neweggd amd vs intel and prices

Laz.e.rus

(edited)

do you think not having tru x16 will hurt me say 2 years from now?

That asus only had one Con listed :

" It doesn't have as many SATA conectors as the A8N-SLI. I had to remove 1 DVD recorder and 1 hard drive. I also had to break my RAID 0. I'll be buying a SATA adaptor card soon"

$229 at newegg tho thats not bad.

Its hard to tell with Mobos. There isnt enough stuff listed.

For example, the one you have cujo (ultrad) seems to be Exactly the same as another dfi thats $65 more, except the ultra-d doesnt SAY sli in the name.

Heres the one thats 195

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813136151

Heres yours : they seem identical yet $65 buys you...?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813136152

I see a lot only have 2 pci slots then like 1 pciX4.

Some have 3 tho. Thats the most Ive found.

sound card + nic card = 2 slot mobo is done.

Is that normal now?

sata/raid? I know nothing of these.

Edited by Laz.e.rus

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o god just kill me!! I have the mobo questions posted 2 up, AND now I see that 2 gb of ddr400 ranges from 79.95 to $238 !!! For 2 gb of same ram!!

AHHHHHHH. Why? The only thing I ever had to look at before was cas 2.5 or 2 was really good, cas 3 was bad. So NOW what are all the variables in the ram?

I see some list "timing". Never heard of that. Plz explain that one too?

Summary so far:

Opteron 175 - $513

MoBo - 229(asus) to 129 (ultraD) to 195 (other DFI)

VidCard - Leadtek 7800gt $299 +-

Ram - ????

After ram and MoBo clarification comes Hard drive discussion, powersupplys, case deals ( dont need any flashy lights - cheap n good)

Glad you guys dont all charge by the hour!! lol

The only Opteron I can afford right now is the 144... And thats a wimpy 1.8ghz but it has 1meg of L2 cache..

And if you missed all the times we pointed out that Opterson are crazy overclockers you can get that at least up to 2.5Ghz.

The only Opteron I can afford right now is the 144... And thats a wimpy 1.8ghz but it has 1meg of L2 cache..

And if you missed all the times we pointed out that Opterson are crazy overclockers you can get that at least up to 2.5Ghz.

Oh I figured it would OC, but wow not to 2.5ghz.. Well, the cheapest I can find that chip is for like $188, so thats not a bad price really..

ya all the 939 opterons are wicked.

the difference between the two dfi's is sli. the ultra d needs a pencil mod to support it where as the sli one, obviously, supports it stock. wait, it also has an extra 4 raid ports. hence the d"r". go with the asus if you're ever going to go sli.

why would you need an extra lan pci card? either the asus or the dfi boards come with dual gigabit. also, the asus comes with 6 sata. 4 on the nf4 and 2 extra. one of those extra is external for those sata enclosures. the only pci card i have is my x-fi. that guy with the con must have a mad amount of drives and also his burner was an sata one. there are still 2 ide channels for 4 devices...

ok, cool!

Summary so far:

Opteron 175 - $513

MoBo - 229(asus)

VidCard - Leadtek 7800gt $299 +-

Ram - ????

Not only do I not understand the timing and whatnot with rams and the 75-235 price range on it, I realized something odd while Im doing this researching.

I noticed one of the AMD advantages is 1 Ghz FSB vs Intels 800. The odd part? I have not see a SINGLE MoBo for AMD that supports ddr500 (1 gig fsb)...what is up with that? Nobodys mfg a board to utilize the chips potential even tho the ram exists? Am I missing smething?

SO.. Ram suggestions and explanation, and ddr400 vs 500 and mobo relationship.

:)

ok it's not 1000fsb it's 1000htt. that's the hyper transport link speed. athlon 64s still run at 200mhz x 2 for ddr. you just have to factor in the hypertransport multiplier (4 on s754 and 5 on s939). if you see it written 2000 that's because they're counting both directions. hyper transport links the cpu, the ram, and the northbridge. it is also such a large amount of bandwidth that dropping it to 800 doesn't have any effect on performance. that's why when people overclock they often have hypertransports under 1000. it adds stability. also, it's why there's no real difference between s754 a64s (800htt) and s939 a64s (1000htt) other than the associated increase with dual channel.

i will come back and recommend some ram after work today.

also, any good overclocking mobo will hit 300htt so just because it doesn't officially support it, it'll still get up there.

oh man... lot of good info here... I was previously sold on the 4400+, but I will now consider the operaton 175. I am also going with the Asus MB that supports full SLI. I will be getting an SLI setup (same one dell puts in their XPS systems) for next to nothing... Dual 7800GTX, OEM though... but I can live with that. RAM, I will be going with the corsair 3500LL stuff.

See the setup here: Next PC

Most of those parts are coming from Dell since I do purchasing for the company I work for... I get a killer deal on most products. :luxhello:

(edited)

i've always liked mushkin. ocz is good as is corsair.

here's some nice mushkin ram. even a rebate right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820146397

gskill is also good. i've been scouring some forums to see what 2gig kits ppl have in their sigs. basically if you're gonna oc then get some pc4000. otherwise get some low latency pc3200.

hmm just found this. my fav is probably the ocz pc4000 enhanced bandwidth (EB). those ballistix own up the standings though.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67762

Edited by Cujo

haven't heard of any problems. you could look at getting a big typhoon heatsink and it's so big it would cool that passive element. i have one and it's probably the best air heatsink in existence.

Hey guys,,

still curious why the recommended PC4000 ram.

Do I NEED a faster ram if Im going to OC?

Will PC4000 even run in a pc3200 MoBo? ( the asus a8n32 u recommended)

Is it that it 1- WIll work, Isnt needed, but for the minor variatioons in price might as well make sure the ram isnt a bottleneck?

Just wanting to understand the Reason for the overkill on the ram.

Thx!!

Hey guys,,

still curious why the recommended PC4000 ram.

Do I NEED a faster ram if Im going to OC?

Will PC4000 even run in a pc3200 MoBo? ( the asus a8n32 u recommended)

Is it that it 1- WIll work, Isnt needed, but for the minor variatioons in price might as well make sure the ram isnt a bottleneck?

Just wanting to understand the Reason for the overkill on the ram.

Thx!!

me too

Ive been doing some more research. Im seeing a lot of the 170's OC to 2.83, and some have hit 2.9

Originally the intent was to go 175 pretty much because its 2.2 vs the 2.0 and lower other opterons.

BUT, if getting 2.5 - 2.6 out of a 170 is a walk in the park, can I really justify the extra $95-$115 (USD) for the 175 ? Is there another benefit I should be aware of for my 100 bucks than the 200 Mhz?

the 11 multiplier. 10 on the 170 shouldn't hurt too much though as long as your board can do 260-280htt. i plan on getting the 170. i'm also getting the crucial ballistix z503 2gig kit. partly cause that's what my store can get and partly cause it looks to be hitting 300fsb for some people. on a 2gig kit that's pretty darn good.

googled it and found some bad news on that ballistix kit...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29743

http://www.sharkyforums.com/printthread.ph...59&page=3&pp=15

Geez, actually Im finding it all over....

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=103680&page=1

actually, in a quick summary, I googled the ram and every single link on the first page I got back from google was someone returning their batch of this memory.

I have seen these quotes "Crucial is aware of the problem and is.."

"Will only work at 2.85v and below.."

"Stable for 2-3 weeks then wont post.."

It appears that ONLY a batch that ends in letter-letter works. Any combination of number-number or letter-number craps out after a couple weeks.

Edited by Laz.e.rus

Been looking into the OCability of the a8n32.

Only problem: I DONT KNOW ENOUGH about this stuff!

I see this line in a OC review: "Overclocking options are very good indeed, with the board allowing a CPU voltage of up to 1.65V, a maximum V-Dimm of 3.1V and adjustable FSB all the way up to 400MHz. "

Hey, sound good right? Well, I started looking in the first place because of Cujo's statement on the 11x multiplier. That quote above doesnt help me. :(

I can understand that 2.5 x 10 = 2.5 Ghz, while 2.5 x 11 = 2.75 Ghz. That part is simple. But I dont know enough about this to know if the a8n32 will take that, or if it even has anything to do with the MoBo. Or what other variables would be required to accept the 2.75 ( such as CPU voltage?) and if its supported.

See what Im saying?

I dont want to spend xtra $ on a chip I cant squeeze the xtra $ out of becuase of the Mobo. I dont want to spend xtra $ on ram that I can never get past the same speed I couldve got for $50 less, etc etc.

Now, if Im running either the 170 OR the 175 in the 2.5-2.7 range, there is no reason for the xtra money for the same speed. BUT, if the 175 goes to 3.0?,,, or if the 175 does the 2.8 safer and smoother but the 170 stretches at 2.7... you get my meaning?

I can find comparisons of the 175 blowing away 148s and 152's no prob, but Im having trouble finding comparisons of 170-175.

Boil down on that part: 170 and ok ram = about $550 . 175 and GOOD ram = about $725. That leaves $175 to explain to myself without enough knowledge to do the explaining...

Edited by Laz.e.rus