First motorcycle?

Rashad

This summer (when the temperature is above 40), I may get my first motorcycle. I have a chance to get a 1988 Honda Shadow in good condition. I really have no preferances as to what style, or brand bike would be right for me.

What bikes are good for first-time riders?

I can't stress enough to get a smaller motorcylcle for a first-timer. I started on a Ninja 250cc. 250 is small, but since it was a ninja, it was fairly quick 0-60 in about 4 i think. with a smaller bike its alot more forgiving, you get a better feel of the way motorcycles handle. I know I would have ate asphault a few times if I started on a 600.

What is the ideal way to go is, ride a 250 for about a month or two then move up. But chances are your not gonna be able to do that. I sold my 250 after a year, still waiting on my 600

GC Alumni
(edited)

The Shadow is a fine bike as a starter, any bike can be dangerous, but that thing isnt a real monster so to speak, good size and weight. Honda's are usually pretty dependable too.

I'm a Harley fan myself, my first bike was at age 16, I built it myself with the help of my friends dad, who owned a shop, it was a 1968 Sportster, I painted it black with green and yellow flames, ahhh.....I remember being young, lol.

I havent owned a bike in quite some time, but I am thinking about getting back in the saddle this year.

Edited by Clueless .gc

I thought because I rode dirt for 5 years and could practically hang off my bike that I could jump right to the big street bikes so I bought a Honda 900RR. Bad move.

You need to be able to handle 100% of the bike's potential. You've got a lot to learn so start small and work your way up. I'm hesitant even suggesting the 600s. Today's street bikes are stupid quick.

Find someone who's coming off a beginner season that wants to upgrade to an intermediate bike. You'll only own the bike for a season or two so don't spend a fortune.

Take a rider course or even better, get on a closed track for some practice. You'll learn your 'leans' and how to analyze turns and entry/exit strats. You can likely get onto a track for the weekend for around $75-$100. Might sound silly now but it will give you a much better chance of surviving a bad situation.

Many Harley dealers offer classes, and most of those Harley dealers also sell Buell bikes and the entry Buel is called the Blast. It's a great small but useable bike, and when you sign up to take the classes you use their bikes. It'll give a feel for things and give you a chance to talk to lots of people making the same decisions.

Personally I don't want a ton of HP at screaming high RPM. I want useable torque, so I like the Harley motors/V twins. It's the motocycle equivalent of the American V8.

I'm honestly having a hard time finding pre-owned motorcycles that are around 200cc. The closest rides to 200 are scooters...Seems like the smallest size out there is 500cc, and the smallest American size bikes out there are 1000cc.

I'll keep searching.

Your not going to find a nice street bike that is going to be under or around 200cc... The smallest is probably going to be a 250cc. (Gotta be able to do the speed limit, especially if u plan to take it on the highways)

B4 winter started, I wanted to get a nice street bike.

You have to decide if u want a european style bike or an american styel bike... then go from there. Euro (leaning forward) Amer. (more laid back cruiser)

I've rode dirt bikes since I was 14 (I'm 21 in a few months). I go to hop on my bro's Honda cruiser, and it's a BIG difference. Main difference is weight. Your best bet is to take a class. The classes offered near me...the 1st day you dont even get on your bike, you walk with it, to get use to the weight.

It's great for safety, which is very important with crazy drivers out there.

Good Luck with your choice, and make sure you're hapy with your purchase!!

I just got my motorcycle's license last summer and rode a 1974 Honda Cb360T. It has been a great beginner bike for me. I even had to fix try to fix it up which took some time but made the experience of owning my own motorcycle all the more enjoyable.

I took a motorcycle class to get my license which was very helpful and worthwhile. It started at the basics of riding a motorcycle. If you have never ridden on any kind of dirtbike or four wheeler it would be a good idea to take a class. I also know that if you are planning on taking a class you should of already signed up for the mailing list and if not do NOW. Then when you get your information reply ASAP otherwise there is a good chance of not getting in.

I would definitely recommend on getting a bike bike 500 or smaller but dont buy a new one for if you don't like ridding you will just be wasting your money and there are alot of nice used motorcycles. Besides if you truely do enjoy riding you will want something bigger in another year or two. I already want a bigger motorcycle and hopefully I will be able to get a BMW F650CS come summer time.

A good site to look at is cycletrader.com if your having a hard time finding motorcycles from there you can find dealers websites within your area too.

I've got a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. Perfect bike for a beginner and big enough to keep you satisfied as an intermediate. It's a comfortable road bike so it drives very smoothly.

It has the same engine that a Ninja has but it is geared so that its very difficult to throw yourself off the bike in first gear. Its also shaft driven with a 5 speed gearbox.

I bought mine new for 6k so I'd say you could probably find one similar to it for about 1.5-3k.

I need to do some work to mine this spring. Needs a new guage pod (crack around the outside). New throttle grip (torn up when a car bumped the bike into the ground in a parking lot). Also need to pull out the custom dent in the gas tank....hehe, the bike died about a mile from the house and the battery died, "YOU BASTAGE!!!" WHAM!!!...dent.

Also gotta change the oil, oil filter, air filter, run some Sea Foam through the tank and injectors, fill the tires, wash, wax, detail <3 my bike.

Two pieces of advice.

1) TAKE THE RIDERS COARSE!!!!!!

2) WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!!

I'm looking at some Indians (motorcycles) on ebay, and they seem nice, but expensive. There were a few that were built in the 40's and 50's that were going for under 5k, but they wern't in the best shape. The problem with Indian is getting parts for em'. I'd have better luck getting parts for a Harley or Buell, since this is WI and all.

im going to tell ya different. depends on the person and what kind of experience u have with other 4 wheelers,dirtbikes,sleds etc... and if your cordinated and athletic at all. if yes I say go bigger, cause thats what your going to want after a week. have any friends or rentals around u can try out?

Unfortunatly none of my close friends ride motorcycles, which is kinda strange come to think of it... there's no way I can really try out any motorcycles without going to a dealership. The closest thing to a motorcycle i've driven is a moped, wich was almost ten years ago.

I would stay away from very old bikes like the Indians at this point, they are cool bikes, but require alot of knowledge and work to keep them road worthy, plus, they arent as comfortable to ride.

I have ridden a ton of bikes in my time, and I would not at all be afraid of a 600cc bike, just because it has tons of power, doesnt mean you have to use it, you can ride as easy as you want, thats what the throttle is for :P

In addition, going bigger like Shep said is a good idea, keeps you from buying a new bike next year. If you are really uncomfortable with the power, you can govern most carbs so they can't be gunned, or even change the sprocket gearing to increase or decrease bottom end. All of which would be cheaper than buying a new bike when you outgrow a 250cc.

• 3 weeks later...

MSF Courses. Do them! Or what Chief suggested through Harley Davidson called Riders Edge. It may seem like a good deal of money to drop on a riding course for either, but think of it as an investment. You wouldn't jump out of an airplane to go parachuting without knowing exactly what you were doing right? This also gives you the chance to ask yourself a few questions before throwing your hard earned money down on a bike. Am I really cut out for the open road on two wheels? Some people really are just not able to do it. Do I really enjoy this? The feeling of being exposed and vulnerable around 2000 lb. cagers is unnerving to a lot of people. Is this something I really want to commit myself to? Unlike a car, you really need to keep your bike in good running order and maintain it. If 1 of 4 tires goes flat or blows out, it is a dangerous situation. If 1 of 2 tires goes flat or blows out, it can be a deadly situation in an instant.

The other thing you will want to do BEFORE you even consider getting a bike is look at some gear. You will go down! Maybe not today, maybe not in 5 years, but it will happen. It might be a little get off (I did this the 2nd day I was on my own Ninja 250) that scuffs your bike and your pride. Or it might be the car next to you on the highway, driver on their cell phone, that switches lanes without looking (happened about a week after I purchased my Ninja ZX-6). You develop the skill to avoid such things, but have the protection just in case. If you want proof that gear saves lives, I can get you many pictures of people who went down with and without it. Not to scare, but to educate. It can happen this quickly (video).

Check out New Enough for good prices on gear. I have ordered from them numerous times, and they are great to work with. Check out their closeouts as well. And remember, you don't always need the $400 helmet. But, make sure you try one on before you buy it! All helmets fit differently, and the shell shapes are all a little different. So where one person may absolutly love their Shoei, Arai, Suomy or other top of the line helmet, another might hate the fit of it with a passion.

Once you have the education and some experience, gear or atleast money set aside for gear, it's time to start your search. I am not saying this is the only way to go about it. I knew that I wanted to learn to ride. I found an awesome deal on a 2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250 with low miles that included a jacket, helmet, and some extras for only $1700. I was looking to sell it for $1900 (more what it was worth) after a season of riding it. Sold it to my brother in law for $1500 since he wanted to learn to ride as well. $200 loss on a vehicle only because it was sold to family. Pretty good deal if you ask me. The 250 will hold its value as long as it stays in decent condition. And there will always be people looking for a good, cheaper starter bike.

Great Ninja 250 group! Check out the forums and FAQs. Tons of good info.

I hope you take some of this info into consideration. I also hope that you act on your feeling of wanting a bike. It is a great experience that I love to see others enjoy. PM me if you want any more info, or help searching for some used bikes!

Edited by General J

Just to throw another one out there. One of my best friends got his first bike when he was 17. It was a 1991 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit. Awsome little bike, but still pretty quick. Easy enough to get used to, he let me ride it up and down the street a couple times, and I had never driven a motorcycle before.

While being fast it's also low enough in the power department that even if you do give to too much in first, no worries about flipping it, he tried and tried but couldn't get that thing to wheelie(even standing on the back pegs and preloading the fork, lol).

Just my $0.02

HTH

-George

Myself did the same as Gen J.. I started out on a Ninja 250. In 2004, I purchased a 2002 Ninja with low miles for only $1600. Its only a 250, but I guarentee you that it is a fast 250. It will still smoke any car off the line and can keep up with bigger bikes around town, but once you hit the highway, you start losing your power around 70-80MPH.

I was in a very very hurry to sell my bike and sold it for $1500. As I said before, I would go with a ninja 250 and when you are ready to step up, you can always get your money back from the ninja and take that next step.

My dad actually started out on a 125 cruiser!!! It was horrible, a kawaski eleminator. He then bought a yamaha 550 last summer(my 250 could still smoke it). He now has a suzuki 800 intruder. I haven't been able to take this one on the road yet, but I can't wait. For some reason, Im thinking this one will smoke the 250.

• 1 month later...

If only I had the time. I'm working much more now, which cuts my free time to about three hours a day. I've had to put my motorcycle fantasy on hold for the time being...the good thing is i'm making money so I can afford to own a bike.

man, Im paying 900 a month in rent + cable, water, cell phone, internet, utilities. Im about to buy a house, morgage will be what Im paying now, and Im gonna get some roomates.. so will cut my costs significantly... After I settle in for a month or two. Its Yamaha R6 time baby.