Last day on the ice

Magruter

Welp March 5th was the last weekend for game fishing in wisconsin, we try to get as many people out as possible his year totalled 15 people coming and going. Thought i'd share a couple pics with everyone. Had a great time and caught some nice fish.

Where we spent all day... This was taken in the morning before most of the crew showed up...

LakeX.JPG

Just a couple dewds

dewds.JPG

Chunky 30 caught by yours truly. (ps make sure you give the camera to a good photographer, and wear a hat!)

me30.JPG

My buddy had a great day iced this nice 34

mark34.JPG

And this 36 (note: i should have made him say "cheese"

mark36.JPG

Arizona Joe and his kid (dillion) Wranging up a snake pike, not worth a pic.

arizona.JPG

Another Buddy Andy got spit out right at the hole:

andy1.JPG

All together i think the group iced about 10 fish all in the morning, he had a very slow afternoon. Now it's time to get ready for open water!!!

Pike, Both have slime and big teeth!! Little buggers are hard to hold on to a couple times. Muskies is illegal to target in Wisconsin from December 1 to April 30th, give or a take a few days.

This lake is carry on only, which makes the fishing that much better. But much more of a pain to get on! This year has been tough to drive on lakes around here. I've heard of alot of cars, snowmobiles, atv's, people going through. Been a rough year.

do u use a steel leader? how many fish have u lost trying to get them through that hole...

Yep steel leaders are the cheapest way to go, i use titatium leaders for musky fishing though. If the water is real clear i use a 40lb mono leader, but normally a 20 or 30 lb steel leader works great!

I don't loose alot of fish through the hole, on bigger fish i stick my hand down the hole and gill em. I probably loose more fish about 3 feet from the hole. They see the light and get really angry!

Do you wear camouflage so the fish can't see you? :D

I know it's a joke.. If you do go on the ice, the brighter the better!! If you do go through the ice, camo isn't going to help one bit for people to see you. That's why i wear a red sweater...

The house to the left on the first picture, is a monster! Haven't meet the people yet, but they have a little speed boat, pontoon and a couple pleasure crafts. They are loaded. He has a ramp with a motorized cart which he uses to take his boats out of the water for storage. They are building an even bigger house on the other side of the lake. Construction was gets pretty annoying when you're trying to fish.

Nice pics there mag. Biggest pike i have caught so far was 45 inches. We thought it was a musky at first. I was only 12 and when i yanked on the line it pulled back and i hit the ice face first rofl.

I love ice fishing for them, but the best is early spring just after the ice melts and the lakes and the trees around are flooded. You see the bobers go under and if its clear enough u can see the bobbers running under the water. Alotta laughs those days :)