RC stuff Real Flight!

Shazz

G3 is like $200. :(

There is a free one, FMS: http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html FMS has prolly a thousand free models out there to fly.

and a free trial/$30 to keep one: http://www.rcflightsim.com/cvweb1/main.jsp

Some people swear by these. Seems to only help with orientation and stick inputs, which aren't really complicated. Although I'm sure anyone doing extreme manuevers has practiced it on a sim first.

The cost difference is amazing. And the programs are just as good. I searched for other programs but to no avail....thanks for the links! :)

The heli on G3 is crazy to fly. Are most heli's that hard to fly? The plane is a blast!! To much fun. Makes me want to go and get one.

Most helis are very hard to fly. There are some that are very easy, like a blade cx or a esky lama, that have 2 sets of blades spinning in opposite directions and no tail rudder.

The helis in FMS are actually pretty easy to fly. The clearview program is more realistic as to how they actually fly.

I've now got 33 flights (which are 10-12 mins each) and am just to the point where I can hover in front of myself in one spot about 10' off the ground. It's a rush, and takes quite a bit of concentration.

Making a recommendation is actually harder than I thought.

The plane is easy. Either a GWS Slow Stick, Estarter, Beaver, or Multiplex Easystar. All are fun to fly.

It's the electronics that are the kicker. Here you really want something that you can tranfer to a different plane, making the RTF kits not as great a value as a build-your-own.

For all it's features and glitch-free operation, the DX6 radio system is the way to go. Altho, it's $200 for the radio, receiver, and 4 servos. That leaves $35 for the first 3 planes above, plus $20 for a brushed speed controller, plus $20/each for a battery, plus $30 for a charger. Or $305 for a system that can grow with you.

You could get that down to $205 with a cheap radio, rx, servo combo. When I say cheap, it's still really nice. Just less channels, more prone to glitches as it's FM and not 2.4ghz, and just won't grow beyond beginner planes. There are also combo deals around, but I can't seem to find any great ones ATM.

It's so hard to recommend tho. Knowing what I do now, I would be getting the DX6 radio for sure (well, I already have one). It is a computer radio that stores models, trims, setups and can be used to fly helis as well as planes. But I also know I love it and will be doing it a long time, so it makes sense for me.

Most of the radios also come with a trainer jack that can be used to connect it to a computer to fly the planes in the sims, which is neat.

Well, most likely it will be a few months before I can buy anyway. With the possiblity of a move across the country in the next few months and preping our house to sell, money is kinda tight atm. My bday is in June, so I could always go for one then. Gives me plenty of time to do my research and a $300 rig wouldn't be out of the question if I used bday money for it.

The airplane on Real Flight G3 would give you a sense of how one really flies. Have you had a chance to d/l and play Real Flight?

It is amazing how that once you get the hang of it...it is very fun and easy.

Now the heli....whole different story. If I dropped 500 bucks or more on one of those things, I would see it in pieces on the ground..lol

The planes in G3 seem to be realistic as far as flight. Left is left; right is right. Hard to account for random winds at different altitudes, or just the 3 dimensional aspect of actually flying. I've not played with it, but watched some people this past Saturday at a swap meet playing it, and have seen it before at the Toledo show. It's neat for sure tho.

I have a cable that connects one of my radios to the computer to fly in the sims. Still have to get one for my computer radio, as that's what I use the most now. That actually makes it feel more realistic. But still, nothing like the real thing for learning. :)

I agree. I looked at a stick plane like the one you have at our local hobby shop.

I also seen a little plane that he wanted to sell me for 100 buck radio and all. Kindof shy'd away from it because it just seem like to good of a deal.

I would like to buy a easy flyer kit and purchase my radios and such. Kindof like BB wants too.

I don't think I would do any heli flyin. Just seems really expensive. But for planes I looked at some Futaba radios. Do you like this brand? I use to have futaba in the 90's when I had a carpet racer RC car. But don't know about them today. this new spektrum technology seems the way with RC cars...but I don't know about planes. Would you go Spektrum? http://www.spektrumrc.com/

I have the DX6 spektrum radio. I think it's great. Kinda middle of the road b/w the low end and the high end stuff as far as features and construction. The greatest thing about it is the 2.4 ghz frequency, which doesn't get interference from motors or ESC noise.

I also have a Futaba radio: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...&I=LXJSH4**&P=0 It's entry level and basically very few features. But it's cheap and sturdy. Futaba makes good radios, as does Hitec.

My choice for an entry level would be a computer radio like the DX6 if you're looking at getting more than just a plane you fly every now and then.

Ok guys whats up...After looking a some Rc Helicopters flying around where i live now i want one. lol looking on the internet has found me really confuzzled. I want to buy either a helicoper or plane gas of course and all the sites say i have to buy the kit than buy each part seperate. now i dont have a problem with that but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. plus if someone is from Toronto or Southern Ontario Canada who is reading this and know of a hobbie shop please contact me. Cost isnt a problem. i would rather not pay alot cause well we all know im gonna crash it the first time but ya so please send me websites or if there is a website which i could just send them 300 dollars or whatever and they send me one fully done. or if u guys want to sell one who already have please message me and send me pics and the price. thanks alot

Chris aka Chester

Chester,

Check out rcgroups.com. There is a section specifically for beginners in planes and helis, whether fuel or electric. There's a lot of really helpful people there.