Anyone in the Waukegan/Gurnee IL area with SBC/ATT DSL?

Ice_Berge_00

Hey,

My phone provider, Verizon, is ending phone service for at least this area and I'm switching my phone to SBC. What I'm thinking about is possibly switching my internet as well from Comcast Cable to SBC DSL. I'm wondering if there's anyone in the Waukegan/Gurnee area that has SBC and might comment on their connection?

Thanks in advance!

sorry I dont have it in that area (michigan), but my dad tried switching from comcast cable to sbc dsl and it was terrible. if and WHEN it worked, it was incredibly slow, but then again that could just be my area. we switched back to comcast after a couple of days of barely being able to access the yahoo hompage.

Hey,

My phone provider, Verizon, is ending phone service for at least this area and I'm switching my phone to SBC. What I'm thinking about is possibly switching my internet as well from Comcast Cable to SBC DSL. I'm wondering if there's anyone in the Waukegan/Gurnee area that has SBC and might comment on their connection?

Thanks in advance!

I live in Darien which is probably about 30 minutes from where you live. I had SBC when I lived in Clarendon Hills, and also in Hinsdale (both still about 30 minutes away) and it sucked all around. Connection speed, quality, downtime. I would not under any circumstances switch from cable to dsl unless you are going business class. If you only have one phone line at your house just get VOIP.

As a Gurnee resident and former communications tech, I'd STRONGLY advise you to stay with a cable modem connection. They're much faster and more reliable (even though it's a shared connection with your neighbors).

What's your motivation for switching?

hmmm inresting points guys.

My main motivation is just cost, they've got a nice sounding deal so I was considering it. I have to change phones anyways and I just use my phone for local calling (my cell for long distance stuff). I was thinking about possibly switching to them if the connection is good to the servers. I don't mind a little drop in speed but I'd like to still have no/minimal loss/choke.

My buddies up in Milwaukee have SBC and they really like it but that doesn't mean around here will be good.

hmmm inresting points guys.

My main motivation is just cost, they've got a nice sounding deal so I was considering it. I have to change phones anyways and I just use my phone for local calling (my cell for long distance stuff). I was thinking about possibly switching to them if the connection is good to the servers. I don't mind a little drop in speed but I'd like to still have no/minimal loss/choke.

My buddies up in Milwaukee have SBC and they really like it but that doesn't mean around here will be good.

If it is just local, stick with your cable package and get VOIP. If SBC is available in your area you can also call Comcast up and bargain with your rate and they will cut it down some or throw in free stuff. They will always tell you they don't do that but if you argue with them long enough they always give in if you threaten to leave.