Ratehacking

Lately, it seems there's been a spurt of people ratehacking, setting their cmdrates or updaterates to extremely low numbers, which masks their latency to proportionate numbers, which allows them to play smoothly on their computers, while allowing their player to "skip" around on other players' screens (Contrary to what some believe, the player themselves play smoothly; they don't lag themselves, only prevents other players from hitting them, I just tried it on my friend's server). So, I was just wondering if something should be done about them or not, and your opinions.

I don't know if regular admins can change people's rates using mani, but I'm pretty sure that LAs can set any client cvar they want.

I suspect that, even though you see a fair number of people coming in like this, there are quite a few who have no idea what's going on. Back around one of the updates (release of de_nuke I believe) my rate somehow reverted to 1,500, and I didn't do that. Similar things might happen to other people, and believe it or not, many players don't even know how to open their console, let alone play with net_graph 3 on all the time.

I don't know if regular admins can change people's rates using mani, but I'm pretty sure that LAs can set any client cvar they want.

I suspect that, even though you see a fair number of people coming in like this, there are quite a few who have no idea what's going on. Back around one of the updates (release of de_nuke I believe) my rate somehow reverted to 1,500, and I didn't do that. Similar things might happen to other people, and believe it or not, many players don't even know how to open their console, let alone play with net_graph 3 on all the time.

Problem is, 1,500 doesn't flip your rates to the extremely low range, i.e double or single digits, which is what causes that. You have to manually set that yourself to get it that low, so either they're acting like they don't know, or they've shared their computer with someone who did, but when you ask them to fix it they still don't.

Problem is, 1,500 doesn't flip your rates to the extremely low range, i.e double or single digits, which is what causes that. You have to manually set that yourself to get it that low, so either they're acting like they don't know, or they've shared their computer with someone who did, but when you ask them to fix it they still don't.

Could be an admin of another server doing it, or someone tricking them into setting ludicrous rates. Also the point of my anecdote was that Steam does wierd stuff. Anyway I just think that some of the people you see lagging have no idea what's going on.

Meatwad sure has a lot to think about while he's camping with that awp.

:smiling2:

...kidding. between the server.cfg, zblock, and over caffeniated admins, i haven't really seen this to be an issue.

(edited)
LOL John.

Hey now, I sit in the more open areas with that awp :spin2: You just don't shoot me fast enough. :peace:

Oh yeah, and Whitey's seen a few around himself, with half the players trying to get them to fix their rates.

Edited by Meatwad

Lately, it seems there's been a spurt of people ratehacking, setting their cmdrates or updaterates to extremely low numbers, which masks their latency to proportionate numbers, which allows them to play smoothly on their computers, while allowing their player to "skip" around on other players' screens (Contrary to what some believe, the player themselves play smoothly; they don't lag themselves, only prevents other players from hitting them, I just tried it on my friend's server). So, I was just wondering if something should be done about them or not, and your opinions.

Thanks for helping explain what I had seen but didn't know what was causing it. This is a just question.

How did you determine that they were using prohibited rates, and how could they have been if zblock doesn't permit it?

Erm, then exactly how do you explain half the players be complaining about their lagging around the map with 5 latency...

(edited)

yeah i have seen a few but i fixed the problem didnt i meat :)

1. how did you qualify it as a problem?

2. how did you resolve it in a "GC style?"

He kicked him after half the players were complaining the entire map of dust2 about him and like 5 of us were telling him how to fix it and he ignored it. This guy's rates were like a guy at 200 ping, he was getting lots of kills and skipping 10 feet or so in the game and no one could hit him. I mean if the server kicks for high pings, which brings about the same result of players skipping, isn't this the equivalent if not worse?

Erm, then exactly how do you explain half the players be complaining about their lagging around the map with 5 latency...

two words: wireless internet.

You don't show up as 5 latency...your latency spikes around...and this specific guy's was at 1 latency...

Oops...quoted the whole thing lol

Edited by Meatwad

1. we don't ban "hacks" without demos. that's been a rule forged in stone since the beginning of time. if we're going to ban someone for rate hacking, there needs to be a demo posted in our admin forum (or here if you're requesting a ban).

2. most people don't understand their rates. i'm not willing to say i fully understand them. if someone took someone elses bad advice and screwed up their rates, i don't want them banned. admins (and members, regs, and pubbers) are expected to be hosts on our servers. if there's an issue with their rates, advise them to fix it. admins can even fix it for them.

i don't want to see this ratehacking thing turn into a witch hunt.

1. we don't ban "hacks" without demos. that's been a rule forged in stone since the beginning of time. if we're going to ban someone for rate hacking, there needs to be a demo posted in our admin forum (or here if you're requesting a ban).

2. most people don't understand their rates. i'm not willing to say i fully understand them. if someone took someone elses bad advice and screwed up their rates, i don't want them banned. admins (and members, regs, and pubbers) are expected to be hosts on our servers. if there's an issue with their rates, advise them to fix it. admins can even fix it for them.

i don't want to see this ratehacking thing turn into a witch hunt.

lol Where did this "ban" concept come from? And quite a few of us were advising him.

i'm not sure what part of the "ban concept" you're asking about. admins are well aware of the demo requirement for hacks. if you're questioning if "ratehacking" is a "hack," well, isn't it implied with the title?

demos for hacks. no ratehacking witch hunting. be a host on our servers.

i'm not sure what part of the "ban concept" you're asking about. admins are well aware of the demo requirement for hacks. if you're questioning if "ratehacking" is a "hack," well, isn't it implied with the title?

demos for hacks. no ratehacking witch hunting. be a host on our servers.

No no, apparently the wording didn't sound correct eh, I meant no one was banned.

I agree with the rest of the stuff.