iTunes Library Updater

stutters

problem: iTunes wants to control the organization of your music. i've been collecting/archiving music for a while before iTunes came along, so it's already pretty organized (genre->artist - full cd titile). i don't want iTunes moving my music, relabeling things, or god forbid, become my mp3 pc's mp3 player (i<3winamp). since i was raised on winamp, most folders/cd's have a .m3u playlist associated with them. when iTunes scans your harddrive, it adds all music, plus all music linked in playlists. in other words, i have duplicate entries for almost everything in iTunes. the only way to clean that mess is manually, and everytime you rescan your drives, it undoes everything. :bang:

solution: iTunes Library Updater

it works with the .NET 1.1 framework, and only deals with updating your iTunes database. you can specify which directories to search and which extensions to include. in addition, it comes with a console version (and great documentation), so you can make a batch to update your library once a day/week/month. that's awesome. if i add 10 new discs to my collection, i just tell itunes library to synchronize, and blamo.

if you've got an ipod + itunes + a hate for itunes, you should check this out.

mookie---it's open source, too :D

GC Alumni

so i'm guessing you're not going to find the utility useful?

i mean we could turn this into a "why iPod's are better than any other mp3 player out there" discussion, but i know all ya'll with your iPod ripoff mp3 players don't want to go down that road. :tongue2:

GC Alumni

maybe the nano's do. i used to thrash my friends 3rd gen 20gb around while we were snowboarding and never managed to break one....even the screen stayed intact. we're talking serious impact.

if you're talking about the nano's, well sure. but anyone who buys one of those for anything BUT looking cool is a fool anyways.

ps - nano's don't make you look cool.

ps - nano's don't make you look cool.

Awwww, now I'n un-cool again. :(

Oh wait, I never was cool to begin with so it's all good. :freak:

Someday I might break down and buy an mp3 player of some sort, but not anytime soon....

:hug: (that better not be your hand SJ)

I haven't so much as updated my iPod in over a month cause I detest everything about itunes...this will hopefully help that seething hatred subside...I don't get to use my ipod that much because I really only bought it for my car and haven't had time to get my Alpine head unit installed...and I can't use one of those FM transmitters because every single frequency is used here in Toronto for radio...and I mean every single one...and they all crank the wattage...so the little transmitters can't compete...hopefully I'll get it in this weekend (if I had a dollar for everytime I say that...I'd have like...$20)

Ok wait. Juan, why are you using iTunes in the first place? You do know that there is a Winamp plugin (and it is built into the latest winamp version) that allows you to sync up your iPod right? So no need for stupid iTunes to ever be installed on your system again cause you can just <3 Winamp all day long.

GC Alumni

i'm winamp oldskool. i hate, and man do i mean hate, the winamp media thing. i can't even bring myself to say it. but you know what i'm talking about.

winamp = plays my music

i = organize my music

itunes = transfers my music

iTLU = updates my itunes database

everything after winamp v2 has been crap. but ever since someone pointed out the global hotkeys, i've been forced into this latest (aol loving) version.