new vid card

FroBoZZ

(edited)

no Im asking, did you notice a difference between

a. 2500+ with your 9700 pro

b A64 3500+ with your 9700 pro

edit*

I think you did what Im asking, but just you just worded it funny..

Edited by NOFX

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no Im asking, did you notice a difference between

a. 2500+ with your 9700 pro

b A64 3500+ with your 9700 pro

edit*

I think you did what Im asking, but just you just worded it funny..

Oh yeah, the 9700pro ran better on the 3500 than it did on the 2500.. But its probably because of the cpu..

ok, i think i am gonna try to return this x1600 pro and put my 9800xt back to work. i will also just order that gig of ram. sitll concerned that my comp wont be able to use it to its ful potential since it came with 2700 speed. it can use higher 3200 cant it? also, how much performance boost are we talking? i can live with a constant 40 fps or so.

yea keep the 9800XT, I had a newer machine

3.2Ghz p4, PC3200 RAM and a 9500 pro and my FPS wasn't horrible.

I suspect you will see a noticable difference if you just get the PC3200 RAM. You can always use that ram in a newer machine if you want to upgrade mobo's in the near future

tek, sm3 is part of dx9.0c. not dx9.

nofx, good points. though if he takes the x1600 back and just goes with the 80 bucks for the ram it's much cheaper.

I don't agree with you...I don't know where you got that from, but SM 3.0 has been a part of DX9 drivers since they came out of beta...? Anyway, if that is true, I am interested in that.

Anywhoo...I think all the afficianados are right. If you have a crappy MOBO, CPU, or inadequate RAM then it is best to spend money on that first...then on a vid card.

Yep!

aight, much obliged to you fellas. gonna order that 1 gig crosshair ram and return my vid card. will let u know how it turns out/keep u updated on my progress and possible quarrels with returning the card. this could get intereseting.

(edited)

tek, dx9 was out with nvidia came out with their fx5800 and 5900 series as well as ati's 9700pro. those cards didn't even support sm2.0b let alone sm3. so if it was part of original dx9 why didn't they even mention it back then? where i got it from was when i was reading an article at some point in the last 2 years. sm3 was added in dx9.0c.

edit - looks like you're right.

"When Microsoft developed DirectX9.0, they foresaw the need to put within it the feature support that will make it last for a few years. Considering that the next DirectX version will not come until Longhorn, which is currently rumored to be out sometime around 2006, this was a solid idea. DirectX9 therefore shipped with support for Shader Model 2.0 (Pixel and Vertex Shader 2.0) as well as Shader Model 3.0 (Pixel and Vertex Shader 3.0). There are three components needed to actually use the new Shader Model 3.0 in DX9: the API, a piece of hardware that can run it, and an application programmed for it. We have had the API since December 2002 and with the NV40 we now have the actual piece of hardware to accelerate it. All that is needed now are games and applications that are written to take advantage of it."

taken from here: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nj...GhlbnRodXNpYXN0

also there, and what probably got me confused was:

"Yes, there is going to be a new DirectX 9 run-time. DX9.0c will be released sometime this year and will contain within it some Shader Model 3.0 tweaks."

so it was there but since neither vid card company used it, there was no code written using it.

Edited by Cujo

tek, dx9 was out with nvidia came out with their fx5800 and 5900 series as well as ati's 9700pro. those cards didn't even support sm2.0b let alone sm3. so if it was part of original dx9 why didn't they even mention it back then? where i got it from was when i was reading an article at some point in the last 2 years. sm3 was added in dx9.0c.

edit - looks like you're right.

"When Microsoft developed DirectX9.0, they foresaw the need to put within it the feature support that will make it last for a few years. Considering that the next DirectX version will not come until Longhorn, which is currently rumored to be out sometime around 2006, this was a solid idea. DirectX9 therefore shipped with support for Shader Model 2.0 (Pixel and Vertex Shader 2.0) as well as Shader Model 3.0 (Pixel and Vertex Shader 3.0). There are three components needed to actually use the new Shader Model 3.0 in DX9: the API, a piece of hardware that can run it, and an application programmed for it. We have had the API since December 2002 and with the NV40 we now have the actual piece of hardware to accelerate it. All that is needed now are games and applications that are written to take advantage of it."

taken from here: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nj...GhlbnRodXNpYXN0

also there, and what probably got me confused was:

"Yes, there is going to be a new DirectX 9 run-time. DX9.0c will be released sometime this year and will contain within it some Shader Model 3.0 tweaks."

so it was there but since neither vid card company used it, there was no code written using it.

Yeah, there are always software features that hardware folks take time to catch up to. Microsoft has been doing about 3-4 revisions of DX9 each year since its introduction. SM 3.0 was really stabilized about 2 years ago. The first cards to adopt that tech in the drivers was nVidia with their 6xxx model cards.