new vid card

FroBoZZ

aight, thinking of getting a 512 mb radeon x1600 pro. it seems solid enough and not too expensive. anyone who has any beter thoughts please share them since i dont know muhc about his sort of thing. just read all good reviews on it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, when all is said and done, probably for about 140 or so. seems like a bunch. how about 75 buks for a BFG 3DFuzion GeForce 7300 GS 256MB DDR2 PCI Express Graphics Card? is that still decent? i want a pretty good card for cheap. however, i am willing to spend up to 200 if it is a really good deal. any suggestions?

I did'nt know the 1600 came in 512 mb cards. Are you sure it's 512 mb?

Anyway find some helpful links below. If you don't feel like reading the reviews

then scroll to the end of the page where you can find a hyperlink index

and click on benchmarks. That will give you measurements on your cards

performance and how it stacks up against the other cards.

THG Graphics Buyer's Guide Spring 2006, Part 1

THG Graphics Card Buyers Guide 2006, Part II

THG Buyers Guide, Part III: All Graphics Cards!

Hope that helps.

Check the thread I posted a few below this...I have put in some links to some reviews online

The thread is "which path should I take."

I think one of the best bets out there now for the $$$ is the geforce 7600 GT. A bit faster than the old 6800GT and pretty dang cheap.

I think it beats the X1600 in a few real world tests, but check it out for yourself.

Those Tom's Hardware links above this are for ATI cards only.

aight, nice links and stuff. i just have one question before buying, i am having trouble finding whether ati or geforce is better for CSS since i dont play unrealtourney or battlefield or any of those at the moment. i heard nvidea was, but that might be wrong.

512 x1600

here is the 512 ati that i was thinking of at first

ok, now i really want to get a good card, is the x1900xtx worth it? i am almost willing to pay for it, if you guys think it actually lives up to its hype. i have read reviews and just want your opinion. should i wait for that top of the line card until next gen or not?

by the way, since i will be looking for best performance, i dont think i will have any AA on or such, unless it effects the gameplay.

ok, now i really want to get a good card, is the x1900xtx worth it? i am almost willing to pay for it, if you guys think it actually lives up to its hype. i have read reviews and just want your opinion. should i wait for that top of the line card until next gen or not?

by the way, since i will be looking for best performance, i dont think i will have any AA on or such, unless it effects the gameplay.

x1900xtx will give you CSS will full eyecandy and good gameplay, if the rest of your comp can handle it. Processor power is the major difference in performance with the Source engine though.

I assume you're just doing a replacement of your 9800? You will be needing an AGP card, so don't buy any PCI-express card (unless you feel like buying a new motherboard as well). I should have posted this earlier, but I didn't notice you were shopping for PCIe cards. Based on what I see on NewEgg, your choices are between an X1600 or 7800 if you're looking to get the best card you can. There will definitely be a wall you'll hit with a 3200 at some point as far as performance goes; I'm sure someone else here can probably estimate where that would be.

If you're looking at replacing the rest of the system at some point in the near future (or at least the CPU and mobo) you should carefully consider how much you want to spend on a new AGP card. You will not want to buy a new motherboard with an AGP slot.

Someone else would be more qualified to say what would be the best card to get, but I personally would not drop much more than $150 if even that in this situation. I can say that I play with a P4 @3.066GHz, and an overclocked Asus 9600GE and I find the performace to be very adequate. I paid about $70 for the 9600 last summer, so I'm sure you could get a better card than that for under $100.

Yeah...make sure you get the right bus (AGP vs. PCI-E).

I'm not sure that ATI makes many of their X1000 series cards in AGP...? Hmmm...

nVidia just release the 7800 GS in AGP and it is pretty reasonable...I think that it is getting some good reviews.

As for which is better at CSS...I don't know. Since that is a Source Engine game...(like HL2) I think it is nVidia. If you check the benchmarks on those links in that other thread, alot of the mid range HL2 crowns go to nVidia.

That is one of the reasons I'm choosing nVidia for my next card, b/c I think it plays HL2 and UT2004 a bit better. But that's just one man's opinion. Check as many benchmarks as you can for yourself. Although I do know that When you really crank the resolution, AA, AF, and use HDR lighting in games (a' la HL2 and some maps in CSS) that the ATI cards perform pretty well.

I've played both ATI and nVidia so...

wait, ur telling me that i want agp? well, the agp is better anyways, so i guess that shold be a given. i want to get the 7600gt, but i cant find it in agp, is it not in it yet?

you need agp if you're replacing a 9800. don't go with anything above a x1600. it's just not worth it. your cpu and ram is dated. look for x1600pro or x800pro. from nvidia a 6800gt or 7600gs agp if it exists. each of those will perform better than your 9800 and will tide you over til you go pcie.

kruten, he does not have an a64. his cpu is his biggest hold up in source. even my a64 dual core at 2.8ghz is limiting me in source.

aight, will look for those agp cards. guess i confused pci and pci express mook. just wish i could get pci express. nuts. by the way, umass owns in lacrosse

oh, i couldnt find agp cards for any of thsoe u listed cujo. of course i might just be blind. no chance of using pci express?

you need agp if you're replacing a 9800. don't go with anything above a x1600. it's just not worth it. your cpu and ram is dated. look for x1600pro or x800pro. from nvidia a 6800gt or 7600gs agp if it exists. each of those will perform better than your 9800 and will tide you over til you go pcie.

kruten, he does not have an a64. his cpu is his biggest hold up in source. even my a64 dual core at 2.8ghz is limiting me in source.

Yeah, I typed that before I realized that fact.

any new AGP video card will be bottlenecked by your CPU and RAM. I would keep your 9800 pro....

If you drop a new AGP card, you won't get the full performance because of cpu and RAM. When you upgrade your CPU and RAM, the video card will be worthless because

a. It will be a low end video card and your machine could push alot more.

b. Its an AGP card(which is not found on any motherboard made today)

interesting. so upgrading/buying a new computer is a better idea? i am not the type to really customize my own comp with parts from new egg or anyting. i have always bought stock or so from best buy for reasonable prices. i am sure my friend will help me build a new pc. what is a good processor and such to get? sheesh, cant believe my comp is already outa date. thought it was decent. gonna be a poor man after all these comp upgrades.

call be a big sap, but this would probably be close to wat i would get and where i would get it from. go on, i am ready to be called names and such for the price and such. of course, this is if i dont just upgrade vid card

new comp

Ewwwww......store bought. The 300GB hard drive on it is probably a waste and you would be getting lower performance with the graphics with the integrated video. The best way would still be to build it yourself or have someone build it for you if you upgrade most of the computer. Besides, some of the old parts could probably be used.

aight, made up my mind. gonna wait till next gen cards and ram come out. meanwhile, just gonna upgrade to a x1600pro or 7800 gs. will let u know how it goes

Good luck...

check this out

All are AGP and all have 16 pixel pipelines (min I would consider for modern games like CSS).

That's just to give you idea.

Happy hunting, let us know how it turns out.