Pittsburgh fans hold their collective breath

duma

(edited)

My Mom (who lives in Pittsburg), just called to tell me that Ben wrecked his motorcycle. He has been taken to the hospital and doesn't know his name, or what happened. We are all very concerned.

Edited by duma

This is serious. He has a broken jaw, lost his teeth, and there are mixed reports about his head (cuts to broken).

Apparently he went head first into the windshield. The doc reports that he is in "serious but stable condition." My mon said the accident scene looks really bad.

This just sent shockwaves through the fantasy football world. All the sites have a general update about it.

Nothing specific reported as of yet. Duma has the most info so far...keep it coming.

I just saw on tv how serious the injuries are. I didn't realize that before.

The total: broken jaw, injuries to both knees, fractured skull, and loss of teeth.

This was a horrible tragidy and I take my previous comments back. I appologize to any I might have offended.

Edited by meherdmann

at 23 years old and speculation on whether he was wearing a helmet or not. That's bad. His attitude was "if the ammendment allows us to not wear them, we have the right to invoke it". I wonder as a football player, if given the opportunity, would he play with no helmet?

Motorcycle can be dangerous, without the proper protection your life is in danger. Lets hope he was wearing a helmet.

YAY!! Take that Pittsburg!! FINALLY SOMEONE OTHER THAN WINSLOW WRECKS HIS BIKE!!!!

Perhaps on omen of how well Pittsburg will do this year.

I'm predicting the Steelers will go 0-16, with the Browns winning the division.

(can you guess where I'm from?)

:luxhello::boing:

Dude...your cold.

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was badly hurt in a motorcycle crash Monday and undergoing surgery. The extent of his injuries was not known.

Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition, said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital.

One Steelers source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Roethlisberger was in surgery for a broken jaw, an injury that can take approximately seven weeks to heal. The Steelers season starts in 12 weeks.

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger likes to ride without a helmet, a habit that once prompted coach Bill Cowher to lecture him on the dangers.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. The Associated Press reported it wasn't clear whether he was wearing a helmet or not.

The crash happened at an intersection at the edge of downtown at about 11:30 a.m. A pool of blood was still visible there by early afternoon.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

ROETHLISBERGER_MOTORCYCLE_ACCIDENt.jpg

The total: broken jaw, injuries to both knees, fractured skull, and loss of teeth.

This was a horrible tragidy and I take my previous comments back. I appologize to any I might have offended.

Edited by meherdmann

YAY!! Take that Pittsburg!! FINALLY SOMEONE OTHER THAN WINSLOW WRECKS HIS BIKE!!!!

Dude...your cold.

I was just frustrated last year that Kellen Winslow did the same thing last year. I'm a Browns fan, so to me this is really good news for me as Roethlisberger is a hated player here in Cleveland. I personally hope he's out the entire year so that Pittsburg can know what it's like to lose a player for a year due to a stupid off the field accident.

I guess I look at it in a different light. Winslow had a leg injury that he can recover from. The way it sounds is Roethlisberger had Head trauma. 2 complete different injuries. One Winslow can come back and play football, and the other is I hope Roethlisberger can play again...period.

I don't care if I hated someone or not, I wouldn't wish this kind of vengence for a player that is on the opposing team.

btw...were you rooting for the Buckeyes to win the championship at Tempe...or were you hoping that Winslow (who played for Miami in that game) would win or get injured like Willis McGehee did?

<makes note to stop at Meherdmann's house on the way up to the Browns/Steelers game to leave a "gift" on the front porch>

You wear orange for cryin' out loud...

Edited by meherdmann

Bad news for anyone. How can you be glad that a guy was in a bad accident?! It doesn't matter if he's not one of your favorite people, it's still a horrible thing to happen to someone. He has family and friends that are worried about him, not just sports fans, and to say that you hope he's hurt real bad or out for the season is a horrible thing to wish on someone.

On another note, if he wasn't wearing a helmet, he should have been. That just shows a blatant disregard for safety and a lack of concern for his family. Even if he doesn't want to wear one for himself, he should still think about how his death or serious injury would affect his family, and wear one anyway. Not to mention the whole "sports stars as role models" bit.

Helmets save lives, just like seat belts. I won't even go bicycle riding with someone if they don't wear a helmet. It's just not worth it. I hate when I see parents riding their bikes with their children and the kids are wearing helmets but the parents aren't. Come on, lead by example!

Edited by meherdmann

I really hope he is ok and that he can recover. No matter how much I root against a player/team I would never wish them to get seriously hurt.

Be careful when you condemn someone for acting stupidly or dangerously. If everyone that acted in that manner were punished for it I think we all would be hurting.

Sounds like he was conscious and aware before he went into surgery. That is a good sign.

Dude...your cold.

I was just frustrated last year that Kellen Winslow did the same thing last year. I'm a Browns fan, so to me this is really good news for me as Roethlisberger is a hated player here in Cleveland. I personally hope he's out the entire year so that Pittsburg can know what it's like to lose a player for a year due to a stupid off the field accident.

Ya know, here's where I differ. I felt bad for my friends, and those silly people who are Browns fans when KW Jr. wrecked his bike, simply because that's what always happens to Cleveland fans and their teams. HOWEVER, my personal reaction to his accident was "What an idiot" This was after hearin that the injuries were primarily limited to his knee. I was not "glad" he got hurt. I did not like the guy, and I do think KW Jr. is an abject idiot for his actions on and off the field, but I was not happy he missed the season.

I was also upset when Carson Palmer went down in the playoff gama. I HATE the cincinati bungles. I like Marvin Lewis, and I think they have many talented and nice people on their team. Was I glad that Pittsburgh (with an "H" at the end) beat them? Heck yes. Would I rather they spanked them with Palmer at the helm? Absolutely. (and make no mistake, they would have, injury or no)

This goes WAAAAY beyond sports, which let's face it, is a GAME played for ENTERTAINMENT. This is a guy's life we're talkiong about.

But then again, I don't expect much more from MOST clowns fans.

Get a freaking clue.

Edited by Wolfsblood

Edited by meherdmann

This was a horrible tragidy and I take my previous comments back. I appologize for any I might have offended.

Its all good. :)

I just hope the Big fella pulls through this and is able to play football again.

This was a horrible tragidy and I take my previous comments back. I appologize for any I might have offended.

It's all good. :hug:

I had already read all the news reports and (confession) had been drinking down at the pub prior to posting, so may have come across a little "loose cannon-like" before.

Buy ya a beer at FF if yer there. :peace:

All I see is a box that says "Image Hosted by Tripod"

Cower should be mad. I'd be mad. After what happened to Winslow last year you'd think that he'd be more carefull.

He even had Terry Bradshaw tell him to park the bike until he retires.

Maybe now he'll take that into consideration. He's lucky to be alive.

Edited by meherdmann