Hrm..help moiving steam/CSS to new pc

Laz.e.rus

k.

I wanna put a copy on steam and hl2/cs etc on the new pc.

First prob: The original Cds are floating around another state somewhere after the exwife got hold of em. Can I still copy over and run?

I did the backup files for CSS..that alone will fill one dvd. ouch

If I copy EVERYTHING to a diff HDD, then install that HDD in new pc and copy EVERYTHING tp that one, will it work ok withut the cds/key/etc?

Obviously my key/account is good, but Ican i transfer it without re-inputting it?

You can just copy your whole Steam folder onto the new computer. Install Steam before or after, then once you log in it'll use the files already there instead of downloading the whole thing. I'd recommend getting the new machine all set up, then adding the old hard drive as a second disk and copying it right over.

the clincher is the key...

forums had this to say..didnt look good.

Steam must all be kept together, you won't be able to move only part of it.

Let's say you ran out of space on your C: disk and want to move Steam to your larger E: disk.

To successfully move Steam over to the E: drive you have to move:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ <everything>

to

E:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ <everything>

Important Note

Once you have moved the files, you will need to run the Steam Installer to re-register your Steam installation (failure to do so may result in "steam:// is not a registered protocol" errors when attempting to register a CD Key or place an order through Steam).

Please download and run the Steam Installer and specify the new directory you will be using for Steam when completing the installation process:

Get Steam Now

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=getsteamnow

Any shortcuts to Steam on your desktop will need to be updated as well - you can just delete the old shortcut and drag and drop a shortcut (right-mouse button) for the moved Steam.exe on your desktop.

When you start Steam up it will do a short update, check the installation and re-create the blob file for the new location and you should be ready to play.

Same rules apply if you want to move your Steam install to a different computer, you'll have to use file sharing or burn CDs or DVDs with the content to accomplish the move.

If you use CDs or DVDs, be sure to make sure none of the Steam files become marked "Read Only" when you copy them off the CDs - all the Steam file need to be writeable.

CD keys are already attached to your Steam account. Just install on a new machine and log in, and you'd already have the option to download all the games you already own. Then (or before) copy any files you'd prefer not to have to download. What that answer is mainly talking about is the fact that all of Steam's files need to be in a single directory. It would follow that Steam all has to be on a single partition, unless you could somehow replace some parts of it with symbolic links to another part of the filesystem.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

Run the steam installer and do whatever you have to do to get the backups installed (never had to do this myself). If you were to just copy the files from one hard drive to another it wouldn't work because the steam installer creates alot of information in your registry that must be copied as well.

yea I have never owned a source cd. Just log into steam and it will download it. CDs are probably faster though

He probably has some things that would be a pain replacing like any models or mods.

Discs are much faster. I have a scratch on cd-4 of Half-Life2 and it will never load game properly. So I have to d-load everytime I do new install. Typically, HL2 takes about 2.5-3 hours for about 4GB of data. It is nice they have you registered tho', b/c without that, I would have been screwed outta my $40 for the games.

Also, couldn't you ghost your whole HDD and all progs onto your new HDD???

Prolly pick up a *ahem* "cheap" version of norton ghost. There is also a prog called Clone-Maxx that is free for a trial period...never tried, but I have a friend who says it works well.

I copied over the whole steam folder form 1 to the other.

Still needs to intall all of my steam games....grr

Oh well, as long as it doesnt ask me for a cd key Im cool. Prolly not cuz its letting me DL it.

And I get to keep all of my maps/cfgs, etc, so I guess its better than nothing.

But if I get through 2.5 hrs of DL and it asks me for a cd key, something WILL break in this room :)

all my stuf is there. runs video test. I can see all my favs.

When I connect to a server I get No Steam Logon and kicked.

Verified integrity

Discovered HalfLife2 was only 75% DLd...dunno why it stopped.

Im finishing that...man I hope this works. The team customer help page it directed me to with the error doesnt exist,,,

well, its working now...but wierdly

Im getting like 200 fps, thats cool n all, but fps_max is set at 100...so ..why?

sound is a lil funny. This onboard is not NEAR as good as my old card.

And, Im getting choke. I have no idea. why.

running 50/50 as before and choking..with crazy fps. Any guesses?

Lotsa wierd stuff like that. Doesnt make a lot of sense.

Should I be setting something? Affinity or some weird dualcore fix or something?

onboard video? besure you have all the right drivers for your video card and chipset. if your cpu is being taxed 100% because ur video card can't keep up, it could cause choke cuz the cpu can't handle the load the network card is giving it....sounds lame..and i'm not sure why...but it could be the reason

Edited by selfcontr0l

sound is a lil funny. This onboard is not NEAR as good as my old card.

hahah

onboard SOUND :)

video is a 7900gt

dropped my rate from 30000 to 25000

upped cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate to 100 each.

cleared up most of the weirdness.

Sound still blows though.

I never wouldve thought my old SB audigy was a "good" card...but as anyone whos played in TS with me knows, I used sound a LOT to pinpoint enemies. Thats hard to do now.