Disk Defragmenting Problem

Rashad

I use Norton Speed Disk to optomize my drive. However, the defragmenting process froze at 74%. I let the deragmenter run overnight to see if it might continue on to 100%, but 8 hours later, the defragmenter was still at 74%. I have 8GB of free space, so i'm not sure why the defragmenter stopped at 74%.

Please help! :D

Have you installed any new service packs to windows?

I have NS premeire 2006 and havent had this issue but here are some reasons why it might do that:

* Other programs running in the background

* Windows Task Scheduler tries to start a scheduled task

* Corrupted files in the Applog folder

* Improperly configured swap file

Edited by TheReverend(c)

(edited)
I have one 80GB drive, with 8GB of free space. I suppose removing some programs (games) wouldn't hurt.

time for a new hard drive... If I was in your position, the most effecient and easiest thing to do is....

Buy a new drive, watch slickdeals, Deals on Hard drives pop up all the time. I just bought a 300 Gig for 80 bucks. Set this new drive to be your master and your old drive as your slave.

Sure you have to install windows on the blank drive, but you still have all your data on your slave. My master is an 80 gig and I only had 25 gigs of free space left(DVD iso's, hogging it). I notice counter-strike bogging down around the 50% mark.

Edited by NOFX