Good read on LAN parties

Chamber

Just ran across this on Toms, and thought i'd share it. Considering we were talking about this exact thing, and how we don't want to turn FF into a bigger LAN.

http://www.twitchguru.com/2006/07/12/the_d...of_a_lan_party/

Great read Chamber - good points all around.

I have to say though that the picture from Norway just blows my mind.

yea that last norway pic, holy jeez...

Yup....and make sure you read through the last page. The final few paragraphs fit us nicely, if you were there to hear my little blurb during the prize awards.

It is a sad state when the grunt who loves gaming now is following someone who once did but loves the power, money, and status their event now warrants.

Well, you guys are safe because you knew from square one that I was in it for the power, money, and status, right? :D

What I need to do is continue to grow our staff so that I have more time to spend with the people instead of doing things. Believe it or not, if I walk by someone and I can't instantly tell you their handle w/o glancing at their nametag, then I am a little bothered. Does this mean I don't want to grow? Heck no...there's room to have more of a good thing...but it does mean that I'm going to need more PR time and less time as Mr. Stretch Armstrong.

I honestly think there is a point to which GC and Fragfest can grow before it goes beyond what it was origionally meant to do. I don't think that our growth potential is infinite mainly because a huge portion of the world doesn't like to operate like we do (Interstate 95 anyone?)

What I need to do is continue to grow our staff so that I have more time to spend with the people instead of doing things. Believe it or not, if I walk by someone and I can't instantly tell you their handle w/o glancing at their nametag, then I am a little bothered. Does this mean I don't want to grow? Heck no...there's room to have more of a good thing...but it does mean that I'm going to need more PR time and less time as Mr. Stretch Armstrong.

Running for office? :biglaugha:

As they say in a favorite book of mine "Relax and have a home brew...".

I'm more than glad to help out. Being on the upper end of the age curve, I find myself looking at

name tags to remember who the heck I was just talking to. Oh yeah - and turning around so that I'm

on the right side of the name tag! :D

In all seriousness though - I think manageable growth is be good. But then again, look at your

roots. Where were you a couple of years ago? Just remember that. You guys threw a great paty!

:luxhello::luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

less time as Mr. Stretch Armstrong.

Problem is that your the one everyone knows is staff.

Maybe we can get little icons to display over the staff so we can find them easier :D

damn real life world...LOL