If you can figure this out....

mrX

So I go to connect to my website, http://www.jdrlaw.com , yesterday morning to check stats. "Server not found" error. Try a few more times to connect, same error. Had to be in court, so I loaded pingplotter and let it go (pinging the IP, not the domain name).

Came back to a hop with 100% packet loss. At this point, I typed the IP for the site in the address bar, and up popped the site. Strange. The domain name was still not working. Called my wife to check from her office, and the domain name worked. Site was fine for her. It was apparently fine also for the 100+ visitors I had.

Contacted Godaddy about it, their response was that everything was fine and that I should contact the ISP. The site showed up for them.

Contacted roadrunner tech support. Typical unplug this, wait, retry stuff. They ran some "tests" and said everything was fine.

I've got no problem connecting to any other sites, but can only access my own now via a proxy. What seems strange is that the only way I can connect to my site is thru the IP. Which should rule out a routing issue.

I re-contacted Godaddy today and they tried everything they could to no avail. Some guy with a fancy title even checked into it.

Wondering if anyone else has run into this, and what possible cause there could be. Godaddy and Roadrunner both say everything is fine. :bang:

mrX
GC Alumni
Maybe you got hacked. :(

Not sure what you're referring to. None of my computers at home can connect. And the site works for everyone else it seems.

I'm gonna check with my neighbors to see if it works for them. Maybe something to do with roadrunner.

mrX
GC Alumni
Cheap way to advertise your business.. :)

lol!!! Doubt I'd get much business from around here!

Ok. I switched my IP address (as you forum admins can see), and I still can't connect.

When I go to http://www.dnsstuff.com it now says I'm located near Loxahatchee, Florida. With my other IP, it was saying Herndon, Virginia. No idea.

This is the strangest thing.

This is all I see when I click on the link in this post:

My Desktop

mrX
GC Alumni
The link works for me using IE7 beta. You've probably done this but just to make sure, have you emptied your cache?

Yes, by all accounts I believe it has nothing to do with my setup (emptied cache, pinged from cmd, direct modem connect and several other things). I've got 3 separate computers, and none of them can access the page. Can only access it if I type the IP in the address bar.

Is it possible that your network adapter settings have become damaged such that you are unable to access any DNS servers? If you're using Win XP you can run Network Diagnostics from the Help Center to test this.

Maybe you got hacked. :(

Not sure what you're referring to. None of my computers at home can connect. And the site works for everyone else it seems.

I'm gonna check with my neighbors to see if it works for them. Maybe something to do with roadrunner.

What I meant was. You could've been hit with a trojan/spyware/virus that is blocking you from getting to your own website. So that someone else might take control of it. Something along those lines. :unsure:

mrX
GC Alumni

Well, I've cozied back into my old IP address.

The problem seems to have righted itself. I changed Nameservers yesterday and, apparently, after the propagation period, everything is ok now. Not sure whether this is what fixed it, or something else.

But it's working now.

Regardless of what it was, I'd bet money that it was a DNS issue. I thought maybe you had a static entry in your hosts files but since it's resolved itself, it might have been a dns cache issue (not the same as browser cache).