Motorcycle people...

Playaa

So I REALLY want to get a Motorcycle...for a couple reasons...the "Fun Factor" and for the simple fact that I drive an hour to work every day and 80% of the time it's nice enough to be in a motorcycle so I'd like to save mileage on my car (put about 40,000 miles on it in a little over a year).

So...where should I start?

I really would rather have a cruiser than a crotch rocket...but I'd be ok with either.

I wouldn't like to spend much more than $5,000 on a used bike and don't really want to deal with a brand new bike. I'm a big guy (6'2" 290lbs) with only the teeniest amount of motorcycle experience. Also I would drive about 50% highway, 30% back roads and 20% city.

so...no idea where to even begin...I don't know at all what kind of bikes to look for.

:shrug03:

LOL !! Mag hard at work again !!!!

I would go with a Honda CBR or Kawasaki Zx, both of them make VERY good bikes....stick with a 600, you dont need more than that, 1000's are wicked fast, and can be dangerous if its your first bike...and 750's are a waste of money because its only a little bit bigger in the engine....but the weight goes waaay up.

For 5000 bucks...you can definately get a good used bike, probably 2000 to 2002 year range.

clueless is mentioning crotchrockets.. I would suggest a 2002 or so.. If your looking at cruisers. check out Suzuki Intruders.. Honda Rebels.. They are cheaper than crotchrockets, plus they are still fun. My dad got a 99 Intruder for like 3000 at the begining of the summer.

Honda Rebel or Yamaha V-Star is what I would recommend. If you go the crotch rocket way... an older CBR is what I started on... great bikes, and very forgiving... keep in mind though an older CBR 600 was at one time the race bike of choice... they are still very fast... it just isn't stupid power like a 1000.

Stay away from 750. not because of weight, but power and how light they are these days... very aggressive bikes... then again, the older ones weren't much better then the 600s.

Honda Rebel or Yamaha V-Star is what I would recommend. If you go the crotch rocket way... an older CBR is what I started on... great bikes, and very forgiving... keep in mind though an older CBR 600 was at one time the race bike of choice... they are still very fast... it just isn't stupid power like a 1000.

I would have to agree.

I would recommend going with one of the bikes above just because riding an hour on a crotch to and from work will not be as comfortable as one of the bikes above.

never seen one, but I will tell ya I passed up an offer on a

2002 ZX-6R ninja, with two helmets and a bike cover, slightly over 4k miles for only $4,000. Im kicking myself in the arse.. but I didnt really like the green with the checkered flag on the bottom, nor the green rims..

Yea, your size you need a 600+. You could get away with a 450 but not for that distance.

Bikes are a blast...going on 20 years owning mine now...course I rarely ride it now...kids will do that to ya.

Whatever you pick up I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Oh, advice to look into? Make sure you get one that will run without a battery. Many a times I've been stuck or having to ride while tacking out 2500 cause my battery is drained under that RPM.

(edited)
Yes there is like a motorcycle license. It's called a M-License. You have to go to class and show competency.

not necessary.. I took a book test, got my leaners... 6 months later I took took a road test and got my license.

You can take the MFC course, but thats for sissies.. jk :D

Edited by NOFX

actually I was planning on taking the MFS test (same thing as the MFC? MFS stands for Motorcycle something Safety...or something)

apparently in Missouri if you take the course and pass it you get to waive the written test and just show up with the certificate and they give you the temporary license.

Take the MSF course! If you have no experience on a 2 wheeled, motor powered vehicle, it is a good move. You will tell by the end of the course (2-3 days) whether it is for you or not. I would suggest taking the course before ever purchasing a bike as well.

Do not fall into the "600's are the perfect starter bike" trap. I like to think of a 250cc bike as the Mustang GT or Camaro SS of bikes. A 600cc is like the Ferrari, Porsche, or Saleen. A 1000cc+ bike is the F1 of the bike world. A 600cc sportbike is a serious machine, putting out 100+ hp to move a 350-400 lb vehicle. Even the 250cc sportbikes are serious machines, and have the potential to kill you if you make a wrong move. You don't have 2000 lbs of steel surrounding you, or airbags for cushioning, so invest in some good gear! And I would definitly not suggest a Speed Triple to a new rider! 1050cc 3-cylinder that puts out 128hp is not a newbie bike.

You are talking about commuting quite a long ways. Bikes are tons of fun, and will give you a whole new outlook on the road. Just remember that they have no creature comforts like a car, such as A/C, heat, a roof to block rain or hail. If you are doing it just to save money on gas, don't bother. You will save at the pump, but lose when looking at tires and maintenance. If your car gets 25-30 mpg on highway, you will come out about even. I am assuming you will mostly be on the highway during your commute, which raises your chance of "cager didn't see me while they were drinking their coffee, reading the morning paper, putting makeup on, and talking on the cell phone, and now I am dead" syndrome pretty high. You learn to avoid these situations, but they are pretty common place.

Hopefully you decide you really want to ride, and find a good deal on just the right bike. I have been without my bike for about a year now (thank you greedy thief :( ) and I can tell you that once you start riding, you get addicted! I am going through withdrawals not being able to get my fix.

yeah J I was wondering when you'd see this topic. :)

Did you take the MSF course in St. Louis? I hear there is one somewhere in St. Charles which is probably the easiest location for me to get to.

As for reasons for doing it...I have a few:

1) I've always wanted a motorcycle.

2) Most of my really good friends have them now (they all got them recently) and I'd love to just go cruising our back roads with them.

3) I have over $10,000 worth of debt put into my current car (i.e. it Blue Books at $9,000 and I owe $21,000) so I'd like to have a way of keeping the miles lower on it so it doesn't die before I've payed it off. I also really don't want to buy a junker car because I don't want to deal with a bad car...I've done that for a long time and they are the REASON I have $10k in debt in this car.

I also don't plan on automatically going on the highway. Hopefully I can get the bike really soon and ride it around my area at night and just enjoy it...then by the time Winter is over I'll be skilled enough on the bike to take it out on the highway...

6'2", 290lbs...I wanna see video of you on a 250:)

My 550 is rated to carry about 300 lbs and you can tell when you are at that point or over.

Take the course...you will ride 250s there & see how you don't want to buy one.

Just take the course!!!

I wouldnt recommend buying a 250cc just because after a few months you won't want it. My 1974 Honda 360 has like a carrying capacity of around 300lbs. Just spend your money wisely and you probably should take the class before you go buy a motorcycle.