New soundcard

dragonfly

So I was wondering what you guys/gals would suggest for a new soundcard. I am currently using the onboard with my s939 Asus Premium, but that simply will not do. I do record music, :peace: so I need something a little bit better.

I had my eye on the X-Fi Platinum and Fatal1ty cards, but seeing as I'm getting plenty of frames as is in games, I am having a hard time telling myself to spend another $100 to go Fatal1ty. Is there a huge difference in other than fps for gaming?

Any and all suggestions welcome. Btw, it will be paired up with a Sony 755 watt reciever w/ 6.1 (though most likely 5.1). I have optical, and love the clarity with that even though i'm only using onboard.

-Dark

So I was wondering what you guys/gals would suggest for a new soundcard. I am currently using the onboard with my s939 Asus Premium, but that simply will not do. I do record music, :peace: so I need something a little bit better.

I had my eye on the X-Fi Platinum and Fatal1ty cards, but seeing as I'm getting plenty of frames as is in games, I am having a hard time telling myself to spend another $100 to go Fatal1ty. Is there a huge difference in other than fps for gaming?

Any and all suggestions welcome. Btw, it will be paired up with a Sony 755 watt reciever w/ 6.1 (though most likely 5.1). I have optical, and love the clarity with that even though i'm only using onboard.

-Dark

Just wondering. You're saying that going with Fatal1ty over Platinum will give you more fps?

I myself have Audigy 2 ZS but I had it for couple of years I heard that X-Fi should be better though.

platinum vs fatality the only difference is ram. fatality has 64mb and platinum has 2mb. honestly, i haven't even heard of a game with support for the xram.

maudio, from what i've heard, is the best for recording. x-fi was designed for gaming first and other stuff second.

i have the platinum and i love it so of course i recommend it. especially vs the integrated audio on the nf4 boards. music and movies are crystal clear and the 24bit crystalizer really makes a difference with lower quality stuff.

wow...

That M audio looks like what Ive been wanting to get, but didnt even know it existed!

Tell me more. I checked out the site you linked to.

Is that Live Lite a timed trial version that its bundled with? Or just fewer features?

That 44 looks pretty good.

wow...

That M audio looks like what Ive been wanting to get, but didnt even know it existed!

Tell me more. I checked out the site you linked to.

Is that Live Lite a timed trial version that its bundled with? Or just fewer features?

That 44 looks pretty good.

As far as I can tell that's the full version, at least there's a free upgrade to the full version being offered from M-Audio so I assume that it will be bundled with a new card and if not you can get it from their website. I've never actually tried Ableton Live though so I can't really say much about it. I can make some assumptions about the Lite vs. the Full version: very limited effects; limited processing; limited instruments (assuming it comes with any at all); limited to stereo only. Again, I've never used it so this is all just an assumption.

Thanks guys, net has been down adn so has phone, so i coulndt get back on here

I'll check that linky out, thanks!

as for fatal1ty over platinum, i read that soemwhere, but i cant remember where. they said it frees up your ram by using xram or something like that.

anonymo, i want to hear some of your stuff some time!

I do want this thing to be able to do rec and gaming too, but i suppose a little more for recording. thanks for the info guys.

Thanks guys, net has been down adn so has phone, so i coulndt get back on here

I'll check that linky out, thanks!

as for fatal1ty over platinum, i read that soemwhere, but i cant remember where. they said it frees up your ram by using xram or something like that.

anonymo, i want to hear some of your stuff some time!

I do want this thing to be able to do rec and gaming too, but i suppose a little more for recording. thanks for the info guys.

it just uses it's ram to buffer game sounds. problem is the game still has to be made for it much like ageia's physx card. and with 2gb of memory i'm not sure how much use it is anyway. it's ONLY 64mb.

how much better is a soundcard compared to motherboard sound ?

depends on the onboard sound. most new intel and amd boards come with high definition codecs that are actually quite good. especially the realtek ones. a sound card will still win out at this point, especially in games.

I have the realtek on my NF4. I INSTANTLY noticed a drop in quality with this on-board sound. And thats compared to my old Audigy 1 Gamer. Even playing with headphones, game locations are diff and lower qualtiy. With bigger games like Oblivion, the sound gets choked out/cant handle it and starts dropping voices.

I have the realtek on my NF4. I INSTANTLY noticed a drop in quality with this on-board sound. And thats compared to my old Audigy 1 Gamer. Even playing with headphones, game locations are diff and lower qualtiy. With bigger games like Oblivion, the sound gets choked out/cant handle it and starts dropping voices.

when i said new i meant new. not nf4. nf5 and new intel chipsets. both have hi-def audio. the codec depends on the board manufacturer but most are using the realtek 880 or 882. both VERY good integrated solutions. especially the latter which does dolby live if i'm not mistaken.