do u have a computer job?

shep48

Rare indeed ........... I'd honestly be surprised if that's an accurate figure, of course it also depends on where he works, who he works for and exactly what he's doing.

When I lived and worked in London, I hired a C++ quantative developer with 3 years experience into an Assett Management company for $150,000 US. But even within a major financial institution, in London, that was an exceptionally rare salary for that experience level.

Normal salaries were nearer $100K, but that's working as quantitative/analytics developer for an investment institution in the equivalent to Manhattan.

Edited by Leveller

Rare indeed ........... I'd honestly be surprised if that's an accurate figure, of course it also depends on where he works, who he works for and exactly what he's doing.

When I lived and worked in London, I hired a C++ quantative developer with 3 years experience into an Assett Management company for $150,000 US. But even within a major financial institution, in London, that was an exceptionally rare salary for that experience level.

Normal salaries were nearer $100K, but that's working as quantitative/analytics developer for an investment institution in the equivalent to Manhattan.

see thats what Im talkin about!!!! I need about 4 years experience coding C++ with my degree and a clearance.. im good to go!!

I know I could be making much better money in this field except I TOTALLY don't fit into the "corporate" stereotype. My idea of a good job is one where I get in at 7-8 in the morning and leave at 4-5 in the evening and don't have to deal with work after I leave. I don't want to work more than 40 hours, I don't want to have to be an expert...I just want to be the guy who puts his head down and codes for 8 hours a day and nothing else.

He works for lexis nexis......After I get my degree I am hoping I can land a job there, there are literally about 10positions open a month there and the lowest salary i have saw posted was $70k/year.....thats for 2 years experience and an AA degree, or a BA degree with no experience......He even has room to advance at his job......That place is defiently one of the highest paying places I know of around here and he has nothign but good to say about it.

As for computer programing.....$50k a year is the poopoo......I was really interested in that field but most the jobs are temperary but can easily pay between $30-$60/hr......I have little experience in this field but I really liked what I did get into but there are not very many full time positions avliable in my area....seems like they are all 3 months to a year jobs......I want some job security...and benefits......I have a kid ya know!

Dont get me wrong I know that not many places pay over $100k for IT people with only an associates degree and little experience....I would be happy getting nito the IT department at my work starting at $45k. But they dont need anybody =(

He works for lexis nexis......After I get my degree I am hoping I can land a job there, there are literally about 10positions open a month there and the lowest salary i have saw posted was $70k/year.....thats for 2 years experience and an AA degree, or a BA degree with no experience......He even has room to advance at his job......That place is defiently one of the highest paying places I know of around here and he has nothign but good to say about it.

As for computer programing.....$50k a year is the poopoo......I was really interested in that field but most the jobs are temperary but can easily pay between $30-$60/hr......I have little experience in this field but I really liked what I did get into but there are not very many full time positions avliable in my area....seems like they are all 3 months to a year jobs......I want some job security...and benefits......I have a kid ya know!

Dont get me wrong I know that not many places pay over $100k for IT people with only an associates degree and little experience....I would be happy getting nito the IT department at my work starting at $45k. But they dont need anybody =(

I'm not disputing the above, but......

4 years ago Lexis Nexis bought out Financial Times Information Systems and made a bundle of layoffs in the UK since they could get the work done more cheaply in Ohio, I hired 2 mid level software developers and 1 technical architect out of FTIS and into investment banking. The developers were making in the region of $85K US and the TA about $120K US. (Skillsets were C++/Unix/Sybase and Java/J2EE/Struts).

But if you can land a job with them, they are a great company to work for, offer great training and indeed opportunities for career advancement. You'll pick up great skills that will make you more marketable, but I'd take the salary figures with a pinch of salt.

I know the salaries we pay here in Cincinnati, I also know that we've hired a number of people out of LN and they wouldn't be taking the figures that we're offering if they're really making that much on average.

:(

K, I guess am the poor guy around here. No wonder I still live with my parents *soon to be remedied*. Although I must move back into the ghetto of cleveland. Yes it exists... I have stories.

Personal responsibility rocks, too bad its so much work!

Aw, don't fret too much. I still live with my parents and have no job too.

I graduated with a BS in Computer Engineering and now work primarily in Software Quality Assurance.

Although my job is a lot of non-traditional SQA work. I manage software release testing, develop tests for new features, provide internal software support to our field engineers for our software, investigate and fix bugs and work on software enhancements.

Degree: Computer Science (BS)

Current Job: Custom Developer / Report Writer

Previous Job: Webmaster (PHP / ASP.Net)

Salary: Entry level pay, so I make roughly $3000 - $3400 a month with really good benefits... I am expecting this to go up quite a bit over the next few years, though. I'm getting a lot of training etc.

The company that I work with is established, but small / moderate size. Growth potential is slow but steady.

- Dun

I work in IT for Abbott, a pharmaceutical/medical products company. My role changes every 8 months, but right now it's split between middleware (how diffferent databases/applications interface with one another) and datacenter services. I've got a bachelor's degree from NIU, but everyone I work with has a master's degree from some fancypants school (DePaul, Notre Dame, etc). Not sure how I snuck in here, but they haven't noticed for a year and a half. :) The pay is a little low for the industry - 50k, but it's still a nice salary. Also, there's ridiculously good job security. In huge corporations, it's next to impossible to get fired since no one knows what anyone else does. It's amazing how many slackers are here.

I'm sure you'll manage to get fired just fine.

Dun