PC Recording...need info plz..LOTS

Laz.e.rus

I wante to give it a shot.

I DLd gt player express and bought a 1/4" to 1/8" convertor.

Just plugged into the mic input on my onboard sound and away I went.

The tones sounded good!

But, 30-200ms delay depending on what I was doing and the sample rate etc.

Palm muting was a joke. Static bursts now and then is all Id hear back.

Is this something to do with PC recording, or because of my crappy/weak on-board sound only?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Boss MT2 pedal that I used to use for distortion. If i went straight in it sounded ok. When i went through a behringer UB1202 Eurorack it sounded like bleeeeeeep. I'd doubt it's your card, cause I was using a creative soundblaster live! card for my recording, paired with some bleeeeeeeep software.

When i used cubase and cool edit pro (old audition) i found that audition was WAY more user friendly. That was my take on it. I didnt use cubase that much though, and didnt have a manual for either. I'm still a fan of audition, but anonymo would know more than me about the pros and cons of each.

LOL sure i'll be the guinea pig! It means I'll have a card first too :D

Edited by DarkArchon

Im hoping your wrong about the soundcard/onboard sound.

As I said, the actual effects sounded good.

But there was a HUGE delay from when I picvked the note, and I finally heard the sound. Also, there are scratches,pops etc. Like, if I play a lead fast thing, with chorus and echo etc, its smooth. But ANY palm muting = hst.hst,scratch, static, hst etc.

Heres a .rar'd wav file. Your not litening for play quality here :).. I didnt even tune the guitar. I jsut plugged in, this is the diff between playing some single fast high notes vs a couple low chugs with drop D.

http://69.221.180.211/gcftp/laz/gtplayertest.rar

you can tell at the end, the last few notes. If I hold the that crunch chord for just a sec, it developes a nice tone, but the intial attack is garbage.

Im thinking its my onboard sound. I know it sounds worse just for gaming than my old audigy, so it wouldnt surprise me if its THAT poopy.

Lol...yeah...uh...I'm surprised your mobo didn't just throw up when you tried to record using an on board sound card...it's definitely the onboard sound...you'll hear really painful pops, clicks, skreetches and sometimes the dreaded sound loop...onboard sound was intended to do one thing really and thats play the windows "ding" as loud as possible...outside of that and you're playing with fire (or something that sounds quite similar)

In terms of the difference between cubase and audition...how can i put this...cubase will allow you to do everything you could possibly want to do if you know how...audition will let you do most things you want to do if you don't know how... :shrug03: does that make sense? audition is user friendly...cubase requires lots of cursing...

At the end of the day, PC recording is kind of like driving a manual tranny...you can only go so fast in certain gears...yes you can start in 5th gear (ie by buying ProTools with all the hardware and a full mixing board) but it will take you forever to accelerate to the speed you want. It's best to start in 1st or 2nd gear and work your way up and unfortunately it all costs money...which leads me to my little bit of insight...how do musicians ever make it if it all costs so much money!? I'll leave you guys with that (and no saying "they get advances"!)

audition is user friendly...cubase requires lots of cursing...

my little bit of insight...how do musicians ever make it if it all costs so much money!? I'll leave you guys with that (and no saying "they get advances"!)

Ha! Exactly! cubase requires cursing! That's what I found.

And as for the second part, i'd guess that most just dont make it (ie. i'm poor and a musician :D)

Laz, it told me the file was corrupt...?

Edited by DarkArchon

Man, the more I learn the worse it gets.

I called Creative. My speakers will work with the xtreme cards. Thats cool.

Only difference in any of the Xfi cards:

Elite Pro: $399

-64 ms xram

- I/O box has this:

Two RCA jacks for coaxial SPDIF input and output

Shared Auxiliary input / Phono input via RCA stereo jacks

Two optical connectors for optical SPDIF input and output

Two standard MIDI female connectors for MIDI input and output

Headphone output and volume control via 6.35 mm (1/4-inch) stereo jack

Shared line-level analog Line/Microphone input via 6.35 mm (1/4-inch) stereo jack

Shared line-level analog Line/Hi-Z input via 6.35 mm (1/4-inch) stereo jack

DIN jack to connect Creative analog speaker systems with the wired remote control or Audio Control Pod that comes with the speakers.

One AD_LINK connector for linking to the audio card

Fatality $279

-64 mb xram

- diff (cheaper!) i/o box has this:

Dedicated Headphone Out with volume control (1/4" jack)

Microphone In/Line In (Shared 1/4" jack)

Aux In (Stereo RCA jacks)

Digital Inputs: Coax and Optical S/PDIF

Digital Outputs: Coax and Optical S/PDIF

MIDI: In and Out

Platinum $199

- same as fatality except no 64MB xram

Xtreme Music $129

- no Xram

- no breakout box at all

So the only diff in any pricing is the type of breakout box, and the 64Xram (which I 'hear' is useless as nothing is really programmed to use it)

Software:

Adobe Audition 2.0 - $349 . Review said it comes with no Virtual insruments. Does that mean no bass/drums for me except the pre-recorded loops it includes?! Yuck!

Cubase SE3: - $ 199 Looks good. As good as adobe but not for the nub. Includes instruments I believe

Ableton: Lite is free with purchase of some, otherwise $469 free upgrade to live 6

Protools: Mpowered 7.1 $299 But I dont understand all the compatiblitly stuff.

Creative seems easy enough, but no software ( creative propreitary junk). Compatible with anything??

Then theres fast track usb : still need audio card, but has livelite 5, GT player express.Compatible with M-ProTools

Delta 44. much better recording options, compatible with protools mpowered. Sound card is NOT for standard playback/gaming/etc.

Im so confused.

You have xfire or aim or something anon?

jsut spoke to M-audio sales rep.

Fast track is comaptible with all that recording software including mpowered protools.

I can find it on the net for as little as $90 without mic. The $180 version is a "pack" it can come in-mic and other stuff.

Rep said no matter what it should at least come with box, ableton and GT express. IF it doesnt, he gave me name and rep number and he'll ship em to me.

Something I learned: the quality of the soundcard makes NO difference as it doesnt even use it at all, even for playback. The Fast track also handles the outgoing monitoring, and you need to actually selece the Fast track as your sound device.

That has pros/cons. pro- dont need a cool soundcard. con- stuck in same boat with needing a powered speaker system it seems

That gives you the perfect excuse for buying that beauty sony 1000w 7.1 you were looking at ;)

Seriously, that sounds like a great deal. Perhaps I'll get that too... hmmm.... wonder if it's compatible with audition, seing as I already have it...

Edited by DarkArchon

I named off a bunch of things..cubase,protools,live etv etc I said...He said o yeah its compatible with all that, except protools need to be the M-audio version.

So, if it works with all those, I think its a safe bet it works with audition.

btw, if audition is the noobs recording software, why is it sooo expensive compared to everything else? It seems that it doesnt even have/support any virtual instruments. Is this right?

Worst case scenario I think is if I get that Fast track:

Id have to keep going into bios to enable/deable the onboard sound depending whether Im recording or regualr use/gaming.

Then when I get a soundcard..prolly same type of thing. unplug or disable the Fast track, then enable the soundacrd when Im switching. Quite the pain...but when youre talking 100s of dollars...

i've never seen this Audition program but i can attest to Cubase. Right now i'm using Cubase SX3 soon to switch to SX4 (when it's released later on this year).

Yes cubase can be complicated but it is professional recording software. If you want high quality recordings you'll want this program. Its so versatile that i wont even consider switching to any other software.

Hah i remember laying down some tracks for a cd i was making. I was providing music for some dancers and they found it too fast. I was like ughh now i have to re-record it all at a slower tempo. Then my friend was like no you dont. He showed me an option that will spread out your tracks to a slower tempo yet not sacrifice any of the quality sound. What would have taken me hours to re-record i simply edited in 20 mins.

I love cubase :D

Audition seems to have things kind of "done for you" ifyou know what I mean, taht cubase you'd have to do yourself. It's very straight forward, there's a tonne of options for fx and they're VERY configurable and customizable, save your own presets, etc etc. You have 144 blank tracks sitting there waiting to be filled (i think this is the max, though i've never broke 20).

I've also slowed a song. You can choose to slow it w/out losing pitch, or you can slow pitch too, or jsut drop pitch, whatever you want pretty much you can do with audition. I dont think there's much if anythign that you can do with v-instruments (though i prefer the sound of real ANYDAY) but then taht's expensive.

Yeah, i'd assume fasttrack would work with it, i think i'll get it.

Laz: you can choose input to record with in your software options so i doubt you'dneed to go disable onboard sound every time. Just select the device you want to record with in the software.

I'd assume also that the quality would not be bad at all with the 48. Sounds good enough to me, but anonymo might have a say in that...

You shouldn't have to go into your bios every time laz, just switch the default audio playback/recording device unter control panel

Audition, like just about every program besides ProTools, will work with whatever audio solution you provide it.

Got my card today, had 1/2 hour to install it. I put it in the pc, went into bios and disabled onboard sound, booted to windows, popped in the cd, FROZE.

Restarted, downclocked to 2.42 from 2.49, (220x11), booted up, got in and put on the drivers, works fine so far.

My optical cord is only 6' though :bang: which means i need another 6' of it to reach my receiver. I'll test it out for the headphones tonight though in unreal :D

So far no annoying hiss/clicks that come wiht onboard haha :peace:

Maybe do a little recordding tomorrow. But i'm still liking the sound of the fast track!

Currently installing software...

Edited by DarkArchon

hey laz whats up!!!!! I was skimming through this post, didn't read every word though, it was getting kind of long. But hey im a sound engineer i deal with this kind of stuff all the time, if u need any questions hit me up i'll be glad to answer them. -Fajackta

Hey fajackta...what kind of stuff do you do? I got a degree in sound design but haven't been able to find a job that actually uses what I know/learned...

got it

works.

GT player distortion: yup weak. Good tone, no attack

Was interesting to get it all back to onboard sound for tonight but got there.

Came with:

Gt player express

Abletone live 5

Sessions

Maudio Protools 7 (trial of course)

currently at 11 ms delay at max quality. Not too bad I guess.

Itll do for $90!