PC Recording...need info plz..LOTS

Laz.e.rus

got it

works.

GT player distortion: yup weak. Good tone, no attack

Was interesting to get it all back to onboard sound for tonight but got there.

Came with:

Gt player express

Abletone live 5

Sessions

Maudio Protools 7 (trial of course)

currently at 11 ms delay at max quality. Not too bad I guess.

Itll do for $90!

Awesome! I'll have to get me one of them now! :boing::boing::D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sur you should!

Yu already have a decent card for the input right?

And its asio compatible with low latency isnt it?

Just make sure your cubase is set up to recieve it in asio format and you shuld be good to go. If you use the fast track, you have to selct it INSTEAD of your card so...

Im not sur you should!

Yu already have a decent card for the input right?

And its asio compatible with low latency isnt it?

Just make sure your cubase is set up to recieve it in asio format and you shuld be good to go. If you use the fast track, you have to selct it INSTEAD of your card so...

True, but my card doesnt support xlr input. I'd have to get an adapter :erm: or something else to put it into my card. If i get something else (or use my behrninger eurorack) then i get (or can get) static from the extra wires. $100 is not a lot... but maybe you're right. Well, its somethign to consider anyway for the future. :D

Hrm good point on the xlr. Oh, the fast track soesnt supply phantom if you need it.

Btw, Im starting to get the hang of ableton...some of it anyways.

Cool stuff!

You were right though. Every distortion Ive tried blows. Some may have a really good tone, or a great chordal sound, but none have any attack at all. Sounds like you crunch out a few Pantera power chords, followed by some really good BeeGees palm muting :)

So, for any "heavy" tracks, I need to at least run thru my pre-amp for distortion. I can leave the rest of the effects off of course, then trim it up later.

So far, Ive figured out how to record myself ( lol), make a basic drumloop, and am working on making some bass guitar stuff that doesnt sound totally dumb.

The live lite isnt too bad. For now anyway.

I get 4 midi pre-done)tracks and 4 live tracks to work with. It also limits the number of effects you can add to any certain track/sound.

You can switch over to "demo" use. You get a ton more things available, BUT, you cant save a single one of them :)

Same with the protools I got. Its "demo" only. You cant save or export a single thing. How dumb is that!

Dang! They just want you to buy of course, haha smart marketing.

DOESNT PROVIDE PHANTOM POWER!?!?!? :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?!?

Wow. That blows me out of the water. K, there's no way i'm buying that. My condenser needs phantom. BTW, thanks for letting me know that. I was gonna check before I bought, but now I dont have to. Wow. that's like selling a built computer without a heatsink. Stupid. :bang::bang:

On a lighter note, I'm glad you're enjoying recording. Some saturdays when I record I'll start at 10 am and then realize i'm getting hungry at about 7 or 8 pm :D

Edited by DarkArchon

ok... after much googling, I found a vst plugin distportion that DOESNT suck!!!!

Its free, and actually sounds prtty darn good!

I got a izotope 10 day trial, its not bad but too cunfusing and the sound was ok..

Check this one out tho! Google this:

FreeAmpSE vst plugin

5 or 6 stomp distortions, amp selection, mic placement ( virtually on the amp's speakers), eq, etc. Easy to use and good sounds.

ok..has like 6 distortions ( some suck of course), pre and post compression, wah and auto wah, overdrive, chorus, flanger, ech and reverb in stomp box form.

Then it comes with a spk cabinent emulator. ( couple 4x12, couple 2x12, couple 4x10, and some other one.)

3 pre- EQs, 4 post EQs, amp selction ( natural, smooth, crunch, driven, harmonizer 1 and 2, and cracked tube)

noisegate, sync, tremolo,

THEN, after your stomp box and amp modeling etc, it has the AMP' S drive and contouring.

Amp and Dist box both have "chub" and the amp also has 3 settings with a dial for variac.

Oh, and Im an idiot.

I recorded this little riff thing that I replayed with different settings so you could hear it.

But then I played it back, and there wasnt really any changes in the sound with all the changes I made while recording...Thats when I realize..oh no. The Fx box was still up as a plug in and it hit me...

Oh yeah, this isnt like the old days where all the effects go BEFORE the recording...so I hit a button on the fx unit, yup, diff sound. Duh.

If I save the original recording, its prolly totally nude twanging rofl.

Other than a decent distortion for a change, the thing I REALLY like about this plug in is all the effects in one. Cuz the trial version of ableton I have only lets you use a single plugin on your recording. But all these in one, act like one.

Well then....on to the whole "mixing and mastering" portion of the manual....

oyu guys have any pre-recorded drum loops, or know where to get some cheap/free? Ableton's blow.

Of course it gives me the ability to create any sound a man can hear from scratch...yay. I jsut want some drum loops I can tinker with.

Are you looking for samples?

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been playin. I havent gotten serious yet. Figuring out how things work the hard way, etc.

Id load a drum loop, discover it sucks, spend an hour making my own, decide that sucks too, etc. But at least I learned HOW to make the drum loop. Thats where Im at now.

Started playing with sessions. Its kinda cool. Its simple, basic, limited. But fun for some stuff. I can throw up an acceptable drum track, add a few pre-recorded funk bass sections to it, and jam away. Of course theres only so many variations and I dont know how changeable it is yet, but its simple and fun.

Im sure I'll have "something" before too long.

ya, this usb thing sounds a LOT better than trying the onboard way. Much lower latency too.

I put that plugin on my machine. Whenever i try to use it it freezes adobe on me :( DANG it!!!

When I program drums for an actual song (that i dnt just jam to) i program every single beat. takes hours, but sounds so much better when i'm done :D

looking forward to a sample! guitarist to another guitarist ;)