gamers-only fiber network?

stutters

So here we are in the middle of Q3 2006, and the announcements haven’t stopped. However, today I bring you something that is beyond what anyone else has ever attempted -- something that is proven solid, and on a massive scale in comparison to all other product announcements this year. Imagine a world where you could live in New York, connect to a server in California, and have a ping as low as 30-35ms. Imagine a private network, implemented nationwide, for gaming traffic only, where the normal congestion of the internet does not even come into play. Imagine no longer, because it has arrived.
http://hardware.gotfrag.com/portal/story/34782/

basically all your gaming traffic (and voice according to the website) would ride on this highly QoS'd private network, going around the public internet. they're not an internet service provider, but a special routing provider. so on top of your monthly dsl/cable, an additional $10/mo !?!?! gives you access to this. it's in beta now (signup @ http://www.gamerail.com). sounds cool, and i'd pay an additional $10/mo for it, but i'm not sure it will work or last. for one, that's a buttload of dark fibre to be paying for (and they'd have to saturate the network to pay for it). two, someone will figure out how to setup a peer to peer app and rob the bandwidth.

GC Alumni
that would be awesome if it did work but i wouldnt want to pay 10 bucks a month for it then find out it actually doesnt work
if you've never paid $10 for something you found out later you didn't want, well, congratulations.

besides, if i were you, i'd be working on some sort of internet2->public network bridge. MTU has more bandwidth than god himself.

that would be awesome if it did work but i wouldnt want to pay 10 bucks a month for it then find out it actually doesnt work

if you've never paid $10 for something you found out later you didn't want, well, congratulations.

besides, if i were you, i'd be working on some sort of internet2->public network bridge. MTU has more bandwidth than god himself.

i was talking about back home but yeah MTU does have alot I just dont know how to get more

i was talking about back home but yeah MTU does have alot I just dont know how to get more

hah!

And I remember playing with the Sperry Univac and punch cards up there!

Anyone remember BitNet?

:D

hah!

And I remember playing with the Sperry Univac and punch cards up there!

Anyone remember BitNet?

:D

You went to Michigan Tech??

It will never happen. Unless you prove that its research. Or pay a TON of money.

They only have beta tester slots open. This isn't into full production yet.

If I get chosen for beta, they will let me know.

Here is a copy of the email they sent me. The names were changed to protect the innocent.

Dear Shazzzzzmania,

Thank you for registering for the GameRail Beta! Your information has been saved to our database and a copy is printed below for you to keep as a record.

Name: Shazzzismyhero

City: New Port Richey

State: Florida

Zip: 34654

ISP: Bright House

We will soon be selecting a number of people for various exciting Beta Testing opportunities, so keep watching www.gamerail.com for breaking news!

-GameRail

GC Alumni

good news for CAL/CPL players:

CPL Selects GameRail as Official High Speed Network

The Cyberathlete Professional League (CPL) and the Cyberathlete Amateur League (CAL) announced today that the GameRail Network was selected as the Official High Speed Network for both leagues. GameRail will provide network access and infrastructure for the CAL servers to be used for the CPL 2006 season.

With the selection of the GameRail Network, CPL and CAL will operate game servers on the high performance GameRail Network and CAL members will have free access to the CAL servers through GameRail’s low-latency, gaming-optimized network.

“We are very excited about the opportunity to work with CPL and CAL� says Blake Ashby president of GameRail. “For all practical purposes, CPL and CAL invented online and LAN professional tournament play. To be selected as their partner is a strong validation of the strength of our network model and its ability to redefine expectations of game quality.�

“As a direct result of this exclusive partnership we will soon launch several CAL tournament servers in five cities across the United States, all of them on the GameRail Network,� said Angel Munoz, president of the CPL. “This new gaming network will reduce latency and should raise the bar for online tournaments worldwide.�

The GameRail Network is an evolution in the network model specifically designed to minimize latency and improve a computer gamer’s online experience. GameRail will cut the number of network hops dramatically and will consequently reduce inherent latency. And because the data stays on the network end-to-end, GameRail is able to optimize traffic flow even further reducing network delays. GameRail will offer significantly improved connectivity to computer gamers and redefine the expectations of what constitutes a quality online gaming experience.

wonder if that means they're also ramping up for a prizefight-style competition...

Yep. Didn't graduate from there, but I did have an interesting two years.

Matter of fact, I left right after the Burger King and McDonald's came to town. Come to

think of it, it was right before the old gym got rennovated (man, am I dating myself!).

One of these years I'll get back to Winter Carnival. And to think - it's still 10 hours from

home!

Mush you Huskies. Michigan Tech, where da men are men and da women are too!

• 2 weeks later...

Since I signed up for the Beta....I just received this update.

GameRail beta test will start ramping up next week for the cities of St. Louis, Chicago and Dallas. We will be selecting testers by region and ISP. Other cities will be added over the next 30 days, so check our website and your email for updates. Emails will be sent out shortly with instructions on how to join our network for the beta test. Please be patient if you have not been selected; we will be putting people on our network as fast as we can.

GameRail has added Seattle as its eighth city to be included in the launch of the GameRail Network. Seattle will join St. Louis, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York and Dallas as a roll out city.

The FAQ section of the website has been updated to answer some of the questions we have been asked since launch. Check it out at http://www.gamerail.com/index.php?family=M...,SimplePage,faq

Sincerely;

The GameRail Team

www.gamerail.com

Yep. Didn't graduate from there, but I did have an interesting two years.

Matter of fact, I left right after the Burger King and McDonald's came to town. Come to

think of it, it was right before the old gym got rennovated (man, am I dating myself!).

One of these years I'll get back to Winter Carnival. And to think - it's still 10 hours from

home!

Mush you Huskies. Michigan Tech, where da men are men and da women are too!

that be somewhat true but...we know how to have a good time so....

• 1 year later...

GameRail announces The GameRail Conductor: Beta available NOW!

GameRail has created a newer, more powerful application that fuels your connection directly to your game server. Superior routing technology redirects your game traffic onto GameRail's private network, bypassing the Internet whenever GameRail offers a better path. The new easy-to-use Conductor gets you to your game server with the fastest and smoothest connection possible.

Conductor Features:

* Works completely in the background (no master server browser required). Just start it and forget about it.

* Compatible with any game browser, including Xfire and Steam.

* Connected to nearly 20,000 game servers in the US and Canada.

* Superior routing technology to the previous GameRail Client so GameRail will help more people get to more servers.

* 32-bit and 64-bit support on Windows XP and Vista.

There's no cost to try! You can use your current GameRail username and password to login even if your account is not currently active. (If you've forgotten your login, click on the Forgot Username/Password option from the login screen).

Download the Conductor beta here and see how GameRail's Conductor can improve your gaming connection! Remember, there's no cost to try and no obligation!

To view the Conductor Installation Guide, click here. To view the Conductor User Guide, click here.

edit: the linky is here http://www.gamerail.com/download.php

Dudes, I went to MTU as well :)

Also, didnt graduate from there, but did a LOT of skiing and a LOT of drinking ;)

It actually worked out well, as I met my future employer at the school around Chicago that I transfered too. :)

And this will be my first Carnival since I left (in 04) that I wont be at, getting LASIK in a week instead.

I had Lasik done 3 years ago. I went from 20/600 to 20/15 and I am still at 20/15. Very Important!! Make sure and get a good Doctor. The Doc plus a good machine will make all the difference. A lasik machine that runs two lasers on one machine is the best you can get. If a doc has two different machines with two different lasers...I would check around for a different place. I have heard and seen to many horror stories about that type of practice. I even have a family member who's eyes got worse after the doc "Picked" a laser for him.

Look at Lasik this way. You have two main lasers that fix the eye. If you want to paint a room you use the Big brush to paint the bulk of the room and then you use the little brush to get the edges. The same concept in Lasik. They use a "fat" laser to get the big points or a "small" laser to get the small points. Some doctors only use one laser on patients. While better doctors who have better machines have Lasik machines that have both lasers in one. Making the results cleaner by using both lasers than just one.

Make sure and do your homework...this is your eyes.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. GameRail is in motion if anyone wants to check it out.

• 2 months later...

They emailed me this note:

It is with deep regret to announce that the GameRail network has been discontinued at this time. Thank you to the gamers who have participated in the GameRail trial and support of its development as we worked to solve the issues of latency and network quality and their impact on gaming. We believe that latency and network quality will continue to affect the gaming experience and while we are still believers in the GameRail concept, the market does not appear to be ready to support a standalone network for gaming at this time.

GameRail Team

Dudes, I went to MTU as well :)

Also, didnt graduate from there, but did a LOT of skiing and a LOT of drinking ;)

It actually worked out well, as I met my future employer at the school around Chicago that I transfered too. :)

And this will be my first Carnival since I left (in 04) that I wont be at, getting LASIK in a week instead.

How long were you at MTU?