old or new?

TheGeek

I am planning to get my new computer before summer starts. And I was thinking I was going to buy it in sections. That way I cant talk myself out of it like I did last summer.

So, What parts do you think I can buy used?

I am thinking the motherboard, maybe a hard drive. I'm definitely buying the CPU last.

It looks like its hard to find a motherboard that has IDE anymore. But I noticed, what is PATA? I saw SATA under the specs but i have never seen PATA? What is it?

good thing I just purchased AM2 yesterday rather than 939 like I was thinking of.

:)

as for what you should buy...never ever ever buy used computer parts...it's just not worth it. Just cause you're buying new though doesn't mean you have to buy top of the line...just buy with the ability to upgrade and you'll be fine.

things like ram and cpus are fine used as they have no moving parts. i wouldn't buy a mobo or hard drive used unless it has warranty left and/or you know who you're getting it from. basically anything with a fan or motor, if not under warranty, don't buy.

the problem with buying in sections is that by the time you buy your final part your earlier ones will be obsolete.

if buying a new computer is something you can talk yourself out of then i'd suggest it's not important enough of a purchase and you can live with what you have til you no longer talk yourself out of it.

I think I will buy 939. Just because it will become dirt cheap and I'm not panning to use the DDR2.

Cujo, you make a good point. But my computer can only run things on medium to low graphics. I want a upgrade. But knowing me, I will probably duck out.

you can get am2 for dirt cheap as well if not cheaper then 939.

why are you not planning to use ddr2?

Well I didn't know it was the same price or lower. I was not looking to buy a totally upgraded machine. Just a midgrade that will get me though for another 4 years.

mid-range will not get you through 4 years of new games coming out. midrange 6600gt has been out for a little over 2 years and it's next to obsolete at this point. even high end has a hard time last 4 years.

to stay current you have to look to upgrading some components each year. that's just the way computers and computer gaming are.

My pc lasted me 4 years, and it wasnt top of the line when it came out. Albeit it started to have troubles in the last year with the games, but if you're not hardcore (ie you are like me and dont play every new game that comes out) I think you'll be fine.

4 years ago at this time the 9700pro was king. anyone tried oblivion or fear with a 9700pro? what res are you running?

btw, the 9700pro was high end at the time. perhaps i should be asking people how their gf4 ti4200s and 8500les are running todays games? i know you can play cs:s with those cards but you're lucky to pull off 1024 with low iq.

if you're content to play games at 800x600 or 1024x768 with low to medium settings then yes i guess a mid-high end system can last 4 years. 4 years from now i will have 100+ cpus in my system and won't need a gfx card.

the way i see it is ppl have two choices. they can either fork over $2000+ every 3 or 4 years and watch their comp slowly go from king of the jungle to ant under one's shoe OR you can spend ~$500ish once a year to stay current and continue enjoying current games at decent quality.

if you buy smart and find value in overclocking then you will never be left behind.

thankfully not being a student anymore and having a real job i've been able to afford more high end parts and i've gotten away from buying the value stuff but i still don't buy ultra high end cpus or memory.

the other thing that helps is having people around you that buy your old parts. i've been lucky in that regard to. even today i will rarely buy a new part unless i can sell the old one.