Minnesotian travel topic

JackieChan

Yes I plan on driving. I plan on leaving Thursday evening for a overnight hall, assuming work decides to not need me on Friday (I would know within a month on that). I am going to rent a PC so I will not be bring equipment. It is a 96 accord, but the trunk is plenty big and I think 3 would be comfortable enough. 4 would be pushing it I think.

Oh, and I smoke... so if me puffing with the window down is a deal breaker, let it be known.

I figure it is going to be about 13-14 hours.

All that being said, I will be driving and anyone (up to 2 ;p) are welcome to join in.

yeah, i can't find a ride, so I am prolly not going. free seat next to anonymo!

Well in theory I do not think 4 in my car would work... I am driving so I wouldn't care if you were all super crowded. And I am pretty sure only 50% of Hackie is coming, so there may be room. If it was important it may be possible to hook up a larger vehicle if a ride was much needed. Don't give up yet Disco. There may be options.

GC Alumni
(edited)

Discom, I'm not taking "No" for an answer. You're going if I'm going to find out where you are and drag you there myself. The ride there won't be nearly as fun without you there <_>

We have about 70 days to get it all settled and such. That's not pleanty of time, but enough to get everything straightened out.

Edited by JackieChan

SJ, I thought you lived in California.
i did. i now live near saint paul.

i still have no idea about making it. i've got to decide if i'm taking summer classes, then see if i can either cut or schedule it so i don't have class on that day. and the smoking thing doesn't bother me, but what kind of music do you guys listen to?

Little of everything SJ, would be down for pretty much whatever... just no pop music or new country. If I had to pick I would say I mostly listen to Rock/metal

Things are firming up for me now. Got Thursday and Friday off, so I plan on leaving somewhere in the area of late afternoon or early evening Thursday. I think. Try and time it so we get there about hotel checkin time on Friday. Maybe that means leaving later on Thursday, dunno.

• 5 weeks later...
GC Alumni

I'm pretty sure we can fit Discom in there if I sit in the back seat. I'm not fat or anything (I'm only 5'6, 130). I just need a window seat and I'll be fine.

That... ugh... didn't sound out quite what I wanted it to...

Farmer, how much room do you think you can put in the car? Like the computer stuff, etc.

I am going to be renting a pc for ff. The trunk is pretty big, I would think we could get 2 PC's and luggage in there no problem. Maybe more. Depends on how many are riding. I would hesitate to try and fit 4 people and 3 pc and 4 people worth of luggage in. It could be done but would be crowded. Probably. I have the room that I have. I am going and as much stuff and people that can be fit in there with me is fine ;p.

• 2 weeks later...

SJ and Jackie give me a pm or post on this. Trying to get an idea of when we want to leave.

Facts

-I think it will take about 13-14 hrs total

-I do not want to be anywhere near Chicago at rush hours (appx 6.5 hrs from minneapolis)

-As of right now I do not plan to have a room reserved for Thursday night and Friday checkin isn't till mid afternoon

-I have Thursday and Friday off and really could leave at any point Thursday

We could leave early morning on Friday, say 4A. Thru Chicago at about 10-11A. Get to Hudson about 6P Friday.

-Could get some sleep before we go. We get there late and may miss some of the activity. Can check right in when we get there.

We could leave late evening of Thursday, say 10P. Thru Chicago at about 4-6 am. Get to Hudson Noonish Friday.

-Driving all night can suck, being tired from the get go can suck, getting there early afternoon makes for less time wasted and easier transition to checked in.

We could leave late afternoon of Thursday, say 4P. Thru chicago at about 10-11. Get to Hudson about 6A.

-Less driving at night, some down time to grab some non moving sleep when we get there perhaps if there is a place to hunker down till mid afternoon.

We could leave morning of Thursday, say 9A. Thru Chicago about 3-4P. Get to hudson about 11P.

-Daytime driving, would need to get another night for sure at the hotel, not sure you guys have both days off.

Let me know what you folks think, if I need to reserve an extra night I want to do it sooner rather than later. My main concern is driving all the way and being too tired to enjoy myself. I am personally pushing towards option 4 if it works. Driving there is a pain, but less so if we can recover before the events.

One note on the check-in stuff. The ballroom will be set up Thursday night, and by sometime Friday morning should be open to set up rigs, hang out, etc. If you were to arrive Friday AM, you could always leave your luggage stuff in the car, check in at FF, and check in at the hotel a bit later. I've also been able to check in at hotels early sometimes, it generally all depends on whether or not the room(s) you have reserved are ready or not. hope this helps.

I'm not a Minnesotian, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, ;)

GC Alumni

For me, I requested from Wednesday the week of the event to Wednesday after the event. I personally would like to get there as early as possible. I'm choosing either option 3 or 4. I wouldn't mind doing #4, but that does make for the extra day stay there (which means more money).

I'm not getting close to option 1 because my parents would be asleep by then and would either get mad or freaked out if there was alot of moving stuff and such so early in the morning.

lol, no discom traveling with us? If we could get discom with us, I wouldn't mind riding in the back seat even if it'd be a bit crowded. I don't want to sit by myself at FF :(

Jackie, if it comes to pushing towards option 4 I would be willing to make up the difference on hotel for the extra night (yeah I'm cool that way ;p). As far as a fourth, I am cool if you all are... not even sure SJ is coming with us. Let me know what the thoughts are as I plan on getting the hotel room next week. I also would prefer to get there sooner rather than later.

Thx for the ballroom info wolf

• 2 weeks later...
GC Alumni
On a quick options note...

I have access to an 04 Explorer if we want. Just for the record my car is a 96 accord.

Pros

-More room

-AC

-Lot newer

Cons

-more gas

-no Ipod connection, but has a CD deck

Discuss. I am down for either.

Eww on the more gas and no aux cable. I'm good either way either though.