New Monitor

dragonfly

(edited)

Monitor came in, I drove with a friend to the states, paid 100 duty on it, and got it back.

After seriously messing up the resolution so that I couldnt display windows, trying to rollback vid drivers by mapping out what I'd have to press on the keyboard using my friends pc (ingenius idea) I finally got into system restore and backed it up a day.

Now, it's BEAUTIFUL. 24" of widescreen beauty!!!! Loving the PIP, though s-vid's not cutting it for me. Gonna go and get a gooder cable :)

Probably spent too much money, but then again what good is money sitting there doing nothing, right? :D

Edit: here is the key map i figured out :) :

-Windows key

-up 8 times, then enter

-13 tabs, enter

-13 tabs, enter

-two rights, a tab, enter

-tab, down down down, right, down, enter

-4 tabs, right, 3 tabs, enter

Edited by DarkArchon

LOL that's the funniest thing i've seen all day.

it really is worth the extra money for the 24inch. i agree, svid doesn't cut it with express vu satellite. i'm really wanting to get the high def box but even then i'd be stuck using component of vga cause my dvi is goin to my pc.

i use pip ALL THE TIME. don't know how i lived without it.

:D troubleshooting at its finest!

Can you use regular a/v cables for component? or do you need the fancy expesive ones?

I think RCA will do it, but you've probably got enough kicking around to just test that out I assume.

:D troubleshooting at its finest!

Can you use regular a/v cables for component? or do you need the fancy expesive ones?

I think RCA will do it, but you've probably got enough kicking around to just test that out I assume.

Yeah I do.

1) I gotta find them and

2) I am curious to know if there's different cables what the quality difference would be.

Point taken though, I'll test it out later :smillie_smilling:

?

It was the monitor that couldn't support it. The signal coming from the vcard could not be displayed on the monitor. That's what my problem was.

If you're referring to an input on my computer (though i doubt it) i'm just going from a dvd player to the monitor, not my pc.

You cannot use straight RCA cables for component, AFIK.

If you want to watch TV on your monitor, you should get a cheap tuner card and then hook that 24" into your DVI from your vid card...

however, I suppose if you want PIP, you have to go with S-vid or buy a cable tuner card that has a vga out for the 2nd input on the dell.

Also, what is going on with your windows short cuts and rollbacks and crazy keystrokes...man? YOu got your new vid card drivers installed or what?

how could the dell not display your vidcard output?...

I had a similar problem with my new LCD. When using the DVI port, the image was scrambled, and I couldn't see the UI in windows, even when I restarted. So then I hooked my CRT up and discovered that the refresh rate was set to 75 hertz, which made my monitor freak out. After I set it to 60, everything was fine.

component cables will work fine as rca cables and it should be vice versa as well. at work we use component cables for both rca and component to connect dvd players to lcd tvs.

i'd get some decent component cables from futureshop or something. doesn't have to be $100 monster cables but i'd get better then the cheap 10 buck ones.

how are you doing audio? i have just rca to my receiver. though when i get a digital box i'll be using another optical cable i imagine.

(edited)

Tek, I'm not totally sure, but it had to do with HD 1080i or p or something like that. I selected it, then the monitor went black and said out of range. It was an adventure though!

The monitor has s-vid input, and from what I've seen anything under $100 going into my pc will come out crappy, and I dont need to record the video, so meh. Right now my dvd player is hooked up with svid to my monitor. I'll probably go through that (dvd player) and into the monitor for the TV.

Cujo: as for audio I'm using optical from my X-Fi Platinum into my Sony 755watt 6.1 surround sound. For the dvd player I'm using digital (spdif? ) to run sound to the reciever too. I programmed the reciever remote to work with the dvd player, so i just use that to switch back and forth. If i NEED both on at once (cant think of a time) i can use headphones on the pc, or plug in my harmon/kardon 2.1 setup (analog).

I have a cheap optical cable ($25 or so) and when music is off and reciever is maxed, i hear no static at all. I love the audio setup I have :D and cant imagine much better than the no-static i already experience. That's why I didnt bother spending $120 on an 8ft cable. I think I'll go pick up a decent component cable though.

Edit: oh yeah, Tek, the monitor has DVI, VGA, video (monitor a/v hookup), s-video and component inputs. I dont NEED the PIP, but it's nice to have and with the svid and composite i'll get decent qualities too.

Edited by DarkArchon