XP Cleaning Tips

anonymo

that partitioning stuff is nonsense. at least as far as making a folder being the same thing as making a d drive. what if you do have to reformat due to a failed driver install? or a system heavily corrupted with viruses? that's ridiculous.

all the other stuff is stuff i already know and do. good link though.

Edited by Cujo

First of all, the author is wrong on several accounts. Defragmenting not only improves performance by making sure the files are not scattered across the platter, but reduces wear and tear on the hard drive itself. Imagine never defragging your drive, and how the hard drive must seek back and forth on the platter, creating unnecessary wear just to read one file.

Partitioning is very useful and sometimes necessary (like in linux) for any computer. It is also much safer to store data on a partition separate from your system files (although for essential data, a completely separate hard drive would be best). Go ahead, try to install two different Windows operating systems on one partition.

Edit: ok, he said defragging was important, but he didnt list the most important reasons.

Edited by Metallurgic

Metal, you gotta realize that this list is specifically meant for people who build and sell pc's to give them to the customer in the most efficient working format. After the customer has it the list doesn't really apply.

Interesting.

Of course, partitions are useful for other things than speed. I've had bitter experience from reinstalling XP without reformatting first, so I'm not trusting his statement at all on that bit of advice. I like that I can reformat/reinstall Windows without having to back up gigabytes of data first, not to mention having all the drivers and programs I want to install there and ready to go right after the reinstall. Also the defrag and chkdsk times are much reduced with smaller partitions, for those of us who defrag occasionally.

Prime95 is a better stress test for memory than Memtest86; it finds problems with memory that memtest never does.

I think in Vista, indexing is going to be mandatory, and will replace the current folder/path system entirely, if MS has it's way...

most professionals use memtest unless they can afford that pci card that does a better job. i've always used memtest and my dfi board has it built into the bios.

prime95 is a good test for memory but it runs from windows and COULD crash from unrelated things. memtest is dos and will only error if memory is the problem.

you can disable indexing in vista as well thank god.

• 4 weeks later...

I run 3 partitions: windows / games / backup. Like the rest of you said: what if windows kicks the bucket? This way I can format C: and not loose my game saves on D:\ or MP3s, Pics and other files on the last partition. Yes I backup regularly on a separate 80gig, so much easier then DVD-RW.

How much of a performance cost are we talking on todays newer systems running multiple vs. single partitions?

BTW I have always used Memtest86 but now It's built into my motherboards BIOS which is soooo cool, no more disk! :D