Issues with 64bit processing and gaming.

Playaa

So this computer is my first foray into 64bit Processing and I'm noticing some strange problems with slightly older games.

So far it's happened in Neverwinter Nights 1, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. The problem is basically that the game runs too fast. You know how you used to run a DOS only game in Windows 98 and the game ran at like 5 times the speed of what it was supposed to? That's pretty much exactly what's happening for me. With San Andreas it's usually ok for about 10 minutes, then the game starts to speed up to the point where I can't control cars anymore because they move way too fast. With NWN and Vice City it's just always that fast. In NWN I can click on a part of the screen to walk there and my character instantly appears where I clicked and everything else on the screen moves incredibly fast to catch up.

I wasn't even aware this would be an issue with 64bit processing so I'm completely unsure how to solve it. The other small problem is that my machine isn't even hooked up to the internet (only dialup at my home) so I have to download things from work to use them at home so fixing it is harder than just trial and error...I can't just google the problem and download solutions straight to my computer at home...I have to wait until I get to work...so ANY help you guys could give me (advice on where to look, quick applications to fix this problem, etc.) would be awesome.

Wow, that's great. I guess the makers of Dosbox will have to get on top of 32bitbox.

Which version of the OS are you running? x64 or the 32-bit version? If you're running x64, is dual-booting to Win32 an option? Or is this the same computer you also want to dual-boot to Ubuntu? Not that three boots can't be done, it's just difficult.

Though there are really neat devices to make it easy, provided you have multiple HDs...

I have 64 bit issues with farcry running too fast. Here are some ways to resolve it. San Andreas and Vice city have patches for these problems.

1. If you have any Cool n quiet software disable it.

2. Ive heard that windows media player can cause this. mute it.

3. disable any Power Management options youve recently enabled.

4. check and see if there are any patches available for it.

5. Could also be an issue with the video card driver. Install new drivers if you havent and check their site for anyone having posted similer probs.

6. Adjust the antialiasing up or down and see what happens.

Hope it helps. :D

I'm already running XP Pro 32bit on the machine.

I think I actually DO have some Cool N' Quiet software running, I'll check into that.

However, I did some checking around on the internet and came across this little snippet about 64bit Dual Core processors and gaming:

i had a lot to learn about using the dual-core for games though. certain games run too fast/glitchy, i found that you need to set 'affinity' for that process as to restrict it to one core. (you can pick any process and tell it which core/s to use)

so I'll also give that one a try when I get home tonight.

Cujo...going out on a limb here when I say this but...you rock the mic like a vandal.

I do have AMD and I'm going to try some of those fixes (probably try the Affinity thing first since it's on the list).

i believe the affinity option would need to be changed everytime you start up the game, i think the amd dual core optimizer is what you need