laptop buying

NOFX

I dont know to much about laptops, sbut old 866Mhz is about to fall apart. Im looking for bare basic, with something that could possibly run wow. I want cheap as possible. Anyone have any suggestions

I am a big fan of the Inspiron line. Several times I have run up a nice system for $1500, and decked it out pretty well for $1800. Nothing beastly, but more than enough to run WoW (depending on how picky you are about settings). You get to pay for Windows, but if you're running WoW anyway, that shouldn't be an issue. I've heard good things about Cyber Power PC (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/) but I don't recall being able to get a better deal there than at Dell, just more choices.

I would check out ASUS...they make some highly-rated laptops, run 'bout the same cost as the Inspirons, and best of all, you don't have to spend a few days cleaning off all of the Dell software. :-)

Dell is getting worse and worse with adding in all that extra software. Anyway, ASUS is worth looking at, and they're near indestructible.

Oh, and avoid those $400 and $500 laptops....that's like throwing away $400 or $500. You'll be hating it in less than a year...it's not worth the headache. I spent most of my college time fixing friends' computers of that ilk.

You'll find that it's hard to get a quality laptop for under a grand...it's sad, but true. However, financing on a $1500 laptop isn't so bad

get a macbook, osx + windows :)

:boo:

Not a fan..

Also, if you're looking for the most bang for your buck, last time I checked MAC was not the way to go. If you like OSX and MACs, they've come a long way, and I wouldn't argue too strongly against buying one. However, you have to take into consideration what you want to do with the laptop.

What do you want to do with the laptop? That's an important consideration when considering Mac vs. PC, ASUS vs Dell, etc.

Maverick' date='Dec 27 2006, 12:49 PM' post='383441']

I would check out ASUS...they make some highly-rated laptops, run 'bout the same cost as the Inspirons, and best of all, you don't have to spend a few days cleaning off all of the Dell software. :-)

Dell is getting worse and worse with adding in all that extra software. Anyway, ASUS is worth looking at, and they're near indestructible.

FWIW I just pay the $10 to get the Windows XP load CD, reformat, update and image. Takes a few hours, max, and I have an image of exactly what I want should I need to format/reinstall. I update and image everything these days anyway, so much easier to roll back and I can use VMWare to isolate anything I don't want on my main machine (test bed for fancy mouse drivers that I end up not wanting, a driver for some device that I use once a year and doesn't really need access to any of my files anyway, etc.)

Though I do agree, their extra software is beyond intrusive at this point: It is simply obscene. However, I haven't found a hardware vendor that DOESN'T put software on "for you," and since I do the reformat/reinstall/image anyway, it doesn't take me any more time. Do ASUS laptops come clean? That would be really nice...

well, my eye caught this machine over at sams the other day

its averatec its

1.6Ghz AMD X2

1 gig DDR2

Geforce 6100

and super small, only 12.1 in widescreen. Which is really what Im looking for.

If I want to carry a 10 lb machine with a 19" display, Ill grab a generator and tie my desktop to my back. But anyway, this machine is only $750. But then I started looking at the 50" Sony wega HDTV's.... oh the agony