Optical or ball

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logitech MX500 (OPTICAL) > * -- You just have to tweak the drivers for it to get it to work just right.

Tweak guide here:

http://www.clanwat.com/modules.php?op=modl...order=0&thold=0

Also because of the specific way that hte MX500 works, alot of mouse pads won't work well with them, especially hard surface pads. The Func (which is too small imo) works so-so, the Ratzpad is great, and the Steelpad is sporadic. Get yourself a large cloth pad and you'll be much better off with this mouse.

The Intelli-mice opticals are great mice as well, but the MX series by Logitech are just plain better. The resolution is higher and it doesn't skip on the right mousepad--ever.

If you got smaller hands, I recommend the MX300.

Sidenote: The best ball mouse ever invented was the Razer Boomslang 1k and 2k. Those mice were absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, they were expensive as heck, and they had some huge quality control problems in their later generation mice.

Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guests

Question from the cs n00b here. I have an intellimouse optical and recently just bought an intellimouse explorer optical. I haven't opened it yet but I was talking with moss and he says I won't notice a difference between the 2 mice. Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I also recently just bought the func 1030 and am waiting to get it in the mail. I hear good things about it.

What killer said. My biggest grief with the Func tho is it's size. I use a low sensi so I tend to move around alot on the mousepad, the Func is just too small for it.

That link is dead. I don't know what happened to it, but it was a great guide... and I didn't save it SASDKJ:ASKJDA:LKSJD.

I'll look around some more for a replacement, but I haven't seen anything else that really does it for me. The major problem with the MX500 is the mouse accel doesn't turn off in WinXP even when you select "off" in the driver settings. There's a reg hack to disable it, but I cannot find it for the life of me now.

I'll keep looking--sry.

Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guests

func is big enough for me and i use 1.3 sensitivity

steelpad is like team3d stuff, right Wilco?

..also $90 for the total aint bad, I just might do it (probobly mouse first, then pad in a couple weeks). I hope it doesn't cost more at Comp USA, I don't have a CC handy atm.

Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guests

You can't buy func's at compusa too my knowledge. Only online you can. Actlabs has em which I believe wilco posted. Thats where I just ordered mine. And also nobody answered my question? Please somebody respond.

Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guests
I have an intellimouse optical and recently just bought an intellimouse explorer optical.  I haven't opened it yet but I was talking with moss and he says I won't notice a difference between the 2 mice.  Does anyone else have an opinion on this?  I also recently just bought the func 1030 and am waiting to get it in the mail.  I hear good things about it.

you bought a mouse made my microsoft? yeah.. you are a n00b :ph34r: j/k j/k i kid u kid we all kid

but uhh not sure if this answers your question but here's my advice to you, take back both mice and buy a logitech mx700, or mx500, or mx300, or a plain ol' logitech optical for 20 bux.

me disagrees, i had logitech mice since opticals came out and i got the MicroSoft Opt. IntelliExpl. and it is the best mouse i have ever used. Its comforatable and light. Plus it has 5 buttons and doesnt skip or catch like the logitechs did. It picks up on small movements and doesnt shake or anything.

I have the Intellimouse Optical that Playaa posted. I've gone through 3 of them and I love them. The first 2 lasted me a long time and only reason I had to replace them was my own fault. Also I cant say anything from experience about the func pads though I do hear good things about them, but I have an Everglide Attack Pad in smoke color with mouse skates. That pad is the single best investment I've ever made for my pc. I can literally blow on my mouse and it will move. Now that takes a bit to get used to but once you do you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. I dont recommend any of the other everglide pads tho because they didnt have as high of test results. For those of you talking about needing more mouse pad, you can get the Everglide Attack Pad Giganta. The thing is almost the size of a 15 inch moniter. One other thing; I've had ZERO tracking problems with the pad. Those of you who have the trouble with the mouse diving down or looking straight up out of nowhere are having tracking problems. It has to do with either your windows sensitivity or your tracking surface. It's not the mouse. www.everglide.com for those of you who are interested.

I used to buy the Intellimouse Explorer optical, the mouse was a good mouse for gaming, but I went through 3 of them in one year when I started playing counter-strike in beta 4. MS was good about sending me a new one (and they never made me send in the Junked one, which led me to believe this happened a bit with others), It would work fine for however long and then it would just slowly stop working. The light would light up and it would work for a few, then the light would flicker and go into that standby mode and not work anymore. I took my first 2 aoart to try and find the problem and the only thing I could see, was that after entering the mouse, the wire has a couple 90 degree turns in it, so I figured that after so long of gaming the strands prolly broke and weren't making good contact anymore.

The only ball mouse I would recommend would be the Razer Boomslang gaming mouse. This is a very nice mouse, a bit unorthodox to use at first, but excellent to use once you get familiar with it. The sensitivity is amazing with it, it is excellent for snipers, or picky marksman. If you move it the slightest bit, it moves with you, and doesn't skip over spots like some optical mice will do when zoomed in. Add to the fact that it has on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment, so you can adjust in game while playing, rather bring down your console. Last time my brother was up from Virginia however he "accidentally" packed it up and took it with him. So I had to find yet another mouse.

Now I use the MX500, I don't care for the extra weight that comes with battery mice, and this one is equal in every way to the MX700, save for the cord. I am extremely pleased with this mouse, and like someone else said in this thread, if you have the right drivers and it is set up right, you will not have it jump spaces (even while fully zoomed). It surprised me alot how close the sensitivity was to the boomslang in that aspect. My sensitivity is set a .3 with this mouse. Plus you have all the buttons one would want in a gaming mouse.