Upgrading my Computer - RAM? Dual core CPU? nvidia 8800gtx?

Guest Dude-

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests

Hey Guys! I want to upgrade my current computer. However I only want to upgrade 1 or 2 components, and have the least amount of bottle neck. Should I get a new dual core processor? More RAM? A new 8800 series video card? Faster harddrive? System is as follows. I have about a $500 budget.

AMD 64 3400 single core

Abit Kn8-SLi motherboard

1 gig DDR400 RAM

7800GT PCI-16x video card

SATA1 harddrive

650 watt Antec power supply

19" NEC .22 monitor, flat screen CRT

I pretty much know I need more RAM and I figure more RAM and a new dual core CPU should do me fine and work with my $500 budget. But should I think about the new AM2 sockets which allow DDR2 instead of DDR400? Im running a socket 939. For $500 I could get RAM and a new higher price monitor as well if people think thats a better way to utilize my budget.

I currently just play Counter-Strike and while I can run AA and AF at good settings, my FPS still drops down to the 30s and 40s under heavy situations. I want this problem to be gone. For this case, would getting a nvidia 8800GTX boost my performance better then getting a dual core chip? I hear they have fixed all the AA and AF problems.

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

If you get a dual-core Intel you'll have to get a new mobo AND new RAM cause those mobos run on DDR2 so...I don't know if a good setup gonna cost less than $500 though...you'll prolly want a E6600 which is about $320 so then you'll have only $180 for RAM and mobo. Your setup is better than mine for Source and I'm not planning to upgrade so far, so unless for other games I wouldn't move a muscle yet...my opinion

btw, did you OC your 3400+? That would be the best option!

your fps is being bottlenecked by your cpu big time. The 7800GT should be able to push 100fps+ solid no matter what.

2 quick options imo

get a new cpu (same socket as you have now so you can keep your mobo)

im guessing you have 939

here is a single core fx55

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103527

would give you good fps.

or you could go the dual core route and get this

x2 4200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103547

with the dual core AMD fix you should get much better fps.

you could get either of those and another gig of ram and that should keep you happy for a year or so extra.

If you can wait and save more money, Core 2 Duos will be getting a price drop around the 2nd quarter. Save up like 300-500 more dollars and you could do a big upgrade

(edited)

i go down to the 50s and 60s with my set up on some maps so going into the 40s for you is perfectly normal. one thing i found made a noticeable difference on my setup was setting cl_ragdoll... to 0. gets rid of ragdolls and dead bodies.

here's what i'd do:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

at newegg it's $564.98. oc that cpu up to 2.8ghz with ease and you've got a smoking gaming rig.

as everyone has said, the bottleneck in cs:source is nearly 100% cpu with that vid card and monitor. this setup should be a dramatic increase in fps even with no oc and will smoke once they release multithreading support for the source engine.

Edited by Cujo

I highly recommend the Core 2's, I added an E6600 (which I have not overclocked at all) to go with 2 gigs of RAM and my existing 7800GT, and it absolutely smokes CS:S, as well as about anything else I can throw at it. Wouldn't take much of an overclock on that CPU to notice a huge improvement in your performance!

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests
I highly recommend the Core 2's, I added an E6600 (which I have not overclocked at all) to go with 2 gigs of RAM and my existing 7800GT, and it absolutely smokes CS:S, as well as about anything else I can throw at it. Wouldn't take much of an overclock on that CPU to notice a huge improvement in your performance!

Thanks for the advice guys. I think a CPU and more RAM is the best choice at the moment. My 19" monitor can suffice, but my roommates 22" widescreen makes me cry everytime I go back to 19". His computer is a Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs DDR2 800, and a 7950GTX video card. Its better then mine but not as much better as I might expect. Also for the reason of not wanting to switch my motherboard, I want to continue with AMD. That and my processor doesnt pass 30 degrees C on even the hottest days of the year, whereas my roomates Intel passes 60 C with an aftermarket fan.

However I am curious about the 8000 series of nvidia which is supposed to fix the anti-aliasing and such. Considering they pretty much dont even work above 4x this could be a rpetty good performance area to increase correct? Or do I need Windows Vista to see any time of improvement. I would drop more cash but I am trying to buy a 42" Plasma TV at the same time (Doh!)

not sure what you're talking about regarding the 8800 and fixing anti aliasing but your 7800gt should be able to handle aa in cs:s without difficulty. aa does not increase performance it increases visual quality.

if your roommate's core 2 is passing 60c with an after market fan then he is doing something wrong. there are a few people on here with oc'ed core 2's and they're not hitting close to that.

you're stupid to upgrade your existing setup with extra ram and dual core amd as you would need at least a 4600+ to notice an improvement over your current cpu.

my suggestion is but $65 over your budget and will give you a large performance increase as well as extend the lifetime of your system (quad core support). i don't see a problem here...

oh and it's obvious your cpu temp sensor is reading incorrectly. i've had more than a few 939 cpus on various cooling and even with the best at stock speeds i've had load temps around 30c with ambient of just 23c.

and another thing LCD > plasma.

i could go on responding to even more things you've said but i'm tired and need some sleep.