Any zone alarm users out there

Ice_Berge_00

I've used Zone Alarm for quite some time, always liked it and had very little trouble with it, until recently.

Lately if I leave my comp running for overnight, after about 24 hrs or so if I try to start anyh programs needing internet access (TS, Firefox, games, etc...) they are unable to connect. At first I thought it was my router or my cable modem but no dice. Then I tried killing zone alarm and bam everything has access suddenly.

Even stranger, is programs that were running (such as AIM) overnight still had access with Zone alarm running, just anything that wasn't already connected to the internet. Also, if I restart zone alarm it goes back to this weird state, I have to restart to fix it. The internet lock is not engaged either, toggling it also has no benefit.

simple answer. uninstall zone alarm. if you have a router then you don't need a software firewall. disable the windows firewall and zone alarm and manage your ports on your hardware router.

You might try a reinstall if you are attached to ZoneAlarm. The nice thing about software firewalls is they go with you wherever you are: LAN party, etc. This are especially nice if you have frequent visitors who plug in to your LAN or you have a laptop.

Of course, if you're running Windows XP and don't need anything fancy in terms of a SW firewall the built-in firewall works pretty well, and all you have to do is be up-to-date on patches. Plus, if you inadvertently turn on the XP firewall and have ZoneAlarm running, you'll have all sorts of weirdness.

Come to think of it, check to see if your XP firewall got enabled somehow.

And Cujo raises a good point if it's just you on the network and you don't travel often: One of the downsides to a SW firewall is that it takes system resources, another is that they can cause weirdness, so if your current setup has only trusted machines you can probably just do without. You don't get the more granular control over network access permissions, but you also don't have to authorize stuff and battle weirdness constantly.

Did anybody see that new Vista PC vs. Mac commercial with the bodyguard?

For the most part I agree about those commercials. I haven't been using Vista since the early betas, but I've been toying with it since RC1, and it's nowhere near that bad. You know, just like most of the other commercials - gross exaggeration.

I did actually enjoy that one a little bit, though. "Cancel, or allow?"