athlon 64 x2

(edited)

The E6700 is overkill and over priced. The E6600 can easily be overclocked to E6700 speeds and even at stock the E6600 is as fast or faster than even the FX series of AMD chips.

Here is a quick comparison I found comparing the AM2 vs Core 2 Duos.

The E6400 should be around as fast stock as the 90nm 5200+ for $220, and it would run cooler and have more headroom than the AMD.

For around $180, the E6300 could be an option too. All Core 2's overclock like crazy and you could easily get E6400 performance out of the less expensive model with a mild overclock on stock cooling and no voltage changes.

The E6700 would absolutely blow away most everything AMD has to offer right now out of the water, you certainly shouldn't be looking at it when trying to compare with AMD's chips right now, except maybe the fastest FX ones.

Anyways, just thought you should have more details about them. Cujo can give more/better info on this than I can, but read that article I linked to, it's a good starting point for your decision.

Edited by boilersax

I assumed this was a minor cpu upgrade. If you are going the route of a new CPU, mobo, and RAM, then you want the new Intel chip. I've always been an AMD guy myself but this new processor from Intel is the way I plan to go when I upgrade in the coming months.

i've had amd for 5 years and now i have intel. just buy whatever is best and fits your budget. in today's market the answer to both is intel. i have an e4300 running at 2.88ghz with very little effort and 100% stability. almost any intel board with do 320fsb and lock the ram in at stock 800mhz which is what i'm doing right now.

don't get the e6300 or e6400 no matter what and especially if you plan on overclocking. just get an e4300 or e4400 for ocing or if you're not gonna oc then get an e6320 or e6420. extra 2mb cache for the same price.

cuj,

how will these fair on video rendering (sony vegas) or 3d (cararra)?

I see your saying to go with the e4300 or e4400 and oc (I dont know how to oc ;(

so why not get a e6400 and overclock to e6700 speed???

Can you give a bit more advice here and why?

Thanks for this help, I will stick with intel just help me make the right choice on the chip.

Aug

ok I read the site and wow was that helpful....

I'm sold ont he E6400 which is almost always better than the 5000

Granted for a few dollars less the 5200 is a bit faster than the 5000

but when looking at the rendering speeds of lightwave and pov Intel DEMOLISHED amd there and

that worries me since I'm doing 3d animations for wedding videos.

I'll change it out from a 5200 to a 6400 and go with that with 4 gb of ram...

I just cant afford 8 gb of ram?

Aug

(edited)

lol that's a boatload of RAM, but for what you want to do should be great.

Besides clock speeds/price, I don't know enough about the differences between the E4300/4400 to tell you why you should go with those and not the 6400, hopefully cujo can clear that up :D

Edited by boilersax

*please note*, intel uses a quad pumped front side bus so when i mention 200 and 266 below that gives you 800 and 1066fsb which the cpus are listed as.

4300 and 4400 start at 200 fsb. this means a simple overclock to 266fsb like the e6300 and e6400 already run at.

simple math below:

e4300 runs at 200x9 to get 1800mhz

e6300 runs at 266x7 to get 1866mhz

e4300 with 266x9 would get 2400mhz

you would be stressing absolutely nothing since every core 2 motherboard supports 266fsb.

the same as above applies to the e4400 and the e6400. the e4400 is the best buy since 266x10 gives you 2670mhz.

btw, i'm confused when you say you don't know how to oc in your above post and then in the very next line you suggest ocing...

*also note* so as not to confuse anyone. i have the e4300 because the e4400 wasn't out when i bought it. if i had the choice i'd certainly go e4400.

one last thing, i read the other day that the e4300 and e4400 tend not to oc as high as the e6xxx chips. you should have no trouble reaching close to 3ghz on either chip though so i wouldn't worry too much about it but just saying incase someone mentions it or you read it somewhere. i'm running my e4300 at 2.88ghz with very little effort.

Cujo,

What is your recommendation on a motherboard?

What is your top of the line recommendation?

What is your under 200 recommendation (the new nvidia that is a 680i but slightly stripped down?)

Intel or nvidia chipset?

It also looks like Cujo that the E4300 and 4400 only have 2MB cache where the 6600 and etc have the 4MB cache. I honestly did not know about the E4300 and 4400 CPU's and currently the 4400 is still not available for sale.

This is a must read article: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...2duo-e6420.html

At least read the first page and notice the price drops in April. If you can wait a few weeks, please do. The 6600 will become quite affordable and the new budget processors with 4MB cache will show up. Very nice. I personally will be waiting after all.

Edited by ZeroDamage

(edited)
What is your recommendation on a motherboard?

ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

What is your top of the line recommendation?

ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard - Retail

What is your under 200 recommendation (the new nvidia that is a 680i but slightly stripped down?)

ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel or nvidia chipset?

nvidia 680i or either intel 975/965. the new cut down 680 looks to be a winner but none available yet.

It also looks like Cujo that the E4300 and 4400 only have 2MB cache where the 6600 and etc have the 4MB cache. I honestly did not know about the E4300 and 4400 CPU's and currently the 4400 is still not available for sale.

ya, the 6600 has 4mb cache but we weren't discussing that price point here. i would normally get the extra cache cpus but i was on a tight budget. sadly the e4xxx series doesn't look to be getting the 4mb cache. i wouldn't even consider the e63xx or e64xx for overclocking. the multiplier is just too low, even if you get the extra cache versions, you'd run into a motherboard fsb limit before reaching the cpu limit a lot of the time.

Edited by Cujo

Check out the link I posted above from Xbit. They were able to overclock the ... I think 6420 which will be out in the next few weeks to over 3ghz. This is the link here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...o-e6420_11.html

2.9~ without a vcore bump, 3.7 with. That is an awesome overclock considering these things outperform most of AMD's stuff before an over clock. The 6420 is replacing the 6400 by lowering the price and adding 2Mb of cache to make it 4MB total.

According to this page at the bottom: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...2duo-e6420.html

The 6400/6420 will be priced at 183 or so when the price drop comes. It right now sells for 220 with only the 2MB version. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115004

That is what I will be getting when it comes out next month.

zd, my big problem is not with the cpus themselves. it's the motherboard. i'm not saying they're bad overclockers. i just don't like having to push my fsb that high.

This is why I may go with the 6600 processor after the price drop. I am not sure to be honest. All I know is that motherboard prices for Intel stuff is ridiculous! This is where the AMD price may make sense for many if they want dual core on the cheap.

And let me add that the 209 priced Mobo by Asus that you posted looks nice but the user reviews for it look horrible. Almost everyone has had problems and many had to RMA the boards. That is a bad sign to me.

And let me add that the 209 priced Mobo by Asus that you posted looks nice but the user reviews for it look horrible. Almost everyone has had problems and many had to RMA the boards. That is a bad sign to me.

probably because they all bought when it was first released. every 680i mobo had problems at the start due to crappy shipping bioses. most problems should have been fixed by now.

cuj,

I mean when I overclock...I'm using the auto oclock in asus' bios. I don't do anything except change it from standard to 5% or higher. If that doesnt work then going manual is out of my leauge. So in that sense I don't know what to do.

If you tell me to do it manually, heak I'm not sure where to start except I know the voltage/vcore and multiplier menus but dont know much about em.

Cuj the 6600 sounds like a good choice for me so I'm gonna go with that.

Thanks a TON for the help,

If I get a easy oc board that works you won't hear back from me. If I get one that requires manual settings then you'll hear back from me.

I'll be buying in about a month as I'm prepping to now research audio gear (wireless mics, flash recorders, microphones).

Aug

Those higher end Asus boards make using the "auto-overclock" very easy. I used it on my P5B (cheaper than the $200+ ones listed above) and got my E6600 up to 2.8GHz without any trouble whatsoever (didn't leave it there because I had no reason to!). If you go with the E6600 yourself though, you shouldn't have any need to overclock it, at least not for quite a while. The price drops coming next month should great for everyone looking to upgrade soon :D