Gfx card

dragonfly

A friend of mine wants a new card, but doesnt want to spend a butt-load of money on it. I showed him the 7600 and he swears he wants 512. Personally, I dont care what he spends his money on. How's the x1600 by Asus? It needs to be pci-e. What's the suggestions?

(edited)

any specific price limit we're looking at? Newegg has an evga 7950GT (256MB) for $199 or a sapphire X1950XT for $219 (plus rebate). Thats not bad for two strong graphics cards. Give us a number to work with and someone will give you a good option for that money :D

Also, unless he wants to run at a high resolution (i.e. higher than 1280x1024) then the extra memory (512MB vs 256MB) might not be a big need to run current games at pretty high settings. The budget can help determine this though!

Edited by boilersax

x1600pro 512mb is still the best card for the money (around $110) it outperforms GF cards in like price range by a lot.

This one is only $75 after mail in rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161042

And this one is the x1650pro for $110: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102064

The x1650 is a bit faster but the x1600pro can run CS:S on all full with good fps

(edited)

first, your friend is an idiot.

second, x1650xt if you can find it is better than a 7600gt. though a 7600gt is still a pretty good card for the money and much better than a x1600pro.

Edited by Cujo

(edited)

Ha ha, thanks guys. He didnt give me a price range, he just said "cheap", and 512... I tried to tell him that it's not the most important thing, but as far as he can tell, it's 512>256 no matter what. So I also pointed him towards the 7900 GS KO at NCIX. Thanks for the newegg info, but they dont ship to Canada - thats' where we are.

linky

Cujo, you have such a beautiful way with words!

Edited by DarkArchon

If that 7900GS KO falls in his definition of "cheap", then it should be a pretty good card, a little beefier than an x16-- anything. 7600gts aren't bad either, could at least handle source pretty well if his processor is up to the task.

An underclocked (thanks, dell) 7900gs is in this laptop, and it handles stuff like source great even at 1920x1200. I say present that 7900gs to him, and if he wanted cheaper then look for that x1650xt that cujo suggested. 7600gt could work if you can't find the ati card.

Actually seal was in last year, this year is bald eagle. Though I'm not sure why, since the feathering has sharp edges... :P

Note, preach, where it says "From: Thunder Bay, ON". Though, most of you americans have been taught to keep your head in your butts so I dont blame you :) :) jk! dont come invade us!

I passed on both links to him, and tried to convince a little more that all he needs is a 256 card like the x1600 or x1650... oh well, it's his money.