dual channel ram

(edited)

Think of it this way, you have a guy who can lift 500lbs or 2 guys that together can lift 700lbs. It's along the same lines as Raid hard drives make data faster - duel chanel RAM makes accessing that data faster. On a good note if you look at Newegg's deals on 2gb RAM (2x1gb) they are all duel channel (same with the 2x512mb) so you don't have to look real hard to run the ram in duel chanel mode.

Deals:

What I would want to buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820144030

A cheaper alternative: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231087

Edited by Preacher

preach,

is latency a must?

Aug

preach,

on the compatabillity chart for the asus board, it has

dual channel 1

and dual channel 2

is that single sided vd double sided? I'm not sure what to make of it

the chart reads as follows:

reccomment memory config:

dimm_1b dimm_2b dimm_1a dimm_2a

single channel populated

populated populated

populated populated

dual channel (1) populated populated

populated populated

dual channel (2) populated populated populated populated

so my qustion is what is dual channel 1 vs. dual channel 2?

Aug

That "chart" shows you where to put your RAM to have it run in dual channel. There are four slots for RAM. Say you buy 2GB (2x1GB sticks). In order for it to run in dual channel, you place one stick in the 1a slot and the other in the 1b. If you get an additional 2GB or ram down the road, they would go in the 2a and 2b slots. The 1 and 2 are just used to delineate between the two sets.

As mentioned before, the RAM sticks have to "match" (same manufacturer and part numbers) in order to run dual channel. good luck :peace:

boiler, I got that part (thanks anyways) I'm asking what the difference is between the

dual channel 1 and 2 are?

I know there are single sided and double sided rams so I want to make sure thats not what it means?

love that av by the way boiler :)

one other question on ram...

is 800mhz a major diff vs 667?

or even 533?

it does get cheaper for the lower mhz.

is this worth the money or is 667 good enough?

Aug

lol, sorry bout that, but from your question thats what it looked like you were asking. AFAIK, the 1 and 2 are just to distinguish between the "paired" slots. Can't say I've ever heard of double and single sided RAM, but I only started building systems a couple years ago and DDR2 was already widely available.

(edited)

I understand budgets but I also know regrets personally. I would say spend the extra for the RAM to get the 800mhz it really isn't that much more. I'll direct you to the cheapest set I would personally purchase if you want.

As far as that DDR1 and DDR 2 it's stating that there are two seperate DDR duel chanels so slots 1 and 3 and slots 2 and 4 are set-up to coincide with one another. Don't worry about single and double density RAM for DDR2 they did away with that incompatibility issue (so I heard from a corsair rep)

This is prolly the cheapest 2gb set I would go with. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820161030

You can run these at 4-4-4-12 pretty stable according to some benchmarks I read and also according to a few of the newegg reviews. Since you are planning on doing video editing I would say you need at least this much ram the faster and the lower the latency the better

Edited by Preacher

(edited)

i don't know if it's been said but there's no such thing as "dual channel ram". dual channel is a method of accessing the ram. the reason they are called dual channel kits is that they are designed to run in dual channel. all this means is that the manufacturers took 2 sticks of ram and tested them in dual channel operation before selling them. when you buy a dual channel kit they are guaranteed to operate in dual channel when installed in the appropriate memory slots on motherboards which support dual channel. you can take 2 single sticks of generic ram and install it in dual channel mode on any motherboard that supports dual channel.

edit - going back to the original question after realizing the above. yes, it is worth it to run your ram in dual channel. whether you purchase a dual channel kit is entirely up to you.

Edited by Cujo

note: there have been issues with two "different" ram chips running in duel chanel so don't buy one stick g-skill and then get a stick of corsair and expect them to opperate flawlessly (they might just don't count on it)