Your UT controls...

I am very interested in settings. I am completely convinced that everyone (except MadPat...bwahahahahaha...J/K) is better than me. I know it is 99% skill-related (and 99% admin hax related, if you are FK) but 1% has something to do with hardware, software etc...I wish to learn, scientifically about this phenomenon.

So, please post your settings that you play with as well as a few selected hardware stats:

Mouse sensitivity (in game)

Mouse smoothing

Mouse acceleration

Double jump (double dodge) click speed

Screen Resolution

Graphics settings (textures, shadows, etc...)

FPS average if you know it

Avg ping to our servers on any given night

Type of mouse (also resolution of mouse if it is optical/laser)

Type of controller or keyboard

Vid card and CPU.

Thanks much all you GC'ers and pubbers.

Here's mine:

Mouse sensitivity (in game) = 7.75

Mouse smoothing = 0.5

Mouse acceleration = 0.0

Double jump (double dodge) click speed = 0.35

Screen Resolution = 1680 x 1050

Textures = higher

character texture = high

world detail = high

physics detail = high

Dynamic mesh LOD = normal

Decal stay = normal

Shadows = full

FPS average if you know it = avg 90 fps

Avg ping to our servers on any given night 35-70

Type of mouse (also resolution of mouse if it is optical/laser) = logitech G7 (usually at middle dpi = 1000)

Type of controller or keyboard = wolfking warrior

Vid card and CPU = Geforce 7900 GT KO (extreme overclock)/Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (currently oc @ 2.65 ghz)

[/b]

Edited by Tek-Almighty

As far as mouse stuff goes, you should have it so that you can turn a 360(ish) with one fluid motion across your pad. That's what I read anyway.

Mouse sensitivity (in game) = 1.25 (G5, 2000dpi out of game, sentsetivity setting to normal) <- make this as slow as you can and still play comfortable. Just watch one of our matches, and check out Shaniah's sensetivity (spec from his view)

Mouse smoothing = 0.0

Mouse acceleration = 0.0

Double jump (double dodge) click speed = 0.55

Screen Resolution = 1920x1200

Textures = highest

character texture = highest

world detail = high

physics detail = high

Dynamic mesh LOD = highest

Decal stay = high

Shadows = full

turned off: foilage, weather fx, (could also turn off coronas) and fog set to max

FPS average if you know it = avg 84 fps <- the server is capped at that. When i play instant action, more like 300fps

Avg ping to our servers on any given night 65-90

Type of mouse (also resolution of mouse if it is optical/laser) = logitech G5 (dpi = 2000)

Type of controller or keyboard = microsoft media pro

Vid card and CPU = Geforce 7900 GTX / C2D E6600 @ 3.1ghz, 2gigs o'ram @ 800mhz

Dodging, you just have to kinda learn to wait until you should dodge... like let the guy shoot his rockets, then dodge them, not just dodge as soon as you see someone. I think we should really practice dm with TAM. All the really good dmers in ons play tam too.

Mouse: just set it low so that you have to move it more to hit a guy. That way you can follow a lot better, and lead better too.

When I start sucking at dm'ing for some reason (happens every month, where I jsut cant hit jack) I stop driving vehicles (especially tank!) and just take lightning/shock and try to hit guys until I get my shot back.

I've also got almost all my guns bound:

TAB = link

shift = crouch

ctrl = shock/mini

Q = flak

R = rocket launcher/avril

G = throw gun

back (on mouse) = lightning

right scroll = super weapon

left scroll = sheild gun

; = special horn :)

Mouse sensitivity (in game) = 2.65 (my DPI is 800)

Mouse smoothing = 0.3

Mouse acceleration = 0.0

Double jump (double dodge) click speed = 0.4

Screen Resolution = 1152x864 (any higher and my refresh drops to 75=eye bleedage)

Textures = highest

character texture = normal

world detail = high

physics detail = high

Dynamic mesh LOD = normal

Decal stay = normal

Shadows = blob

FPS average if you know it = avg 60s-80s depending on server/map

Avg ping to our servers on any given night = 40-70 (Comcast fixed it!)

Type of mouse (also resolution of mouse if it is optical/laser) = a nothing special logitech 2 button w/ scroll (laser 800dpi)

I bought a Razor Diamondback a few months ago but took it back for a refund. The thing was just uncomfortable, I wanted to take a belt sander to the outside and rip apart and add springs to the switches and file down the wheel cog inside. There is a post our forums about the ordeal lol. I also got a Wowpad a couple months ago, slick surface took some getting used to but I did like it right off the bat. It's huge and was only $10. My old mouse pad was from the 90's.

Type of controller or keyboard = a nothing special Logitech

Keys binds don't matter except that you need them:

q = shock

e = flack

r = link

f = lightning

c = bring raptor down and crush heads

x = cool hornage

shift = vent

ctrl = in game mic

tab = rockets (this one I added after playing Oblivion for a for a week. I never thought it was all that accessible until I was constantly hitting tab to pull up my stats/inv.

Vid card and CPU = Geforce 7900 GT OC (500/1500) / Athlon 64 3500+ (currently oc @ 2.4 ghz)

Also what Dark said about dodging, wait for him to do a big jump first that way you know where he is going to land (flak/rockets!)

thanks for replies...i hope more post, cuz I'm learning a lot...

aparently, I have my mouse sensitivity set way too high. I can do a 360 in about 3 inches...I am sure that this affects me being able to hit ppl and deadeye shock rifle and lighting gun shots like Dark does. I over react all the time. I suppose that was the point of getting a G7 adjustable dpi mouse, but I rarely use it except steady stand still sniping.

But, it is hard to change, because I don't move my arm a lot during play, just wrist. I gamed for 4 years using track ball and that is prolly the death of me...I' surprised I can hit anything.

keep posting please...everyone.

My arm doenst move a whole lot, just when I'm tracking a raptor going overhead.

Bush, idk how you do it with c as your crouch. I played like that for a year or two, but I found it too hard to crouch and strafe right at the same time, so i had to switch to something my pinky could use. You're a bigger man than me.

Bush, idk how you do it with c as your crouch. I played like that for a year or two, but I found it too hard to crouch and strafe right at the same time, so i had to switch to something my pinky could use. You're a bigger man than me.

Crouch and strafe? Hmm I never thought about doing the two at the same time so not a problem so far. I do use my pinky all the time though for talking with with shift and ctrl. Sound activation is out of the question because of all the activity in my household.

Crouch and strafe? Hmm I never thought about doing the two at the same time so not a problem so far. I do use my pinky all the time though for talking with with shift and ctrl. Sound activation is out of the question because of all the activity in my household.

I meant in the raptor... it's not really a problem on foot I guess :D In the raptor I like to fly at the guy with my side, since it's wider than just the front (you do this too). But I want to be able to do it from both sides. That and I want dodges in both directions to be just as easy from using them all the time.

Thanks for the ego boost Tek. I know I am rather weaker than most of you but hey I just learned that you can move forward and dodge to left or right for improved distance. Found that out two weeks ago. YOU WILL PERSONALLY NOTICE AN IMPROVEMENT IN MY PLAYING :)

As for settings, I do not know what half of what was mentioned does. Mouse smoothing. Give your mouse that silky smooth touch as you hold it? lol How do you find ping? How to during game to call up multi player server without leaving game?

I do notice some major diffs in in-game mouse sensitivity, mouse smoothing, and double jump timings.

All but I had higher texture settings with all on/off set to off. I originally had a Geoforce 6200 so should change these settings with my new system. Mouse resolution ranged from 800-2000 dpi. I use 600 dpi for game and 450 for far ranged sniper action. No one mentioned overclocking but know Dark does overclock. No mention of screen size unless you infer from screen resolution or screen refresh in nanoseconds.

Here is my setting

Mouse sensitivity in game 1.25

Mouse smoothing 1.25 all you much lower by 75 percent so will look to changing

Mouse Accel 0.0

DoubleJump timing .5

Screen Resolution 1680x1050 (same as Tek)

Textures Normal

Character Texture Normal

World Detail High

Physics Detail Normal

Dynamic Mesh LOD Normal

Decal Stay Normal

Shadows Full

FPS 84

AVG Ping ?

Mouse mx518 8 Button (most weapon call up from mouse with last 3 on nostromo)

Mouse Resolution 2000 dpi (play at 650 normally and 450 setting for distance sniping-Nostromo macro key control for mouse resolution)

Controll Nostromo N52 (1/2 keyboard with 4 direction toggle and scroll wheel, has 4 shift states to quadruple number of button uses)

Vid Card 8800gts OC

CPU E6600

CPU Speed 2.4 Ghz

Ram 2 Gb

Decals on

Dynamic lighting on

Detail textures on

Coronas on

Trilinear FIltering on

Projectors on

Foliage on (Dark has off so I will change)

Weather Effects on (Dark has off I will change)

Fog distance off

I have spreadsheet with info posted from above. Hope to see you tonight. Busy until 9:30 PM EST

I meant in the raptor... it's not really a problem on foot I guess :D In the raptor I like to fly at the guy with my side, since it's wider than just the front (you do this too). But I want to be able to do it from both sides. That and I want dodges in both directions to be just as easy from using them all the time.

I think I always strike from the left side. I dunno I never really thought about it. I still get major kills form the raptor smashing, it is my favorite! I just get my momentum going then look left/right right before impact. Next time I play I will pay attention to what exactly I'm doing.

Pat: those two things I have off cause you really dont need them on at all. They just get in the way and dont affect game play at all (same with coronas, but i think they look pretty :D )

The only thing OC'ing will help with is loadtimes, as well as with big servers (32 players). It'll help keep your fps high, but you dont have to worry about that at all with your card.

To go to server browser without disconnecting, dont click disconnect, just click "server browser" instead. :)

Hit f1 to bring up everyone's scores. Where it says "ping", there'll be a number. That's the ping we're talking about. There's also P/L, which is packet loss, and pph which is points per hour. The pph will tell you how fast you're getting the points you are. Personally, i think it tells way more than just points alone.

Bush: Yeah, I LOVE raptor smashing! It's definitely fun!

Where is everyone else???

FK, Dingy, Shadow, Cannon, Primus...c'mon homies.

Anyways.

Dark,

Bush and I wondered about mapping guns...I know that they are locked to the numbers 1-9, but you have mapped to keys. That would help me tremendously. Is that something you did with command console (~)? Or is that a function of a game controller?

Please let us know, becuase scroll wheel and numbers are cool, but not nearly as convenient as nearby letters.

Thanks

I have began to lower my resolution to 800 dpi on the fly, when I am dm'ing during ONS. However, I find this resolution too low for vehicles. Apparently this strat helps a bit (too soon to tell, but maybe it was the fact that I only had 2 beers), b/c last night on full server, I managed to score 146 in 3 rounds of Dria...that's pretty unheard of for me. I even won a few DM with FK and Gladiator.

Thanks for input. Macroed into my nostromo f1 key. Don't have keyboard out when playing. Inside keyboard draw so closer to monitor. Strafe while moving hmmmm........ Similar to dodging left while moving forward. More detail appreciated. I mentioned a speadsheet with fact on game settings. I was unclear. I did it for everyone posted side by side. If want I could email it to you.

Your keyed weapons to letter keys. Was that done through ini file? I do not need it with nostromo but would help people with short fingers or carpal tunnel like me.

Ok....

Even though my ws monitor complains, I have my resolution set to 1152x864. The framerate seems to be much higher.

My display adapter is a 7800GT.

As for the controls - I am using the stock out-of-the box controls. Every now and then I'll experiment, but they

normally go back to what they were...

Mouse Sensitivity is 5.00

smoothing is .30

acceleration is 0

DD click time is .4

And I have all the eye-candy turned on to the highest.

Fog distance is maxed; wetaher effects are on.

(edited)

You guys have been playing with only numbers bound!?!?!? You guys are crazy!!!! :D :D Now I'm really impressed you do so well with only using numbers for the guns!

Tek: Bush has guns mapped to keys too... I just did it in the game itself. Settings/Input/Configure Controls. It's right there for ya.

Here's a quote I found online that will help you to bind 2 guns to one key (example, I have shock AND mini bound to Ctrl)

"Creating a key/bind for weapon switching so pressing E for Link Gun and pressing again to get the Minigun. This is the way you do it:

E=pipedswitchweapon 5 | pipedswitchweapon 6

The Weapons are as follows:

switchweapon 0 = Super Weapons. Ion Painter, Target Painter and the Redeemer.

switchweapon 1 = Shield Gun.

switchweapon 2 = Assault Rifle.

switchweapon 3 = Bio Rifle and the Mine Layer.

switchweapon 4 = Shock Rifle.

switchweapon 5 = Link Gun.

switchweapon 6 = Minigun.

switchweapon 7 = Flak Cannon and the Grenade Launcher.

switchweapon 8 = Rocket Launcer and the Avril.

switchweapon 9 = Lightning Gun and the Sniper Rifle.

switchweapon 10 = Translocator.

Note that on weapons 0, 2, 7, 8 and 9 there is more than one weapon in that group and if you are carrying both then pressing the key again will switch between them.

So when you do a bind like E=pipedswitchweapon 5 | pipedswitchweapon 7 you need to think that really what you are going to get is slightly more complex as I will quickly explain.

The whole principal will work on what you have set in your weapon prioraty listing. if your Flak Cannon is higher than the Grenade Launcher you will get Link Gun -> Flak Cannon -> Link Gun.

However if the Grenade Launcher is higher than the Flak Cannon you will get Link Gun -> Grenade Launcher -> Link Gun.

Obviously if you are only carrying one of the two weapons it will choose that weapon." Link for info

He's talking about the user.ini file in the above section. The following section are for ~ commands:

Incase anyone's curios:

stat anim - toggles on/off animation statistics display

stat default - resets most statistic display flags to not display anything

stat reset - same as default

stat fps - toggles on/off frames per second display

stat render - toggles on/off rendering statistics display

stat hardware - toggles on/off hardware statistics display

stat game - toggles on/off game statistics display

stat histogrpah - toggles on/off histograph statistics display

stat xboxmem - toggles on/off XBox memory statistics display

stat matinee - toggles on/off matinee statistics display

stat audio - toggles on/off audio statistics display

stat net - toggles on/off network statistics display

stat all - toggles on all statistics display

stat none - toggles off all statistics display

mem - displays allocated memory information

demoplay [demoname]

demorec [demoname]

stopdemo

Now, to bind guns to mouse buttons, I did that manually. (I have g5, so I use logitech's setpoint). Load up setpoint, click "Select Program", find UT2004.exe. Whatever buttons you want to customize, just select "custom keystroke assignment", then pick the key you want. since 9 = lightning gun, I have mouse button 4 set to keystroke assignment "9". Just make sure that gun (or guns) is assigned the same in UT options.

Hope that is clear enough. If not, just ask on vent and we'll get it all figured out. It's not very hard though. If you're scared to mess too much with your .ini file, just make a copy in notepad and save it elsewhere before you go poking around in there.

Go Tek!!! Wait... who am I going to pick on once you get better than me!?

Edit: mouse dpi = 2000, sensitivity set to medium on mouse itself (switch on the fly), mouse sensetivity in logitech setpoint set to dead middle, UT ingame sensitivity is set to 1.25 -> all of that = my actual ingame sensitivity.

Edit #2: I found where you can download Keybindingpro and just do some dual binding in your control settings: Here! (along with many other cool gizmos)

Edited by DarkArchon

Where is everyone else???

FK, Dingy, Shadow, Cannon, Primus...c'mon homies.

You don't want mine! I still play with the track ball you abandoned (thumb ball) and select weapons with a mouse wheel. I tried a mouse for a while but you know how us seriously old guys get set in their ways. :smiling2: My typing skills just aren't up to doing stuff like key binding which is really pretty funny considering I spent 15 years typing technical test reports. I always said that I type as fast as I think! :smiling2::smiling2:

I might regret this.....

I have pipedswitched center mouse button between flak cannon and shocker with my MX518 mouse and mouse setpoint the rest of the mouse buttons (8 total) to keyboard keys. Pipedswitched weapons can be finicky. There is a priority as Dark mentioned. If I have grenade launcher, flak, and shocker, I need to scroll to move my grenade to flak. If is switch weapon from grenade to different keyed weapon (not center mouse button) when I go back I have grenade again next click brings up shocker. These are only two available with out the use of scroll to flak. If I leave on flack to different keyed weapon (not center mouse button) when I go back I have flak and shocker available and will need to scroll from flak to grenade to then use with center mouse button. I tried using pipedswitch with rockets/avril and link had problems. Fine if only two weapons rockets-link or avril-link, but once you get rockets-avril - link you can't use the key to switch to link. I keybind rockets and avril to one key with no extra weapons for that key. There is a website Madhookup that goes over pipeswitching and nostromo. Some of it orks and some does not.

Hey MadPat, if you haven't fixed your UTComp mymenu problem then do this.

In your User.ini file look in the [Engine.Input] section and find the line that starts with F5= and change it to this.

F5=mymenu

That will make your F5 key bring up the UTComp menu. Then you could set a key on your Nostromo to F5 or a button on your Mouse to F5.

Hey MadPat, if you haven't fixed your UTComp mymenu problem then do this.

In your User.ini file look in the [Engine.Input] section and find the line that starts with F5= and change it to this.

F5=mymenu

That will make your F5 key bring up the UTComp menu. Then you could set a key on your Nostromo to F5 or a button on your Mouse to F5.

Thanks, but I already locked utcomp menu onto a key in my nostromo about two matches ago. I recorded a very long macro with nostromo recorder. Just types ` key and started keystrokes to call up utcomp then exit. Timed it to .01 seconds between keys. Your method cleaner and useful for non nostromo users for fast access to utcomp with F5 key.

By default avril and rocket are on the same key, so when I set it to "R", both of em are on there, with the rocket launcher coming up first. I dont think you can pipe 3 guns, besides, it'd be pointless. I recommend only piping guns that you use all the time, which is for sure shock, and lightning, and flak, and rocket/avril. I dont have link piped, cause i want to get it out quick.

FYI, my aim improved when I switched my gun view from "right" to "hidden". Just memorize your crosshairs. I also have my map opacity set to 101 and the scale to 91. Settings/HUD/[dropdown - onslaught]/configure

That way I can see through the map, it's not so big, and all of my hud is smaller for a better view too. I love it this way. But seriously, hidden gun is best move I ever did.

(edited)

Tek here's my config,

E - Forward

D - Back

F - Strafe Right

S - Strafe Left

Q - Toss Gun

W - Rocket Launcher/Avril

R - Shock Rifle

T - Public chat

R - Team chat

A - Mic activation

G - Link Gun

Z - Lightning gun/sniper

C - Flack Cannon

V - Minigun

Space - Secondary Fire

Left Shift - Crouch/Fly down

Left Mouse - Fire

Right Mouse - Jump

one of my left "thumb" buttons on the mouse I use to get in / out of vehicles

I use the Logitech MX518 at 1600 DPI with a ratpadz GS gaming surface that is quite worn out :P

Mouse sens in-game is at 1.0, although this setting directly relates to your windows settings so it's hard to gauge.. generally I can do a 360 across my pad about twice

I turn off mouse acceleration and mouse smoothing, because any software manipulation tends to slow down the response time slightly.

Any time you set up a config you want to take into consideration that you should have everything you use in an easy spot so you don't ever have to "think" about what keys to hit while you're playing.

In other words, mouse wheel weapon switching = slow, plus you have to watch for the weapon you want so you're taking your eyes off the game.

having weapons on the number keys is no good, because you are taking your movement keys off the home row for too long, and some people have to look at their keyboard.

basing all your most commonly used weapons and functions off the left hand home row is optimal

Increasing your knowledge of the weapons can help in deciding which config to use.. I switch a lot between hitscan/medium range weapons (IE, LG to RL) so I have them on buttons that are closest to my side strafe buttons which is what I tend to use a lot of during fights.

Here's a couple tips to give you a slight edge:

Play with a good mouse, the mx518 is excellent, I've also heard the razor (razorback?) whatever its called is nice but I don't like the shape.. basically any of the high dpi logitech opticals will give you a nice gaming feel, just get the one that fits your hand best.

If you find yourself over rotating, overcorrecting, or realigning a lot when you play.. lower your mouse sensitivity. Basically you want it to be as low as possible while maintaining a level of mobility and comfort in-game. You want to be able to have it precise enough to aim at a face.. and loose enough to be able to flip a 180 without picking your mouse up.

I put a pinch of baby powder under my mouse skates occasionally to reduce friction and to absord any moisture that might be on the pad

if you're like me and have broken both your hands, it helps to run some warm water over your hands/wrists for a few minutes before you play to loosen up.

This is the best piece of advice I can give you tek: PLAY CALM! Have fun, scream a bit.. but ultimately if you let someone like bushwack mess with your head.. you will fall into a slump really fast. I tend to have a high ego that my stats don't always back up, but it doesn't stop me from thinking to myself "man he got me, but I will definately get him next time and it will be easy" Use the Neo approach (don't think you're faster, KNOW you're faster)

Oh, and Turn off shadows, turn off gore, turn off foliage, basically turn off everything that could mess up your view of the target

If you could just see a big freakin square going back and forth across your screen and all you had to do was click on it.. that would be optimal for FPS. Try to get as close to that as possible with the options the programmers have awarded you with :)

Hope this rambling helps

Edited by Wentz

I was going to post something on the powder bit you mentioned Wentz but.... I got a new mouse pad and the thing is plastic, I like it but my wrist starts to stick to it after playing a few minutes. I went to the bath to get some baby powder but we didn't have any, just some feminine powder stuff. :erm: So I tried it anyway. Works like a charm and better then smelling like a baby bottom. I'm going to repackage it and sell it a Pro Gamer Powder 2000.

I like my mx518. Eight buttons is great. I have center button config between shocker and flak cannon using my ini file. Some problems when I have grenade launcher as mentioned in post above. If you ever see me using grenade launcher against a person, it is because I have called up flak and don't have one. These are my two favorites for short and long range needs. I have all main weapons available on mouse using Logitech mouse setpoint software. LG and spider on nostromo. I have two sensitivities on mouse when using weapons. I have 600 dpi for normal game and 450 for sniping. I did tend to fall off mousepad until I got a 12x18" mouspad. I got the nostromo because I could not call up weapons fast enough. Searching with mouse wheel took forever and I tended to die. Taking fingers off movement keys to use number for weapon selection resulted in headshots to me.

I even have nostromo button to change view in vehicles from inside to outside. I like to fly raptor to see orientation from above of my angle of motion and attack. When attacking ground targets like Bushwack, he always runs under my raptor making me loose visual. You could scroll to be inside Raptor but too long. It is too long since Bushwack will be shocking the hell out of you while moving under your raptor. Button puts me in fast with larger view of target with no visual blocks. Also works with tanks when you want to snipe and get that extra close view. This changing position also simulates a change field of view in vehicles. Reminds me of going from 97 degrees to 85 degrees. Get larger target to shoot at but loose peripheral view. You can modify your ini file to do this to a more accesible button but you will have to ask Dark.

Good post wentz...

Thanks for input.

I use a space heater when playing, sometimes even in summer. I've got a bit of arthritis setting in and it helps keep things moving.

As far as talc (baby poweder) I don't know about that...eventually it may find its way into the optics of your mouse. There is a really cool liquid that you can use to lubricate your mousepad and when it dries, it is like a teflon coating. http://www.xoxide.com/fuanli.html...they also make teflon pads for mouse feet. A bit of nose grease doesn't hurt either... :freak3:

MP...you gave me a spanking the other night on Nep...you were playing very well...so something must be working...

I am gonna fool some more with settings and let people know.

FK...where are ya!?