Mapcycle

mookie

The mapcycles're maybe getting a bit ripe. If you have any ridiculous suggestions for maps that should go onto the cycles, post them up. Sensible suggestions are also welcome.

Rules:

"rollthedice" isn't a map.

• 2 weeks later...

As did, I liked it a lot.

I sometimes wonder too if sprinkling a custom map here or there and slowly phasing it into the rotation wouldn't be a bad idea. In my opinion, it's very easier for the rotation to get old when you're only play 3 or 4 maps, and even 5-8 maps can get old. But then again, some people have no problem with playing iceworld 24/7.

Guest ash
Guest ash
Guest ash
Guests
(edited)

de_rush

de_nightfever

cs_kismayo

fy_iceworld

Edited by ash

vote add: de_nightfever

vote add: as_oilrig

vote add: de_3rdstreet

vote remove: de_cpl_mill

vote add custom: cs_yemen <-- I loved this map in 1.6, can we try this for a custom map night?

i second your votes but whats wrong with cpl_mill? i think thats a nicely balanced map

and does anybody remeber the map cs_miami cause that was a wicked map

i second your votes but whats wrong with cpl_mill? i think thats a nicely balanced map

stock maps

de_cbble: I like this map, when I don't have to play it over and over.

de_dust2: indifferent, pulls in people

cs_italy: love/hate, pulls in people

cs_office: same as cbble

de_piranesi: same as cbble

de_train: like the map/kills the server

custom maps

de_contra: I like this map.

de_cpl_fire: I love this map

de_cpl_mill: It feels sensitive to team stacking on the CT side, I probably just suck though.

de_losttemple_pro: fun map -- can lower server population a bit though

de_russka: doesn't come up enough for me to really know ... the few times I have played, it killed the server -- but the server was only at about half anyway

de_season: Makes me feel like a target -- starting to like

One thing I really hate about certain maps is that when the defending team, e.g. Ts on CS maps and CTs on DE maps, can just sit with their crosshairs over one tiny little space and wait for heads to appear, as opposed to having to defend multiple points of attack. Maps like Piranesi are great because there are so many points of attack, that the map doesn't suffer from that as much. Ts have 7 routes in de_season, and if I could learn how to play them I'm sure I'd start liking it. cpl_mill has 3 main routes, and 2 tunnel routes. Most of the times I play the T team isn't coordinated enough to make effective use of flanking and so I feel like I'm just waiting for my head to appear over some CT's cursor so I can die.

Something has really disappointed me about the evolution of counter-strike. You can see it evident in the very maps Bewildered just suggested.

What am I talking about? The reduction of multiple objectives. In the original counter-strike there were four official map types, cs, de, as and es. While es I have never actually played on a server, though I had played a couple maps and also made one myself. Es therefore seems to have died first. I have also made an as map, and it was also quite popular on the server it was hosted on. as_tundra and as_oilrig were also two great as maps. But as is no longer an official or supported objective in CSS. And now even hostage rescue maps seem to be losing popularity.

Just look at the make up of maps suggested above. 10 of 12 maps are demolition! That statistic alone is ridiculous.

My thoughts are that CSS is devolving, instead of being a team-based objective orientated game, it has focused more and more on the deathmatch aspect. Just look at the recent developments such as Gun Game, Zombie Mod, and hey, Deathmatch mod. These mods just support my theory.

This is lame! Can we not rally support for semi-intelligent and cohesive gameplay once again? Something must be done!

Edited by Assassinator

GC Alumni

It's unfortunate but true. A lot of players don't really tolerate counter-strike maps and like to only play defuse maps. Probably as a result, most of the more skilled mappers work on defuse maps, and so there's a scarcity of good counter-strike maps. There is a mod for assassination that's running on Retrocedence, but there are only about a dozen maps in all, and only a couple that are worth playing. Even the good ones are visually on par with the better custom maps that were being done two years ago (low-detail and/or excessive junk strewn around adding nothing). If you're starting a mapping project, think about trying an assassination; assuming you finish it and it runs well it'll automatically be in the top 20 or so assassinations for months to come.

There are some good custom counter-strike maps out there, but the trend is that very few mappers are producing good maps, and many of them are making maps with league play aspirations.

Kismayo, Haste, Siena, Galleria, Symphony, Thunder, Twilight, and Business are a few very decent counter-strike maps. Kismayo, Siena, and Twilight (as Pariah) have seen more success after being converted as defuse maps. Haste, Galleria, and Thunder have the look of late-2005 maps. Symphony and Business look good and play well, but a quick look on game-monitor found me only one server playing each. For the most part, I can't see any custom counter-strike map currently on more than three servers that isn't a remake of Assault.

Something has really disappointed me about the evolution of counter-strike. You can see it evident in the very maps Bewildered just suggested.

Just look at the make up of maps suggested above. 10 of 12 maps are demolition! That statistic alone is ridiculous.

Just one point of clarification. Those 12 maps were not my suggestions, they are part of our current map cycle. When I think about how we might change our map cycle, I think about switching out custom maps. Getting rid of stock maps seems more risky considering that we think they bring in people. If we wanted to remove a stock map, I think train would not make much difference. I think I have yet to see the server stay @ full when it switches to train.

Honestly, if I thought it would go anywhere, I'd suggest havana, backalley, or seige; but it won't go anywhere.

Now, back in the 1.6 days, the map cycle for the server I played on changed every couple of weeks. Some of those were popular maps that were switched out for other popular maps to keep the cycle fresh. A few maps were up for vote in the forums; like, vote for your favorites and the top two will be in the next map cycle.

GC Alumni
Honestly, if I thought it would go anywhere, I'd suggest havana, backalley, or seige; but it won't go anywhere.

Havana has little to no chance. The walls move, it's like some kind of magical labyrinth.

If you have any ridiculous suggestions

Is this the type of rediculous suggestion you're looking for? Stock maps we currently play are bolded. Custom maps we currently play are in regular text. Maps we do not currently play are in italics.

prime 4pm-10pm

de_dust2

cs_backalley_source

de_losttemple_pro

cs_office

de_nightfever

as_oilrig

de_cbble

de_rush

cs_italy

fy_iceworld

de_piranesi

cs_haste

de_cpl_fire

de_torn

de_dust2 (repeat)

de_3rdstreet

de_season

cs_kismayo

de_cbble (repeat)

cs_thunder

de_cpl_mill

cs_italy (repeat)

GC Alumni

It's unlikely that we'll repeat maps on a cycle. When Mani needs to decide the next map, it'll scan through the mapcycle and find the last occurrence of the current map, then use the map after that, so e.g. after de_dust2 it would always be going to de_3rdstreet in the cycle you've got. Odd behaviour, but that's just the way it works. Right now I'm loading cs_backalley2, cs_thunder2006, and cs_yemen_source. Thunder is known and has been played before on Mayhem (not on rotation), but Back Alley and Yemen haven't and obviously can't go onto the rotation without being tried out first. I'm going to have to disagree with you on Torn; it's large and convoluted, and players have a hard time finding their way around. It had some play on Mayhem as well, and never really stood out.

GC Alumni
I'm going to have to disagree with you on Torn; it's large and convoluted, and players have a hard time finding their way around.

I must be remembering a different map. Maybe I'll have to install 1.6 and take a look around.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/12958

The only Torn I've seen is the final of this one. IMO the map design is just overly large and complex.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on Torn; it's large and convoluted, and players have a hard time finding their way around.

I must be remembering a different map. Maybe I'll have to install 1.6 and take a look around.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/12958

The only Torn I've seen is the final of this one. IMO the map design is just overly large and complex.

I found a picture of a map overview -- and you're right. It is the one I was thinking of, and it is quite complicated. Oh well, I'll keep my fond memories in my head

:D

CS 1.6 torn map overview

So what is the cycle as of tonight? I saw a bunch of new maps, such as beroth_beta. :freak3:

Assassinator said:

"My thoughts are that CSS is devolving, instead of being a team-based objective orientated game, it has focused more and more on the deathmatch aspect. Just look at the recent developments such as Gun Game, Zombie Mod, and hey, Deathmatch mod. These mods just support my theory."

Well, quite literally, the original source of Counter-Strike was based off of the original Quake engine. Whether Valve wants to acknowledge it or not, its true. And what was Quake but the biggest multiplayer deathmatch game of all time? Its not really devolving, just reverting back to the old standards. :stretch:

GC Alumni
such as beroth_beta.
the original source of Counter-Strike was based off of the original Quake engine.

Beroth was made by a well-known Quake mapper, and as such you might find that it flows a lot like a deathmatch map.

So what is the cycle as of tonight? I saw a bunch of new maps, such as beroth_beta. :freak3:

Assassinator said:

"My thoughts are that CSS is devolving, instead of being a team-based objective orientated game, it has focused more and more on the deathmatch aspect. Just look at the recent developments such as Gun Game, Zombie Mod, and hey, Deathmatch mod. These mods just support my theory."

Well, quite literally, the original source of Counter-Strike was based off of the original Quake engine. Whether Valve wants to acknowledge it or not, its true. And what was Quake but the biggest multiplayer deathmatch game of all time? Its not really devolving, just reverting back to the old standards. :stretch:

Not to flame or anything, but you technically just proved my point instead of refuting it.

Think about it this way, comparing it to human evolution. Quake can equate to Homo Erectus and Half-Life can equate to say Homo Sapien in this way yes Half-Life is based on Quake, but it is, in fact, a new species, or a new game. Just because you use the same base engine doesn't mean your game has to be the same!!!

Maybe this was a bit too confusing, but I am sure you can still see how "reverting to old standards" is actually devolving.

But really this is just an argument over technical terms, whether you call it devolution or reverting, it results in the same thing, and that is simplified gameplay. Counter-Strike was clearly not designed to be another Quake, and it should not become that way. This is my thesis.

Edited by Assassinator