Can someone help me?

I just installed a new video card and started up CS... and my fps is like 5. New card is a 9800pro, old card was a junky nvidia from 4 years ago. Old fps was like 60. Output is at about 8 instead of 50ish when I connect to servers. I have tried all different settings ingame, including even lower settings than I was running. What in the world could be causing such horrid performance? Any ideas? I am rather simple when it comes to these things.

Sounds like bad drivers. Use Driver Cleaner to remove old NVIDIA and ATI drivers. Then reinstall latest ATI drivers. Hopefully that will clear things up.

To be more specific, download the free version of drivercleaner from drivercleaner.net

Uninstall all of your current video drivers.

Reboot into safe mode. Use driver cleaner to clean up all of the nvidia and ati drivers.

Reboot again into normal mode. Install the latest ATI drivers.

Make sure source settings are not jacked up to high since source likes to enable 4xAA and all of that jaz when your card prob can't handle it.

(edited)

and don't use dx8.1. you have a dx9 card. why anyone would use 8.1 with a 9 card is beyond me as in my testing with an x550 it barely affected performance and if anything, it was worse.

when source came out i had a 9800pro. i thought i'd need to upgrade my card cause performance wasn't all that good. i upgraded to 1gb and that fixed all my performance issues. at the time i also had an amd xp 3200+ and source ran really nicely on that combo.

Edited by Cujo

Could a shortage of RAM cause these issues? Even if things ran fine with the old card with the same ram?

if you have 1gb you should be fine. certainly, too little ram won't make your fps 5. too little ram would give you hitching when you go around corners and lots of hdd access while already in game.

Could a shortage of RAM cause these issues? Even if things ran fine with the old card with the same ram?

From what you are saying, you went from an Nvidia card that gave you decent fps and went to an ATi card on the same system, nothing else changed, and barely get 5 fps. I would blame this on the driver issues stated above. You should not just swap out cards without a windows reinstall (or the driver cleaner method above).

But yes, RAM makes a big difference with fps on source. The game is a very large CPU intensive game as well as RAM. What I've noticed since my CPU upgrade is that a grenade in the market of Italy no longer drops my fps down to 20 fps. It only dips a few fps (from like 200 to 180). BUT those with dual core AMD should see a huge improvement when the game goes multi threaded in a few months.

Yeah ok I am going to do the driver cleaner thing. Couple of questions... the website for the drivercleaner.net does not seem to have a free version on it, is it worth the 10 bucks or should I just dl some similar thing of the internet that is free? Also, I do not seem to have access in my control panels to any of the old Nvidia driver stuff, did it get deleted with the new drivers or do I have to manually uninstall it somehow before I do the driver cleaner? I can easily get rid of the ATI stuff I just dl'd a few days ago. Could there be any simple system setting that could be screwy that needs to be changed for the new card to work properly? I have a dell btw dudes. Going to buy another gig stick of RAM to see if it helps... couldn't hurt.

Sorry for all the questions.

Have you considred the fact that you have a bad graphics card? I'm assuming it's used?...Perhaps you fragged it while putting it in.

If you tried to install an ATI without first removing drivers for NVidia...you may have done irreparable damage to windows.

I would backup all data and do clean windows install.

I would also break down and spend $100 on a lower end 7000 series NVidia or something...even they are better than a 9800 pro.

fresh install would have been my suggestion from the first hint of a problem. if on a fresh install you still have the problems then you just have a bad card.

A fresh install of window? I will try that tonight... thanks for all the advice folks.