Cool 360 Add-on

boiler

Neat. Are the dongle thingies really a problem, though?

Also, do these things really help cooling? It seems that two fans right next to each other running at different speeds might actually reduce effective airflow, but I'm far from an airflowologist (airflowographist?) so I defer to those who may know more.

Yeah it looks useful but I will never ever put anything on my 360 that sucks power (other than small USB devices like wired controllers)

It can't suck much power to run those two small fans. I think the ginormous power brick the 360 is running on can handle it.

From what they mentioned, it seems the cooling effect is decent, but obviously not quite as much as the Nyko Intercooler EX or whatever it is. That thing is crazy loud though with those little fans spinning really fast.

As far as the cables are concerned, you get the component/composite cables with the premium system (wireless controller and hard drive), but not the core system I believe. Also the VGA cables are separate, and I believe more expensive than this add-on is just by themselves. I don't think I will be buying this because I don't have the need atm, but I'm guessing it will sell pretty well since it allows all those connections on the back for easy travel-and-game solutions.

As far as the cables are concerned, you get the component/composite cables with the premium system (wireless controller and hard drive), but not the core system I believe. Also the VGA cables are separate, and I believe more expensive than this add-on is just by themselves. I don't think I will be buying this because I don't have the need atm, but I'm guessing it will sell pretty well since it allows all those connections on the back for easy travel-and-game solutions.

Ahh. That makes sense for core system people then, or people who use the VGA cable. Does anyone in the community here use the VGA cable, or know someone who does, out of curiosity? What's it hooked up to, and how does it look?

It's pretty neat to have everything broken out, I worry that the connector on the board will be damaged one day because there's no strain relief and the sonoragun is pretty heavy. I'm not sure it would really be better, but it's a neat idea.

Edited by appalachian_fox

Last I heard of product like this, it can fry your PSU in the back and poof dead 360.

that was the original nyko intercooler, and the problem was it connected through the power supply connector, but it wasn't a good connection and the cooler would short circuit, fuse to the xbox, and you were dead in the water. This one wouldn't have that problem because it leaves your power supply plug alone :)

I use the VGA cables on my 32" LCD and it looks great, they allow you to use the native resolution of your monitor

Out of curiosity, is there an advantage to using, say, a computer monitor if you have an HDTV hooked in through component cables?

It depends...I'm not sure if I understand your question though. Do you mean is there a big enough difference between using VGA cables on a PC monitor over component cables on a HDTV? Why not use the VGA cables on your HDTV? If you have a wide screen PC monitor then you can take advantage of generally higher resolutions (but unless your PC monitor does 1920x1200 your HDTV will be more or less the same resolution regardless...unless you have a 1080p TV).

I use the VGA cables on my 32" LCD and it looks great, they allow you to use the native resolution of your monitor

Out of curiosity, is there an advantage to using, say, a computer monitor if you have an HDTV hooked in through component cables?

It depends...I'm not sure if I understand your question though. Do you mean is there a big enough difference between using VGA cables on a PC monitor over component cables on a HDTV? Why not use the VGA cables on your HDTV? If you have a wide screen PC monitor then you can take advantage of generally higher resolutions (but unless your PC monitor does 1920x1200 your HDTV will be more or less the same resolution regardless...unless you have a 1080p TV).

I have a 1080i TV and my understanding is most of the content the XBox puts out is 720p anyway. It seems in my case that I wouldn't gain anything by buying a PC monitor and using the VGA cables, then.

My son has just the fan version of that for his. Does not have all the extra stuff on it. Even just the fan makes a huge difference in cooling for that thing. You can get the fan for about $20 anywhere.