Microphone Issue

Yesterday I bought a basic $20.00 G.E. Headset + Microphone both of which just plug into the standard 3.5mm jack in the back of my box. I did the basic windows mic checks and it worked out fine but I open up CS:S and suddenly I can't get any input at all. I run the mic test in game nothing happens. I got no voice output in game. Nothing. I can't figure out what the deal is and now I come to you the people of the GC forums for help

(edited)
Check console to see if there are any errors with the voice chat, and make sure you've got the right line selected in the volume control.

Sounds like a great idea but I have no idea how to do that. When it comes to most computer stuff I'm a complete novice

Edited by Ringadon

check your control panel -> audio devices and make sure that recording device is set to your (correct) sound card and that "use only preferred devices" is chosen (or try unselected too)

and restart steam b/w changes just to make sure

/just a thought

Well I figured out the problem but I can't figure out a good solution. Every time I load a map or join a server my mic input switches from rear mic to microphone. I can then alt tab out of CS:S and switch it back and my mic'll work fine. Is there a way that I can keep that auto switch from happening?

Weeeeelllll....

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem. It's all fixed now, and to think I never even saw that front port until just a couple of minutes ago. Man am I unobservant. Thanks again.

If an admin can lock this topic or delete it that would be just fine

Nah, we wouldn't want to delete the thread, we just like to read it and smile. GC peeps help another friend. Welcome to the forums Ring (if you hadn't received a proper welcome before) and feel free to browse around. Tons of interesting stuff here, and most of the people here don't bite.... much. ;)