Moving Steam

Laz.e.rus

Anyone know if you can install steam ( entire valve folder) to anywhere but C:?

I have a 30 gig C partition, and a 125 gig E Partition.

Seemed fine at the time, but Ive been running into more and more software that HAS to be on C.

THe C partition is up to 20 of the 30 gigs. And Valve is taking 10.1 of it!

If I caould move that to E:/program files, where most of my progs are, that would be awesome.

(edited)

yeah. copy EVERYTHING starting in the "yourname@email.com" folder. Install steam in your F:\ and then paste the folder back inside "steamapps." Keep in mind that steam will make you redownload the games, but they should start at around 80% complete.

Edited by YoMamma

The link in the other thread still seems to be good; you have to scroll down about a screen to get to the download link on that page. I think the installer was pretty much automatic. To move a directory somewhere and then put a soft link to it is pretty much two steps ((1) move, (2) put a soft link).

As an example, moving the screenshots directory to make it less clicking to find my /screenshots on disk.

/cstrike on left, where I want to put /screenshots is on the right (happens to be d:/cstrike).

20070725a.gif

Moving /screenshots over. These both happen to be on the same partition, but you will want to hold down shift to save yourself having to delete the old folder.

20070725b.gif

Right-click on /screenshots and drag it back over, popping up a menu for what you want to do. "Junction" is an MS codeword for a soft link.

20070725c.gif

Ta-da! There's now a pseudo-directory here, which the filesystem will know to redirect over there. When HL2 looks for /screenshots, NTFS will just follow the link and HL2 is none the wiser.

20070725d.gif

You should be able to use this to ship out chunks of any program's files that you want onto your larger partition with a few clicks. If you need to undo it, all you do is delete the "fake" folder and copy/move the data back. As far as your programs know, all their data will still be where they thought it was.

• 4 months later...

uh oh

Mookie:

jsut did this.

I shift-left-drag SteamApps from

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\

to

H:\cstrike\

It moved it no problem

Rt-drag back to original.

It opened the menu-I selected Junction

It created "Link to SteamApps" folder instead of what you have in your picture #4. Being a folder of the exact same name with the green arrow in the folder pic.

So, insted of "SteamApps" with a green arrow/folder icon in C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ , I have "Link to SteamApps" with a standard folder icon.

Now it wont let me start steam. ANd when I do, it creates a new folder called "SteamApps" in C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ that is totally empty.

If I rename "Link to SteamApps" to "SteamApps", will that do it? I couldnt even find an image anywhere of the folder with the green arrow that you have.

Update: Resolved

Renaming the "Link to SteamApps" folder into "SteamApps" did the trick. Steam jsut didnt find the correct folder name so created the new one and wouldve tried to download it all and refill it I supposed if I was connected to the net at the time.

Still no cool Green-arrowed icon for me tho :(

But, I jsut freed up 10.2 gigs from my C partition and placed it in my 235 free gigs on the H drive. Yay!!!

Thx for the help guys.

I did this yesterday.

The key is, make sure the compy (or HDD) you have it on currently has latest updates.

Then, on your new compy or HDD, install steam...but no games.

Then, move all the steam data to new location. I moved all of the HL2 stuff (13 GB) by copy and paste...

It worked great.

Changing the name of the file worked. I didnt have to reinstall anything.

1-Leftclick+shift then drag rt

2- (wait a while) then Rt-click and drag back left.

3- select "Junction" from resulting popup menu.

4- rename "Link to SteamApps" to "SteamApps"

5-play games with an xtra 10 gigs freed from my primary partition!

Edit: Resolved.

Reinstalled and updated avg, set everything to default and re-ran. Its working now. Dunno why, but I wont look a gift horse in the mouth!

Uh Oh!

AVG anti virus ran this morning as always.

Today it only ran for 13 seconds. It got reading errors because it couldnt open any of the system files.

Then it got a "cannot open/did not scan" for all of drives c,e,and h.

Basically, it couldnt scan anything at all.

I have no idea how this new program could cause that, but that is the only thing Ive changed since it ran yesterday... Im running the ntfslink software, and I have the one junction set up from c to h.

Any ideas?

Heres all the AVG FAQs had to say about it....I guess I can see how if the ntfslink is memory resident, it "could" look like its using ...well ... everything..I jsut dunno..

"640:

Test result reports: Cannot open, not checked

Some files cannot be opened for checking because they are being permanently used by the Windows operating system or some running application. It's not possible to infect them by a virus as well as to check them. "

• 7 months later...

Help!

Today I :

1- DLd the bioshock demo off steam

2- Updated my sound drivers

3- restarted my PC

Now, NTFS link no longer works all of a sudden. Meaning, Steam thinks I have no games at all. I can't just move the file back to C:/ as there isnt even enough room.

I tried re-running NTFS link. It just suddenly no longer works, no options to make a new link, etc.

I got a bunch of windows updates last night too. Hmmmm.

Maybe try removing the games you don't play. Other than that if the stuff above will not function then I suggest a reinstall of the whole PC, STEAM and everything and make the C: drive the larger of the two. I don't know man.

the best way to do it is to copy the entire directory un-install the previous one, re-install the basic steam app to the new location and then copy your steamapps folder over to the fresh install and u should be good to go, i just did it and it worked like a charm :)