new laptop

Guys,

I'm looking at a new laptop and need some cpu advice?

The different options are

amd x2 64 running xp home with 1 gig 533.00

intel core duo t2080 599.00

intel core 2 duo (dell) 699.00

I need to know which is adequate for video editing.

I always heard core 2 was best for video but I know nothing of these amd's or the t2080?

I can't find much on bench's either to compare.

Can anyone advise?

Aug

I've done quite a bit of video editing on a laptop - it's really not that bad as long as you get enough juice and aren't trying to do a ton of effects at once.

Definitely go with the core 2 duo (dell), and be sure to get 2GB of ram (especially if the laptop will have vista on it). If you can swing it, go for a 7200rpm hard drive as well, that would help maximize your performance ability for the video editing.

I have a 17" dell laptop, and I absolutely love the size of the screen for anything design related. video editing programs and photoshop-type programs are so much easier to use when you have all that workspace. The 2GB of ram are good as well. That 6-cell battery will last you about 45-70 minutes if left unplugged, though. I also haven't done any video editing on Vista yet, but I don't think that it would be a problem. RAM usage might be somewhat of a concern, but I do a lot of photoshopping, etc on my vista laptop and it doesn't seem slower than it did on XP.

I would not have any problems going with the 17" one, my only real concerns are battery life (my 9 cell battery lasts a little over 2 hours unplugged, but my 17" has a little more juice than that one you're looking at), and whether or not the size will be an issue for you.

If you're going to be using this thing 90% of the time plugged in at a desk, then the 17" would be a good choice. It's a beast though and fairly heavy - I haul mine to and from work with me every day - so if you're looking to haul it around a lot and work unplugged then stick with the 15" one. Even on the 15" one, if you can spring for 2GB of ram you would not regret it.

GLHF

You'll have to check, but I think that rating you're looking at is 56 Watt-hours or something. Very different.

You'll be much happier with that 9-cell.

Don't forget - do NOT skimp on the lcd, get the high-res screen. You will regret going with the WXGA when you try to do any design/video editing on it. WSXGA+ ftw.