Need help selling my car...

ZesteR

Hey guys,

I have been trying to sell my Audi TT since mid summer. I haven't had one person actually look at it and drive it. I have had ppl call and email me. I have it on cars.com, and I kelly blue booked it recently and made sure I was in the right price range.

I understand there is a small market for these cars, but I NEED to sell it.

It needs at least two tires (performance). And I cannot afford the car, b/c I need to pay for college and have plans for my money.

For Kelly Blue book

The private selling price is at $10799

And the trade-in value is $8300.

I have a loan on it, and I owe around 10K. If I sell it, I will get out of my hole happy and begin to save.

If I trade it in, (am I able to b/c of the loan?) I will def. lose out some $, but that's understand able b/c I will in return get a car.

I'm looking for a point A to point B car. good gas mileage and low mileage on the engine. (Of course, something nice is out of the question, b/c I will have to pay out of my own pocket for the loan)

Help... what should I do? I want to sell it b4 winter, but i don't know if I can.

Thanks,

Zester

If you're thinking about trading it (and trade value is $8,300 assuming the condition is as you'd expect), you're better off dropping the price to $9,995 or something and try and drum up some interest for a couple of weeks. (I didn't spend much time on cars.com, but if it's on at just over 10K it's not going to show up to someone who has a tight budget of only 10K and restricts their search based on that even though you'd be happy to get that for it).

I just lowered it today to 10799, so I will give that a few days, see if there is a difference in my views per day and if nothing for a week, I will lower it.

Thanks for the intel.

I just wish I could get rid of it b4 the winter.

Lev. you better not be saying this b/c u want to buy it ;) haha.

-as a friend from gc, i would not want u to anyways.

Well, I just got a call on it today, I will be showing it tonight, but won't be online until tomorrow afternoon to post up how it went.

I am at work, then going to my parents to clean up the car a bit, lol.

wish me luck!

The guy and his father seemed very interested in it and was happy there was one that was locate and not at a dealership

He said to give him a few days to think about it and he'll call me back.

Right now I'm holding my ground on the price, if he brings up the tires, I will think about lowering it a few, but depends on what they offer.

nice job on the sale.

I could have hooked you up with a 2000 honda civic, 78k miles on it. I sold it for $5900. Private party blue book was at least $6,500.

Your never gonna sell for bluebook value. Be lucky if you will find someone willing to pay trade in value. I've been wheelin and dealin cars for the past 3 years.

Bought a 2000 civic for $5300 had it for a few months and sold it for $5900.

bought a Wrangler with 2k miles on it for $12500, sold it for $11000, at 20k miles and a year and a half later

bought a 2005 ninja with 20 miles on it for $4500, sold it a year later with 2k miles for $5800.

Now I got a 2003 Tacoma that I paid 8k for and Im done messing with cars. Maybe one day I'll upgrade and get a 4 wheel drive tacoma, but Im done for now

(edited)

well, I made a huge mistake.

I hope to not get lectured here, I know I will hear it later from other ppl.

I owe 11500 on the loan. now that is my min.

I changed my cars.com ad, and other ads to adjust.

I spoke with the son and he seemed not interested, but i'm sure they are playin a game or think I'm trying to pull a fast one. We will see.

wish me luck :\

edit:

I'm sad, I cannot win with this car.

Edited by ZesteR

(edited)

no lecture, but just make sure you know "exactly" what your doing in the future. This lesson learned can be applied to many other decisions in life other than just selling a car. What is irritating to the buyers is that they have just wasted alot of their time and possibly turned down a deal elsewhere. Post on autotrader, I've sold 2 cars there. I have also got more hits from Craiglist than anywhere else. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it is going to be impossible to get 11,500 for your car if it only bluebook for 10,799. It may happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by NOFX

No lecture, but I'm guessing you've gone back asking for another 1K.

I second NOFX, Craigslist is a great resource and used by a surprising number of people.

Also, before you walk away from a possible sale, think about how much it'll cost you to have the car for another month or two, it's only going to drop in value and is it going to cost you 1K including insurance over that time frame if it doesn't sell? It may be better to take the money and run.

You're "upside-down" with the car loan right now (you owe more than its worth). Financially, you're better off holding the car as long as possible.

The good news is that you're only $1k upside-down if you sell it. So if you buy another car, you're just tacking another $1000 on top of the price of that car. So if you find a car for $6k, you'll need a loan for $7k.

Have you tried working out the numbers? Look at your car payment now. Then look at a car you'd realistically buy, and add another $1k to that price. Then see what your payments would be before/after. Is it worth it to you?

Right now, I am reselling the car for 11500. I have to inorder to not become negative.

I am holding onto the car and keeping it at the price for now.

I am unsure of what to buy as another car. I have to do some thinking on that one.