Mic problems in Vista

Unclean

In another thread, Cujo asked why I didn't post this problem I have been having. Who knows? Here it is though:

My microphone doesn't work consistently in Vista Business 64 bit. With no setting changes, 98% of the time it does not record anything, 1% of the time it will just record a series of clicking noises, and the other 1% it sounds perfect. I can record something through soundrecorder.exe 10 times and have 3 different behaviors (clicking vs silence vs voice).

System:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

8800GTX

4GB RAM

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music

Seinhesser (sp?) Headphones w/built-in mic

What I know:

1. The mic worked with the same card on another computer running Windows XP

2. The mic can record in "playback" mode (where the sound going into the mic is output to the speakers)

3. The latest available drivers from Creative are being used

4. There are no conflicts with the sound card in the Device Mangler

5. All other sounds come through perfectly

6. "Microphone" is selected, but I tried "Line In" as well

7. This behavior is reflected in all 3 modes (Game, Audio Creation, and Entertainment)

8. I read there's a problem with the drivers and 4GB of RAM, and I have not tried removing 2GB of RAM yet. But quite frankly, I don't want to run Vista on only 2GB of RAM.

If any of you can figure this out, my hat's off to you. And inside of that hat is a giant cupcake. For you.

try the older drivers from back in march or so. they solved my issues with the mic. mine was working but i had random static. maybe they'll fix yours.

the driver you want is: SBXF_PCDVT_LB_2_13_0012.exe

Should I just uninstall the old ones? Use a driver cleaner of some kind? Something else?

ya, uninstall the new ones and install the old ones. if that doesn't work than re-install the new ones and then install the old ones over.

Well, I downloaded the drivers from March, uninstalled the current ones, and installed the March ones. After about 30 minutes of fiddling around with settings, I somehow got the mic to work. Louder noises make this weird digital reverb noise (like the scene from The Matrix where the silver stuff goes down Neo's throat), but that's a lot better than reformatting and downgrading to XP!

Thanks guys!

Well, I downloaded the drivers from March, uninstalled the current ones, and installed the March ones. After about 30 minutes of fiddling around with settings, I somehow got the mic to work. Louder noises make this weird digital reverb noise (like the scene from The Matrix where the silver stuff goes down Neo's throat), but that's a lot better than reformatting and downgrading to XP!

Thanks guys!

I'd make sure you have no eax enviroment fx enabled...

I'm positive this is Creative's sound cards not liking 4gigs with Vista. It's a known issue.

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/bo...essage.id=24495

Alas, I wish it worked. But as Dark already said, it didn't work. We were talking on Xfire last night when I tried it.

On a side note, I was surprised at the performance difference between 2 and 4GB of RAM in Vista. It's VERY noticeable.

LOL

have you tried a fresh install with the latest drivers? perhaps you just have a buggy sound card. what has creative tech support said? i'm assuming you've had this less than a year and are still under warranty. (i'm assuming creative warranty is 1 yr...)

This is a fresh install, and the soundcard worked on my old computer. The card is about 1.5 years old. I suppose it's possible that the card stopped working properly at that moment I installed it in the new computer, but very unlikely.