Mic problems in Vista

Unclean

Yeah, I've searched everywhere in there that I could find. Lots of people saying things like "downgrade from 4GB to 2GB", "go with the March drivers", "don't use Vista 64bit"... a few extreme options like using hacked beta drivers from some random German site. But at that point, I'd just as soon put XP on and be done with it. The purties are nice, but talking about purties with the mic is better. :)

use motherboard sound and tell creative to give you your money back :)

I bought an x-fi xtreme gamer card a while ago, and returned it a week later due to various issues.

Teh purties + working mic = WIN

insolent x-fi card is an acceptable loss imo :)

somehow I managed to survive all these years without a separate soundcard..... I guess I should be wondering how I managed to do it all these years :shrug03:

Maybe by the time I can afford to have a gaming computer again they will have the whole Vista/soundcard thing ironed out for when I build the beast.

It's just Vista/Creative (as far as I know).

And stop using onboard sound as soon as you can. You'll be able to hear much more across the map (like if someone picks up a weapon, steps on a creaky floor, jumps in a vehicle, etc). It's a subtle difference at first, but it's huge as you start to notice the difference.

(edited)

If you can figure out how to put an x-fi sound card into my laptop, then I'd have no problem getting away from onboard sound :D

external stuff isn't an option, this thing goes everywhere with me!

Edited by boilersax

If you can figure out how to put an x-fi sound card into my laptop, then I'd have no problem getting away from onboard sound :D

external stuff isn't an option, this thing goes everywhere with me!

i'm pretty sure you can get a x-fi pcmcia card now...

What are some soundcards available with X-fi quality sound and Vista 64 bit compatibility?

asus has one out. that's all i know of. all the other good ones are based on x-fi or some inferior chip.

my x-fi platinum is working just fine in vista 64... either your card is bad or you've got some random in compatibility that i don't have. do you have the latest motherboard bios?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm SO checking that out today. Thanks!

And btw, I'm using onboard sound and a crappy Walmart mic right now. Turns out that the microphone on my Senn 155's went out recently, but that wasn't the only problem. New mic works with onboard sound, not the Xfi.

update:

new drivers work a charm. css sounds much better. the sounds are more crisp and clear. no mic issues what-so-ever. music and tv shows sound the same.

it remains to be seen whether this will carry over to a fresh install but i sure hope so.

i installed these and the new nvidia drivers that came out yesterday and i couldn't be happier.