Issues

Penty

First and foremost, I am an Onslaught player, not a DM or CTF player. Everything I truly like about UT2K4 was contained in that game style.

UT3 looks great and brought back some nice death match features. Those are the only good things I can say about it.

Let's start at the beginning with the server browser.

1. There is no way to designate and browse favorite servers.

2. There is no way to designate and browse for friends online.

3. There is no way to connect to a specific IP by cut and paste.

Vehicles.

Based on what is available in the demo. The focus of everything has changed from being anti-vehicle to being anti-personal with some curious exceptions.

1.Scorpion With the removal of the sticky rope. It can no longer function as anti-manta.

2. Hellbender. With the change in the rear turret from a charge and fire to straight fire and the decrease in power it is no longer effective against vehicles unless they are slow.

3. Goliath. Splash damage range has be severely reduced. from playing the VCTF map you pretty much have to directly hit something in order to really damage it.

4. Manta. Is pretty much unchanged with the exception that it is now a bigger vehicle and easier to hit. Rumor has it that if you crouch it can't run you over but I have been unable to prove that.

5. Raptor. Seems unchanged.

6. SPMA. Seems to be slower, however with an increased range. Probably a reasonable trade off.

My biggest complaint with the vehicles is that they removed the scroll wheel zoom function and the first person view.

Have been unable to figure out "unrar the rars unpar the pars" so haven't played yet.

From what Penty mentioned with hellbender and other vehicle nerrage for ONS, a sniper like me won't be buying it either. Twin beams gone, lg gone, huge manta, limited tank spash damage. Do epic guys understanding build adding onto a game does not involve cutting pieces out?

True, it will look beautiful to play (from pictures and videos) but I can always go to a museum for beauty. I like to kill things from a distance period.

I like ONS and really only game I play.

Have been unable to figure out "unrar the rars unpar the pars" so haven't played yet.

From what Penty mentioned with hellbender and other vehicle nerrage for ONS, a sniper like me won't be buying it either. Twin beams gone, lg gone, huge manta, limited tank spash damage. Do epic guys understanding build adding onto a game does not involve cutting pieces out?

True, it will look beautiful to play (from pictures and videos) but I can always go to a museum for beauty. I like to kill things from a distance period.

I like ONS and really only game I play.

Pat - download 7zip (just google for it)

Install

Find the rar files.

Find the one that has the extention .rar (as opposed to .r01, .r02, etc)

Right click that .rar file, select 7zip, then extract to where ever

Done (or rather, go to the now extracted directory and install the demo)

FYI: Rar files are just another compression format similar to .zip files. 7zip is an even newer compression system, but it handles zips, rars, aces, and a bunch of other compressed formats.

The .par files are there for recovering errors in the compressed files. Check a wiki or something for that explanation - short answer is you don't need them.

-Fk

Let's start at the beginning with the server browser.

1. There is no way to designate and browse favorite servers.

2. There is no way to designate and browse for friends online.

3. There is no way to connect to a specific IP by cut and paste.

This all hinges on the beta demo being possibly a demo that is still a beta. That or gamespy. No disagreement there from I think anyone in the world.

Vehicles.

Based on what is available in the demo. The focus of everything has changed from being anti-vehicle to being anti-personal with some curious exceptions.

1.Scorpion With the removal of the sticky rope. It can no longer function as anti-manta.

Agreed. As much as few people actually wanted to use it. It had a very good purpose and I find I miss it.

2. Hellbender. With the change in the rear turret from a charge and fire to straight fire and the decrease in power it is no longer effective against vehicles unless they are slow.

I like the way it drives, I like the wicked fast sky mines but that twin beam. As much as I won't miss MP or Primus using them, it really does feel nerfed. It seems that against personnel it is one shot deadly - against vehicles it is merely a nuisance.

3. Goliath. Splash damage range has be severely reduced. from playing the VCTF map you pretty much have to directly hit something in order to really damage it.

We should test this in-server. I really can't get a feel for the splash at all. It does seem more accurate however and does handle better (and actually goes in reverse quite fast)

4. Manta. Is pretty much unchanged with the exception that it is now a bigger vehicle and easier to hit. Rumor has it that if you crouch it can't run you over but I have been unable to prove that.

The sound it makes has been reduced a lot - it has the potential to be very stealthy. We tested some things last night. No rides anywhere on it, which, actually, I miss. A lot. The supposed bloody gibbage one would get for stepping on the paddles is out. Enemy players can even jump on it and bounce off undamaged like the rest unless they get too close to the rear ailerons. The shots come out much faster but seem smaller in size - perhaps will get used to. Will have to test the crouch.

5. Raptor. Seems unchanged.

I wish. You bump into anything and the raptor will flail about for a few moments. Most annoying. Lock onto mantas seems stronger than before. I do not detect *any* lock onto other vehicles (aside from other raptors) - certainly does not missile lock tanks. Worst of all though - try going backwards. What's that? You go backwards at 1/4 speed? A goliath tank can go 2 to 3 times faster backwards than a raptor? Yep.

6. SPMA. Seems to be slower, however with an increased range. Probably a reasonable trade off.

Hated it before, still hateses it.

My biggest complaint with the vehicles is that they removed the scroll wheel zoom function and the first person view.

I rarely used first person view. Rumor has it they haven't rendered in-vehicle graphics/models (ala what you see of the interior of the hellbender, etc.) so that's why it ain't there. Still, aside from folks wanting it, try towing folks with a raptor or some of the other vehicles. You have no way of knowing how they are doing or if you are towing them to their doom...

For all the individual bits and tweaks I like, collectively I worry now; that and no warfare to see if it is just the maps...

We may be seeing the emergence of the same thing that happened with UT99 vs 2K3/4 folks in that the folks who loved the first game couldn't believe the changes in the second series. For those of use that really got into it with the vehicles, those vehicles are *our* UT99 and these changes may have us raging just like the old-timer DM'ers.

-Fk

It's a beta demo, there are going to be issues :P

Give it a chance guys.. the CTF map that came with the demo is a terrible map for tanks.. it's a big bottlenecking bridge with no elevated spot for the tank to sit, of course you are going to miss straight on shots from a mile away. Personally I like the new weapon on the scorpion, and dark displayed last night that you can take out mantas with it. Hellbender handles better, skymines are quick.. rear turret I'll admit is pretty useless. The menus, browser, buddies, etc will all be fixed when it's released.

This demo was < 800 MB compressed.. this thing was slapped together, and released primarily for feedback on hardware issues/bugs/concerns. I think it's a pretty good hint of what DM will be like, but CTF/Warfare is impossible to predict with no maps and missing vehicles.

(edited)

Don't jump the gun yet buddy. I agree with you on some things and not on others, such as:

1.Scorpion With the removal of the sticky rope. It can no longer function as anti-manta

Not true, I took out a raptor with the grenade balls in the scorpion. I drive around and launch the balls all over the place and they do considerable damage.

3. Goliath. Splash damage range has be severely reduced.

This I will agree with you on. The turret gun shoots faster but you are absolutely right on the splash damage, greatly reduced.

This too I agree with, as a mater of fact I am rather disapointed in the changes to the hellbender. The range of the beam is still there but definatley not as effective. I also feel the chock balls are slow and not as strong as b4.

As far as the manta thing I guess we can put that to the test when the server goes up. I'll be happy to crouch for ya to see if thats the case.

All in all, I really like it. I think the game plays great and the issues with some of the stuff is minor. I think this is going to be a great game. I also like the fact that, as for now I can keep up with alot of folks in DM and all around because it is a new game and we are kinda all on the same playing field ( KINDA ) :spin2:

Edited by Primus

(edited)
It's a beta demo, there are going to be issues :P

Give it a chance guys.. the CTF map that came with the demo is a terrible map for tanks.. it's a big bottlenecking bridge with no elevated spot for the tank to sit, of course you are going to miss straight on shots from a mile away. Personally I like the new weapon on the scorpion, and dark displayed last night that you can take out mantas with it. Hellbender handles better, skymines are quick.. rear turret I'll admit is pretty useless. The menus, browser, buddies, etc will all be fixed when it's released.

This demo was < 800 MB compressed.. this thing was slapped together, and released primarily for feedback on hardware issues/bugs/concerns. I think it's a pretty good hint of what DM will be like, but CTF/Warfare is impossible to predict with no maps and missing vehicles.

You have more faith in Epic then I do Wentz. As far as the scorpion goes, sure you can kill one with the energy balls, however try doing that when you are both going full speed. They just are not intended for the same function. What I wonder is why did they even mess with the vehicles. You could have improved the DM side of things with radically changing the other.

The UT2K4 demo was much more polished and targeted toward PC gamers. This feels like a a console port.

Edited by Penty

In software installation, I am kind of dumb

I did unzip with zip7 then I selected the rar files and extracted all of them further. I got demo installer then. Game is running but got to programmed nostromo to new input keys. Haven't had chance to check vehicles.

OK, My $2 (for inflation. That should make it $1.90 Canadian, right?)

Anyway -

The goliath is more agile. I like the faster backup. I think the splash damage *is* smaller, but can't really tell. Something we will need to check out I suppose.

Need to check the reload rate of the Goliath too.

I think there is a greater vertical turret traversal with the goliath - I believe that you can traverse higher when going after the annoying raptors. Again, something

that has to be checked and verified.

The Manta is stealthy. If you are standuing still there is zero noise (even from the driver's perspective). I used that to camp the flag in CTF last night and

mowed (Wentz I think) down when he came running through.

Raptor flight kinda sux. It would be nice to be able to do a straight first person and zoom the view as opposed to being able to see the inside of the

cockpit though. Ditto the first person for the other flyable vehicles.

Vehicles can get killed faster.

The deemer takes time for "setup" (well, when you get it anyway)

Oh yeah - you can kill things by shooting through fences, etc...

The Avril doesa allow you to fire and lock on to an umanned vehicle. Don't know if it does damage though.

Although the hoverboards allow one "tagalong" per vehicle, you can graopple on to a manta and have it fly you around the map. Neat way of moving fast.

Haven't played with the sky mines in the scorpion, but Dark was pwning me with those last night.

I think that is it so far. I'm working on determining what ports are required for full firewall functionality. Will let you know when Dingy's basement is up.

Don't expect tons o' people though - I am limited right now to 512K on my upload speed. If anyone hears about teh Linus version of the server, please let me know.

That's it for now!

First of all guys, they didnt remake 2k4. They made UT3 and I'm 100% with Wentz. We've played 2k4 for how many hours? I think I've played less than almost any of you and I've played for over 600. We've played UT3 for what? 5 hours? And yeah, it's a demo. It's not perfect, it needs work, and that's why the released it - so that they can get feedback.

Like Wentz said, I took out mantas last night with the scorpion, took out benders, took out a tank too (but that was just barely escaping with my life). I like the scorpion a lot, it's just plain fun to drive. Easier to run people over with too, since it turns like a RC car.

And for those of you who always complained that you couldnt fly a manta and turn like others could, well those days are over. It's a lower top-speed, but it's sick for turning and stopping on a dime.

Hellbender: didnt use it much, and yeah the rear-turret needs some more juice.

Hoverboards - faster than double-dodge jumping everywhere, as long as there's no one there to shoot you.

SPMA - I liked it. I saved Wentz a couple times with it, while he was being chased by a manta. If you can hide it well, then you can basically shoot anywhere on the map with a good position. I like that after you set up the satellite you dont just hit one area, you can still aim it.

If you approach this game thinking they tried to remake 2k4 to be more fun and prettier for us, then you're gonna hate it. It's a new game, new gametypes, new weapons, new... er... old sounds, and you can't say you hate it when you've only played it for 2 hours. Like Flitter said, we dont have warfare yet.

Oh yeah, and if you cant use a vehicle, dont complain about it, practice with it. Or just specialize in a different vehicle.

Edit: and we have crappy maps like wentz said. There's one good dm map in all of it, that's about it.

Edited by DarkArchon

If they were going to create a new game, they should have called it that. And nice tone in your reply DarkArchon.

Ditto that. And yes, Dark was alot of fun last night.

I remember when the UT2K4 demo came out, and there was a difference between the demo and gameplay.....

Granted, there are things that could have been done better, but in terms of what I saw, I liked.

It would have been nice to get a couple of the war maps included though...

As to the CTF portion - prior to UT2K4, all I played was CTF. What we were playing last nioght was pretty good...

The map could have been bigger.... It will be interesting to see how all the toys play in open spaces instead of the

close in stuff we were playiong last night.

If they were going to create a new game, they should have called it that. And nice tone in your reply DarkArchon.

Tone gets lost in text alone :(:shrug03: I wasnt mad or anything like that, and I wasnt trying to be condescending either.

There, if I edit the first post a little so it sounds different. :halo:

Edited by DarkArchon

No more link chaining, for healing or damage.

Nope, it does it automatically when you're standing next to them! :luxhello: You dont link to them for the power-upgrade, it just does it by proximity.

You can also hijack an unlocked vehicle just by touching it with the link alt-fire. Dont have to jump in then out anymore.

Edited by DarkArchon

You can't prove that by the experiment Primus and I just did.

No more link chaining, for healing or damage.

Nope, it does it automatically when you're standing next to them! :luxhello: You dont link to them for the power-upgrade, it just does it by proximity.

You can also hijack an unlocked vehicle just by touching it with the link alt-fire. Dont have to jump in then out anymore.

Werkd fer us last night... I was nailing a tank with my link, tried to link up to lex but it didnt let me. I was disheartended, until I realized that the sound of my shot changed while I was standing next to him.

Either that or I was high. Come to think of it...

Besides - We got you playing more. That's all that matters! :D

Edited by DarkArchon