big decision?

NOFX

I remember not to long ago Mags posted something along the same lines... and right now Im in a tough position and could use advice..

a little info here.. I graduated from a university in 05. I got extremely lucky and got a position as the lowest level programmer for a defense contractor about 5 hours from home. So I've been down here in Va Beach for a little over 2 years. I spent a month in Norway for the company(testing our system) and the day I came back, they laid off about 30% of the developer's. Since I spent so much time for these guys out in the field, my boss was able to save me. He found an opening for a different division, located in Panama City Beach, Florida. I ended up getting the job and Im working remotely from here. All of this happened May this year.

I feel like I've came along way in the 2+ years I've been here, I went from implementing minor changes to a panel->to doing major in field testing-> to the work I am doing now that I would consider software engineer status. Im designing a user interface/application from the ground up.

With all this being said and I have been working remotely for this division since May, I got an email this morning from them stating they have software work for years to come and they would like me to move down there.

I bought a townhouse last year and I really need to just break even when I sell it. Also, I make bare minimum for a computer programmer and I believe Im in a position to ask for a raise or some incentive for moving and for the type of work Im doing, but I don't want to sound like a donkey.

What would you do if you were in my position?

When is your company's year end?

If it is soon, the easiest thing would be to incorporate a % raise increase as part of your year end performance review, etc. If it is not soon, then this move may be a great platform to get your salary bumped up.. Relocation compensation should be standard.. as you are picking up and moving to a new region.

I think your best bet would be to find out what they are willing to offer to have you move down there. Look at the package and decide if it's worth it to pick everything up and start fresh.

..and you have to take the fact that they say they will have software work for years to come for what it's worth.

ps - Panama City is a great place for spring break!! woot

Obviously you have to ask them if they will cover relocation costs and to what amount. Also look at the cost of living compared to where you are right now, im sure you can find it on google somewhere lol. And like mags said, if it will make you happy go for it!

I did a little research and I believe I have plenty of time...

My year performance is every July... Regardless if I move or not, Im on this project until next June. They are going to fly me down a few times during this project and talk with me more and let me check the place out.

Of course they pay for everything associated with moving costs(as they did when I moved to this division). I guess I would need to see how much of a raise I could get and I did look at apartments online for a few seconds. Ones in panama city beach are about the same as they are here $850-1200. but I did see some in a city about 8 miles away for about $450 for a one bedroom, probably in the ghetto though... ahh decisions decisions.. but I do have plenty of time to think about this.

VA Beach rent and what not was already higher than the surrounding area of Hampton Roads. Not sure about Florida though since I never lived there. I would probably take the move, especially if you are single. It's Florida; what more do you need to know?

I bought a townhouse last year and I really need to just break even when I sell it.

Not knowing anything specific about the real estate market in your area, I'm going to hazard a guess this is a fairly unreasonable expectation. Unless you're in one of those tiny pockets of the country where the housing slowdown hasn't hit yet. (e.g. Manhattan.)

Just my sort-of-informed finance-nerd two cents. (This is all based off teh book-learningz.)

Edited by LtNubstix

There are so many factors that go into a large decision like this. Mag's advice is the most simple, but probably the best to work off of. If you feel that this will make you a happier person, it's worth it.

Also, I've always felt that it's better to try something and know, then not try and never know.

Don't forget about the hurricaines. But I guess you get some of those already in VA beach. If the stuff you are doing now has you underpaid, you should definitely ask for a bump (and not feel bad about it). Take a look at job postings that closely resemble what you are ACTUALLY doing... and go for that area. If you are valuable enough to relocate and lock in for a few years... they should pay to have you there. I mean think about what they would pay if they had to hire someone off the street to be doing what you will be doing.

VA Beach rent and what not was already higher than the surrounding area of Hampton Roads. Not sure about Florida though since I never lived there. I would probably take the move, especially if you are single. It's Florida; what more do you need to know?

x2