new build advice

Q6600 and maybe the Gigabyte P35 unless there are X38's that are closer to your budget... I'm not sure abut that though. Q6600 for sure though. I already got shot down for recommending the evga 680i, so I wont mention that board here... ;)

Edit: we canadians help those who arent out to help us anyway :P

Edited by DarkArchon

Hey Chip - Where are you in Lansing so I can come steal your 8800 haha.

Your build looks identical to mine so far.

I ended up going with the Asus Striker Extreme board and a E6550 chip, both from hardforum.com.

Dark mentions the EVGA board and I read a lot of good things about it as well. They offer a better tech support plan but who really calls tech support anymore? haha.

I almost went with the Quad chip but since I am upgrading from a 3700+ system I figured the C2D is good enough and due to my board being upgradeable I can always pick up a Quad when the prices fall farther in 6 months.

I was in the exact same position..didnt wanna spend alot of cash since this is not the best time to upgrade with all the new stuff coming so I bought a DFI Lanparty NF590 and an AMD 5000+ Black Edition. The cpu only goes for 129 bucks, and it is built on the 65nm process and it is unlocked! I think its a good bang for the buck because people are running them at 3.3 ghz with NO problems at all !!

I havent assembled mine yet...but I have faith in my choice, especially for the super cheap price! AND, from what they say...the newer AMD quad cores that are coming soon will still use the same socket...they dont want a repeat of the last time they switched too early.

Q6600 and maybe the Gigabyte P35 unless there are X38's that are closer to your budget... I'm not sure abut that though. Q6600 for sure though. I already got shot down for recommending the evga 680i, so I wont mention that board here... ;)

Edit: we canadians help those who arent out to help us anyway :P

I have an EVGA 680i board (the T1 version) and I love it! :-) It's close to $200 though....(179.99 after MIR).

That being said, the Q6600 will eat up his entire budget. I'd go with the e6550--you can OC the crap out of it (especially on that EVGA board) and you can do it on air.

Hey Chip -

I am doing the exact same thing as you...

I did a lot of RAID research and reading and I wanted to pass along some of this info:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=...#post1031710143

http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=29

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1244860

It changed my mind on RAID configurations.

As far as the board - go with one that has the 680i chipset, not 650i. There is a ton of arguments on which one is best - it seems to be split between the EVGA board, 680i 122-CK-NF68-A1, and the Asus Striker Extreme and the new super board they have that is WAY too expensive. I went with the Asus due to the easier OC abilities, whereas EVGA offers better Tech Support but who needs that anymore haha.

If you are interested in a E6550 there is a guy on hardforums selling them for $125 a pop when he gets them in - mine arrives today.

I am just about 15 minutes from Lansing so give me your address so I can come steal your vid card!

Good to know Dark - I have no experience with it yet. As I re-read my post it seems like I do but that is a mistake, I am going off solely what I have read in many forums. There is a huge battle it seems between the EVGA and the Asus people - kind of like ATI vs Nvidia. It appeared that most thought the Asus was easier to overclock everything, but the EVGA could do it but it took more time.

Like I said above though - I only have what I read, my board is still not in yet - I am anxiously waiting on the USPS guy now!! haha.

I guess it depends on the way they have the bios set up? With the evga, I just unlock the ram from the fsb, set the fsb value to whatever I want, and presto you're in. I guess you have to calculate by dividing by a 4, but that's not exactly hard for a math major. :) No stupid eigenvalues/eigenfunctions to calculate :D

I had the Asus A8N sli Premium with an x2 4200+ before, and I found that the evga bios was easier to use for overclocking, but that may just be the way my brain works, understanding how they have it set up. I liked the Asus too, but I like the evga a little better. Mind you, that was a year ago, so the asus bios might have changed on the newer boards.

I guess it's just preference really...

the nvidia 650i and 680i are not forwards compatible with intel's new 45nm cpu. i've suspected it for a while and now it's 100% verified. i've never recommended them for a reason. :)

LOL you knew all along eh? *rolls eyes*

well they never announced official support so i read into that. plus it's been common rumour for a while.