well..just bought my first DSLR

Shazz

Its a Nikon...hope you people are Nikon friendly. Cause I am a noob.

I bought the D40 with two lenses. The 18-55mm and the new 55-200 VR lens (vibration reduction).

Gotta sweet deal on it with a extra 4 hour battery and 5 year warranty (which isn't bad at all). Plus 4 uv and polar type filters...still noobish here.

Anyway. Here is where I got some recommendation. Ken Rockwell is a well known photographer and here is what he said about it http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm also here is his dedicated page to the D40 http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Any tips or computer programs (advice) are greatly welcomed. I would also like to get one of those portable hard drives that you can put your SD card into and it will download all your picks onto it. Anyone know if those are worth the money? I don't wanna lug around my laptop for that. Plus backing up my photos. Tips on that I really need.

:)

Awesome! DSLR's are a lot of fun. And it sounds like you're off to a good start -- the D40 is a good starter camera, and Ken Rockwell has a lot of good information.

As far as the portable hard drives go, are you planning on taking a TON of pictures? Or a lot in RAW mode? If so, that'd be a good investment. Otherwise, skip the expense -- digital photography can quickly become an expensive hobby. :)

• 1 month later...

Yep, I'm still shooting the D70, all good though. I found Rockwell's site several years ago, there's a wealth of info on there. Don't think I'll bother updating until I can afford the full frame digital. My next purchase is going to be a couple of lights for a home studio. As far as cards and storage goes. I have two 2-gig cards and I very rarely run out of space in one day. I shoot in the highest jpeg settings. If I'm out for the weekend or long for a vacation I just leave the lappy in the hotel room and when I'm done shooting at lunch or dinner or whenever I dump my pics, reformat, and I'm ready for the next day....

Nah, I really need to do that. I have tons on my computer but I have never uploaded them. What are some good sites to view photos? I know of photobucket, but again...I have never fooled with uploading them. So I am a bit noobish on photo sites. Any recommendations?

• 1 year later...

woot NIKON! nice, im sure you love it, and im sure weeks from now your gonna end up upgrading, thats what happened to me, lol d40 => D60 => now D90

and FLICKR is the way to go. share your picssss i got flickr as well, not as many pics as it should be but yeah.

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, I saw the email first, and thought "who is this guy?" Then hopped on here. :)

I like your style - it seems like you're fascinated with DOF/patterns, and sometimes portraits. Do you have anything in mind as you're taking these pictures, or is it more of a "hey, I wonder what this would look like" kinda thing?

Heh, I saw the email first, and thought "who is this guy?" Then hopped on here. :)

I like your style - it seems like you're fascinated with DOF/patterns, and sometimes portraits. Do you have anything in mind as you're taking these pictures, or is it more of a "hey, I wonder what this would look like" kinda thing?

yea i loved dof/bokehs, and love wide angles, im waiting for a new lens to come in. :: 50mm f/1.4 fave lens for now

I usually try to picture something out in my mind to how i want the pictures to turn out, then when that comes in I look for objects/subjects to take pics of and see if I can come out with the result I thought of. and sometimes I do take random shots, I mean, who doesnt right? and sometimes I end up liking them.