Need suggestions for a good book for vacation.

ConGregation

I was going to read the last entry to the The Song Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. But the library doesn't have it. And since the series will probably be done by the time I am 70, I figured it could wait.

I really don't read much fantasy at all. Can anybody recommend a rich fantasy epic book or series? And if you are a fan of The Song of Ice and Fire then I can actually listen to your recommendation ;)

I absolutely love Song of Ice and Fire.

I recommend Wheel of Time (though not for vacation)

I highly recommend Robin Hobb's first 3 trilogies. The 1st and the 3rd should be read as a 6 part series, the 2nd trilogy can be read separately...and it's my favorite...some of the best characters I've ever read, and the evil is rather ambiguous...which makes for good conflict and conflict is what drives literature. It's also not typically what would be classified as Fantasy.

I'll be honest and say that her 4th trilogy is pretty much crap.

For some good vacation reading though, I would recommend taking along a copy of Legends (Volume 1, 2, or 3). It's a great way to find new authors as well as read new stories by those you already know you like.

There is one other really good trilogy I'd recommend (because it's light reading) but I can't remember the name of it right now...

Then there is always the original Dragonlance trilogy. It is a bit simplistic, but in my opinion, it is one of the most influential and greatest pieces of fantasy literature ever written.

I'll raid my bookshelf tonight for non-Fantasy suggestions if you really want. :)

Thanks for the reply, Playaa!

When I say vacation it's not really vacation. My work shuts down for three weeks over Christmas (Amish holidays stuff) and I really like a big book to kind of sink into. Plenty of time to 'waste'. Normally I might keep a book on my nightstand and read a little just before bed, but this is the time to read for hours straight. So it has to be gripping and yet meaty enough to keep me going for awhile.

I picked up the the third book in the 'Hermux Tantamoq' series but it falls way short. My daughter had it from the library. For starters the first one was VERY inventive but sequels kind of lose that flair. And it is as gripping as a wet noodle. I just have to say for trips, the audio versions of those books are GREAT. The guy reading them is the best. But it is the furthest thing from an epic fantasy.

I have heard about the Wheel of Time (even played the demo based on that series) but never tried it. I guess it doesn't have to be fantasy. I can enjoy any genre of writing as long as it is done well.

Awww Playaa... you didn't mention any Terry Brooks :P.

I would definitely try out the Sword of Shannara by Terry Brokos Congregation. He's another really good fantasy author IMO, and he has a lot of books. Also, if you like alternative history/fantasy try some of Harry Turtledove's books. The darkness series is really good. It's about World War II in a fantasy world, where dragons replace air power, rhinoceros like creatures with cannons that shoot fire beams replace tanks etc.

That's because I've never read the Sword of Shannara series...probably because everytime I hear the name I confuse it with another series that has the word "sword" in it that had alot of violence, including sexual violence that I just couldn't stand. Still can't remember what series that was though.Sword of Truth...that's the one. Don't read that.

(edited)

If you are willing to read something beyond the fantasy realm.. check out Tony Dungy's book.. Quiet Strength.... it's a great book about faith and you'll fly through it in 6-8 hours..

Edited by mohawk