FTP Hosting Advice

aMnesiac

I was looking at the review sites for FTP hosting and they all seem to be reviewed by the hosting company in question, maybe I'm just not looking at the right place though.

At any rate, my friend and I are working on music and we use a lot of samples. We want an easy way to share them with each other without having to put them on an external drive that would be traded back and forth. This way we can just upload a sample and then grab it off the FTP and go. Does anyone know of any good FTP hosts that aren't really expensive?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by aMnesiac

Thanks for the replies everyone. I read some reviews at webhostingjusry.com and SJ told me about the hosting service he uses. I think I'm going to go with his suggestion, they got decent reviews and that way if there are ever any problems with the service I can get it resolved without having to bother anyone else.

(edited)
dreamhost

yes!

...and that way if there are ever any problems with the service I can get it resolved without having to bother anyone else.

wait, does that mean i'm tech support?

i expect in house support sj... kinda like home doctor visits. use your imagination. :D

Edited by aMnesiac

oh you poor soul, primus. i was a 1&1 customer for 3 months--only because it took me that long to cancel. btw, with dreamhost, you can host as many sites as you want from 1 account. i have 3 domains and 9 subdomains on one account.

let me know when you want a coupon code and help transferring ;)

only if you sign up for the month term.

If you decide - within the first 97 days of your time with us - that DreamHost isn't for you, we will gladly close your account and refund any payments you've made to us within those first 97 days.

i know there are cheaper hosting options available, but for the money, this has been the best i've found. great cpanel, insane quotas, and single-contact support.

When I signed up for dreamhost I had a $97 off a yearly plan coupon.

So 119-97=22/12 $1.80cents a month for

243gb of storage (grows 2gb more each week) and new users signing up today start at 500gb

4800gb of bandwitch (grows 40 gigs each week)

unlimited domains/mysql/basically everything

I cant complain, couldnt be happier

• 2 weeks later...

Try using that much space and see if they let you. I guarantee you that if you used 500 gb of space and all the bandwidth allotted you that you would no longer be welcome there. That is the world of shared web hosting. With that said, I signed up with dreamhost recently and avoided the billing snafu today.

Yeah it was a little weird getting an e·mail saying my payment was past due since late November 2008.

The bandwidth quota DreamHost gives is only about double what GoDaddy is offering for $15/mo. Not really that far out there, apparently.

It's the way the shared web hosting business works. They tell you that you have all this massive amount of space and bandwidth which is mostly a marketing tool. Most shared web hosting providers could not support everyone using the max but expect most will use very little of the space. So the very few who actually use the full bandwidth and space each month are not impacted or impacting anyone else. If the server you are on ends up being over sold and maxed out and there are users on there hitting their ridiculous quotas every month, they will be "asked" to move to a VPS or dedicated hosting. Seen that happen so many times.