PayPal STILL sucks...

[LaW]Maverick

So you guys remember when, several months ago, I originally posted up a complaint about PayPal?

Well, the short story is this: They charged my bank account in error, my bank went to them and told them so and the money went back to my account. I then used that money to pay for my item directly through the eBay vendor which is exactly what I was told to do by the PayPal "manager" that I talked to.

So what did PayPal do? They charged the company I bought the product from $511.30 (the cost of the product) and put THEIR account into the negative. So the vendor's bank went to PayPal, told them they screwed up, and the vendor got their money back. So then PayPal charged my account AGAIN for the $511.30 and reported me to collections.

In other words, I think they may be hearing from a lawyer in the near future, and I've already reported this incident to the Electronic Crimes Task Force (a branch of the Secret Service) and they agree that it is definitely fraudulent. I'm pretty ticked to say the least. So...be careful with PayPal! :boo:

(edited)

well, this is pretty good timing on this subject. I recently sold Unclean my XBox 360, via these forums. He sent me the money via paypal and I sent him the xbox. The day I mailed the xbox. Paypal put my account on restriction because they tried to call my old phone number and it was disconnected??????

So I updated my phone number, now they want me to scan in my drivers license or Passport and mail it to them, the also want to verify my address with a phone number, since I have a cell phone, this cannot work and they have to mail me something and I return it in the mail. I also have to provide them a tracking number on which I sent the item.

What is it with paypal? My transaction with Nick is none of paypal's business. It's the principal of the whole matter that gets me. I also have to say they restricted my Ebay account as well. What the heck does ebay have to do with this???

I basically wrote them and email telling them I will not scan in this information, there is no point. They have my checkcard number with my billing address. I also told them that if they did not resolve this within a few days, to refund him the money, I would gladly accept a money order or check, it will avoid paypal's 12 dollar fee.

Edited by NOFX

Oh man... my ebay account is restricted too. No where in there did we specify ebay, put in an ebay ID number, or anything of that sort.

Hearing about these paypal horror stories has me nervous. Perhaps it's time to call the bank and see if they can reverse the charge if I can show them that the funds have not been disbursed to NOFX yet.

Well... I spoke to a cube monkey who was of absolutely no help. He said if one of us failed to send in our ID's, paypal would hold the money indefinitely. I asked him if he would refund the money and he said he could not do it. I asked if I needed to get a lawyer because there's no way Im going to send him my ID. He gave me a run around and I then told him I am now forced to contact my lawyer since paypal will neither refund the money or give it to me and I then hung up on him.

I called back hoping to get someone else and I guess my number was flagged, because I spoke with a person who didn't ask me the useless routine crap at the beginning of every customer service call(so Im assuming it was a manager). I simply asked is there any way possible you can refund the money. She said yes and I followed the steps she gave me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Meh, I followed their steps too...I hope your steps actually work.

did this "manager" still have an Indian accent? The one I talked to did. Hahaha...

Oh, and SJ, I'm really feelin' the love, thanks...I be this whole problem was caused by some sort of error on a new MAC server at PayPal....

After talking to them again today, they said I should get a call back "soon, possibly today" from their collections department so that I can resolve the issue. If don't get a phone call by tomorrow afternoon, I will call them and inform them that I am pursuing legal action and need to know the name of their local legal representative to whom I can serve the papers because this is just ridiculous. Not only have they dinged my credit (and aren't taking the necessary steps to fix it), but the original transaction that caused the problem was from OCTOBER.

Basically, they suck. I hope this all works out for you guys though. I had to go through the same verification crap because I only have a cell phone as well, and you know what? I never filled out or did anything with the verification they gave me in the mail, but somehow after the first time I threatened legal action, my account was magically verified! Amazing how that happens. Oh, the negative balance was still there, but it's verified.

Oh, and with a name and extension number, they could not connect me to the guy I originally spoke with, and the lady I spoke to told me that she could not transfer me to his department directly either--even though that's how I originally got in contact with his department. Man, I really hate PayPal.

Both of you put together something and email it to the guys at this site. http://consumerist.com/ The last thing Paypal/Ebay will want is something negative about them on this site. Things get done when you involve this site as well.

p.s.

Verify your grammar and spelling before sending anything to them. I see that a lot and I am less inclined to believe them when i see that.

Both of you put together something and email it to the guys at this site. http://consumerist.com/ The last thing Paypal/Ebay will want is something negative about them on this site. Things get done when you involve this site as well.

p.s.

Verify your grammar and spelling before sending anything to them. I see that a lot and I am less inclined to believe them when i see that.

Not a bad idea, I'll look into it. Thanks ZD

Oh, and SJ, I'm really feelin' the love, thanks...I be this whole problem was caused by some sort of error on a new MAC server at PayPal....

if it were a mac, you'd have your money back AND a new sense of style.

-peace.

Update:

Well, I spent over 2 hours on the phone with PayPal today and had to actually threaten legal action to GET to a supervisor. Once I got to the supervisor, she agreed to fix the problem within about 5 minutes of being connected with me. So, yeah, hopefully the problem actually gets fixed. I'm glad I don't have to pursue real legal action--that was going to suck.

Update:

Well, I spent over 2 hours on the phone with PayPal today and had to actually threaten legal action to GET to a supervisor. Once I got to the supervisor, she agreed to fix the problem within about 5 minutes of being connected with me. So, yeah, hopefully the problem actually gets fixed. I'm glad I don't have to pursue real legal action--that was going to suck.

Did they give you an ETA on that resolution? They told NOFX last week that they'd clear up the issue, but it's been a few days now and still no resolution.

They said by the end of the day today.

They just (about 5 minutes ago) credited back my account, but get this. Instead of crediting my account the $511.30 that I was negative, they credited my account $511.03, so the balance is still - $.27!

Wow...

They said I'd have a copy of the letter that they send the credit bureaus by the end of the week. If it's been more than a day, I'd call them back. I'll be calling them again tonight at some point. I'm really not looking forward to it. Being on hold for 40 minutes for 27 cents doesn't excite me.

Hey, they must have been reading this thread, since they refunded the money to my account today. It's a step in the right direction. My account is still set to "Limited Account" status, but it's getting closer. Now I can at least send NOFX the money outside of ebay. NOFX, is your account still "Limited" too?

Yeah, they were definitely reading this thread. Mav's problems are resolved, and mine are too. Not sure about NOFX yet.

I got the account restriction removed, and here's a step-by-step method in case any of you run into the same problem and don't want to send them your drivers license:

Step 1: Call Paypal, talk to incompetent rep who lies about being able to remove the restriction without submitting a driver's license.

Step 2: Get incompetent rep so flustered that she transfers you to "her supervisor", who is actually just escalations.

Step 3: Explain the exact same situation to the level 2 rep, but lie and say you don't have a driver's license because you have a speeding ticket/DUI/etc

Step 4: Find out from level 2 rep that it's ok to just take a digital camera pic of a utility bill and upload that

Step 5: Get the account restriction removed, and get this email:

Dear [unclean],

Our review is complete and we have restored your account.

We appreciate your patience and thank you for your help in making PayPal

the safest and most trusted online payment solution.

Sincerely,

PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you

will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account

and click the Help link located in the top right corner of any page. If

your inquiry is regarding a claim, log in to your PayPal account and go to

the Resolution Center.

----------------------------------------------------------------

PayPal Email ID PP820