For those of you who have your XB360 &/or PS3

MrDuke

giving kids a PS2 is like handing them a piece of fragile glass shaped like a ball that has the words "Throw me down on the ground for a cool special effect."

Hahaha...seriously, PS2's are fragile...even most Sony Fanboys admit that, but when I worked for Gamestop I saw at least one defective PS2 a day...at LEAST. However, you can literally kick a Gamecube down the stairs and still play the thing later.

Just my 2-cents! :) (not to mention that PS2's have a tendency to fail randomly even if you don't play rough)

P.S.: I know Sony people are going to say "oh, but your 360 has a huge failure rate." So let me curb the comments now by saying this: at least MS realized they made a mistake with early production models, fixed it, and extended the warranty out to 3 years to take care of their customers whereas Sony eliminated backwards compatibility from their PS3's and still makes systems with crappy lasers in the PS2's. :peace:

I will echo Mav's sentiments here, although the glass ball analogy was a little..... uh.... "different".

I bought a PS2 five or so years ago, and I loved it until the day I sold it to ZD in September. The problem? I was on my third PS2 console at that point. First one wasn't covered by BB replacement program, second one was. They were both the larger original design and both crapped out on me (same basic laser problem both times). The third was one of the slim ones, and it seemed pretty solid. You definitely don't want to mistreat it though - bumping the lid for the discs would generally cause them to freeze up and lose whatever it was I was doing.

On the other hand, I watched a video of someone beating the crap out of a gamecube and still having it work afterwards. If you can find enough good games for your kids on the gamecube, I would recommend it as well even though I never owned one. The better titles for the PS2 seemed to be for the more teen-adult crowd. Nintendo has always been more kid-friendly.

*side note - I'm actually secretly hoping my 360 red lights me so I can get a free replacement from bestbuy with an HDMI port :) Then I could go hd-dvd drive!

The Wii is the best console out there IMO.

Do NOT get a 360. I picked up a 360 about 5 months ago and it's already dead. I got about 40 hours of use out of the blasted thing before the three red blinking lights of death appeared. :angry:

Do NOT get a 360. I picked up a 360 about 5 months ago and it's already dead. I got about 40 hours of use out of the blasted thing before the three red blinking lights of death appeared. :angry:

The failure rate of the 360's is a lot higher than it should be, but with the most recent versions of the system they supposedly fixed most of the hardware issues. Mine was a launch day system, and it died finally last month--but it was a launch day system.. I had it for a long time. :-)

Hopefully I don't have trouble with my replacement.

You should be able to find a used Gamecube for $50 to $70. I'm not sure how much Gamestop is selling them for now-a-days, but I'm sure it's dirt cheap.

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

The failure rate of the 360's is a lot higher than it should be, but with the most recent versions of the system they supposedly fixed most of the hardware issues. Mine was a launch day system, and it died finally last month--but it was a launch day system.. I had it for a long time. :-)

Hopefully I don't have trouble with my replacement.

You should be able to find a used Gamecube for $50 to $70. I'm not sure how much Gamestop is selling them for now-a-days, but I'm sure it's dirt cheap.

:P besides having to send in my launch xb360 like 2-3months after i got it... ever since they gave me a new one i never had any issues. :o